Differences between Shimano, Tange & IRD sealed bearing BBs

* * Chas

Guest
Opinions please on Shimano, Tange & IRD sealed bearing bottom brackets.

Specifically for 68mm, BSC thread BBs and square drive double chainring
cranks.

Chas.

* * Chas wrote:
> Opinions please on Shimano, Tange & IRD sealed bearing bottom brackets.
> Specifically for 68mm, BSC thread BBs and square drive double chainring
> cranks.

differences-
All IRD are made by Tange, whereas only some Shimano are made by Tange.

Under the IRD & Tange labels a separate replaceable bearing sits in
chromed steel cups.

With the Shimano version, the stamped assembly with lesser bearing
quality is not serviceable and one cup is integral to the cartridge (
either actually part of the case or plastic, glued on -various models).
Of course the Shimano ones cost more because they are cheaper to
manufacture. (always sell the deficiency as a 'feature'!)

-no opinion, we stock all of them.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Andrew,

Will the IRD BB work on Dura Ace crank with V1 Spline end?
Now I have a seald Ultegra BB with a V1 Spline end, but would be
interested in IRD BB if better.
BB seems like an important efficiency factor with better bearings.

They sure do run nice I have to admit, but servicability is important
if the same performance level
can be as good or better; which they should be with better bearings,
but don't know how its better exactly: performance, replace bearing
only, service life, etc...

Thank You,
Phil Bailey

A Muzi wrote:
> * * Chas wrote:
> > Opinions please on Shimano, Tange & IRD sealed bearing bottom brackets.
> > Specifically for 68mm, BSC thread BBs and square drive double chainring
> > cranks.

> differences-
> All IRD are made by Tange, whereas only some Shimano are made by Tange.
>
> Under the IRD & Tange labels a separate replaceable bearing sits in
> chromed steel cups.
>
> With the Shimano version, the stamped assembly with lesser bearing
> quality is not serviceable and one cup is integral to the cartridge (
> either actually part of the case or plastic, glued on -various models).
> Of course the Shimano ones cost more because they are cheaper to
> manufacture. (always sell the deficiency as a 'feature'!)
>
> -no opinion, we stock all of them.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

>> * * Chas wrote:
>>> Opinions please on Shimano, Tange & IRD sealed bearing bottom brackets.
>>> Specifically for 68mm, BSC thread BBs and square drive double chainring
>>> cranks.

> A Muzi wrote:
>> differences-
>> All IRD are made by Tange, whereas only some Shimano are made by Tange.
>> Under the IRD & Tange labels a separate replaceable bearing sits in
>> chromed steel cups.
>> With the Shimano version, the stamped assembly with lesser bearing
>> quality is not serviceable and one cup is integral to the cartridge (
>> either actually part of the case or plastic, glued on -various models).
>> Of course the Shimano ones cost more because they are cheaper to
>> manufacture. (always sell the deficiency as a 'feature'!)
>> -no opinion, we stock all of them.

ddog top posted:
> Will the IRD BB work on Dura Ace crank with V1 Spline end?
> Now I have a seald Ultegra BB with a V1 Spline end, but would be
> interested in IRD BB if better.
> BB seems like an important efficiency factor with better bearings.
>
> They sure do run nice I have to admit, but servicability is important
> if the same performance level
> can be as good or better; which they should be with better bearings,
> but don't know how its better exactly: performance, replace bearing
> only, service life, etc...

I was discussing square taper BB systems, by far the overwhelming standard.

All the various spline formats are another discussion - and you aren't
talking regular $25 BBs any more. IRD has 3 at $50, $100, $200 - but
none for that particular application AFAIK. Shimano obsoleted several
formats recently and still hasn't finalized their search . . .
--

ddog wrote:

> Will the IRD BB work on Dura Ace crank with V1 Spline end?
> Now I have a seald Ultegra BB with a V1 Spline end, but would be
> interested in IRD BB if better.

Just to clarify, IRD and Tange only make BBs in Square taper and Isis
Spline. While there are some third-party Octalink crank manufacturers,
I don't know of anyone but Shimano who makes Octalink BBs.

Hank Wirtz wrote:
> Just to clarify, IRD and Tange only make BBs in Square taper and Isis
> Spline. While there are some third-party Octalink crank manufacturers,
> I don't know of anyone but Shimano who makes Octalink BBs.

Thanks Hank. I did see Campy used them as well in 9 speeds so there
must be other
good vendors available. But Shimano BB may be hard to beat. I hear
5K-6K miles per Ultegra BB.
Maybe this will be one item the LBS will exclusively support me. It
does work fine I'll have to admit!