Difference in Speed on a Gravel Path

hmmm16

Aug 3, 2014
I've recently moved and found a nice track for me to cycle on, however about half of it is sort of gravel path. It's not bumpy but it is certainly nowhere near as smooth a a road. How much do you reckon this will slow me down, say cycling around 230km/h?

Thanks for any help

Whoa, 230 km/hour? You're the fastest cyclist on earth. :big-smile: I'm assuming that you mean 23 km/hour. How loose is the gravel? Depending on your tire size, and how packed the gravel is, probably not a lot.

Haha yeah I am rapid!!

Yes I mean 23km/h. The gravel is not too dense, there is enough as you could slide about on it in shoes in some patches (other patches it can be just rough road). I'm using 23mm tires. I appreciate that this is a pretty vague question, but thanks for the help!

Haha yeah I am rapid!!

Yes I mean 23km/h. The gravel is not too dense, there is enough as you could slide about on it in shoes in some patches (other patches it can be just rough road). I'm using 23mm tires. I appreciate that this is a pretty vague question, but thanks for the help!

FWIW. By my reckoning, if you don't have fenders on your bike AND if you are not at-the-moment involved in a competitive ride, then you will probably end up riding at about HALF the speed you would normally ride at when you are on pavement ...

BTW. If your bike's frame can handle them, then you may want larger tires/tubes (e.g., 700x28, or larger).

The roads on which I cycle are generally smooth. But there is a strip mall located nearby that has adopted an old Italian village aesthetic. The property developers of this mall even went as far as ensuring that the entry paths into the parking area are made up of gravel. And there are even several cobbled paths located further in as one proceeds through the premises. I've found it difficult to cycle at a consistent speed on these gravel paths, my speed drops anything from 30 - 50%.

I go on gravel tracks quite often but I have to admit I don't take much notice of any speed differences. The gravel is quite compact and small in size and although my tyres are quite wide and chunky, I still worry about slipping when I need to turn.

Still, I do find gravel tracks great fun. I love the sound of the gravel under the wheels.

Dirt roads are common here in our village and I have no problem with that road condition. When it rains and there are potholes, I am wary of riding because of the muddy roads. But I can survive the said road conditions simply because I am used to it. But with a gravel path? Isn't it dangerous to traverse a gravel path with the thin wheels of the bike? I haven't ridden on a gravel path but my impression is I wouldn't use a bike on that kind of road. I'd rather walk.

Corzhens said:
Dirt roads are common here in our village and I have no problem with that road condition. When it rains and there are potholes, I am wary of riding because of the muddy roads. But I can survive the said road conditions simply because I am used to it. But with a gravel path? Isn't it dangerous to traverse a gravel path with the thin wheels of the bike? I haven't ridden on a gravel path but my impression is I wouldn't use a bike on that kind of road. I'd rather walk.
I think it all depends on how loose the gravel is and how much of it there is. A light covering of gravel over a mud track is ok for cycling on, as is what many country tracks are like around here, but there are some areas that have quite deep all gravel tracks and they can be a little tricky to ride on but it can still be done with a bit of care. This is with a mountain bikes tyres in mind. A road bike I would be much more wary of but I guess the same concept applies but with extra care.