Differences in fit and technique between Merckx era and today?

andrello

Aug 29, 2004
In watching old Eddy Merckx races it's easy to notice all the riders bouncing their upper bodies especially during the climbs. Nowadays you don't see riders moving their torsos at all. Why?

Is it because today's riders are raised up and leaned over more? If so why weren't they optimized to this position in the past?

Merckx looked to me like he had a terrific position on the bike. I've really only ever seen film of him crunching a massive gear uphill and he is all over the bike trying to get everything out of it. He certainly wasn't a stylist but who needs to be with that sort of strength.

I think some guys today still sway around a bit under pressure. Could be that the guys 30 years ago were just struggling to keep up with Eddy.

When I was a young cyclist my father use to make me ride along with my hands just resting on top of the bars without gripping them. He then insisted that I just concentrate on my pedalling. This was to try and get the sway out of my shoulders which he always insisted I had.
Things change. Ideas about position change. Maybe in another 30 years things will look different to what they do now.