Differences between different tires? Help. PLEEEASE!

chick on wheels

Jul 7, 2009
so i got a question. can someone please explain the different types of tires to me?

• what essentially are tubeless, tubular, clincher, and are there any other main ones?
  • on what types of bike or for what purpose would each one be used?
Contrary to the nature of my question I m not completely bike retarded so feel free to get into depth and get technical because I want to know!

Please and thank you! :D

chick on wheels said:
so i got a question. can someone please explain the different types of tires to me?

• what essentially are tubeless, tubular, clincher, and are there any other main ones?
  • on what types of bike or for what purpose would each one be used?
Contrary to the nature of my question I m not completely bike retarded so feel free to get into depth and get technical because I want to know!

Please and thank you! :D

Well, I guess I could type it up here, but I'll redirect you to the patron saint of all internet-connected cyclists instead:
Sheldon Brown:

He doesn't appear to have much to say about tubeless, so I suppose I'll better add some about that in myself.

Tubeless tires are used for mountain bikes, and due to the use of special sealing compounds, rim-tire-valve design they can be used w/o inner tubes. The main advantage to this is that it lets you get away with using lower tire pressures(which is good for traction) w/o running the same risk of pinch flats as you would for tube + tire setup at the same pressure.

dabac said:
Tubeless tires are used for mountain bikes, and due to the use of special sealing compounds, rim-tire-valve design they can be used w/o inner tubes. The main advantage to this is that it lets you get away with using lower tire pressures(which is good for traction) w/o running the same risk of pinch flats as you would for tube + tire setup at the same pressure.

One might add that tubeless tires are now also being offered for road bikes, although right now there is only one company (Hutchinson) offering them. You also need special rims for these, and you have to put some tire sealant into the tire as well. Advantages are: less weight (no tube required), and lower rolling resistance. Disadvantages are: bleeding edge, unproven technology, no choice between manufacturers, hassle and mess with tire sealant. I'd stay away from them, for now.

Dietmar said:
One might add that tubeless tires are now also being offered for road bikes, ..

Didn't know that.
Dietmar said:
...Advantages are: less weight ..

Is it really? Last time I checked (for MTB) Schwalbe Fast Fred + thin tubes was still a lighter combo than tubeless tires on a mavic XC rim.

Dietmar said:
...lower rolling resistance.
That I can believe.