Differences in Ultegra STI?

Joel Rose

Guest
I am considering the Flight Deck and have noticed that some retailers suggest a specific hood in
order to fit the system. I currently have Ultegra but I don't know if it is 6501 or 6510. What is
the difference? My current shifters have 'Flight Deck' printed on the levers if this helps.

Thanks for any advice, Joel Rose

>I am considering the Flight Deck and have noticed that some retailers suggest a specific hood in
>order to fit the system. I currently have Ultegra but I don't know if it is 6501 or 6510. What is
>the difference?

The first generation Ultegra STI units that were Flight Deck compatible had the start/stop and mode
buttons on the right hood only. Newer units have the mode button on the right hood, and the
start/stop button on the left (it might be the other way 'round, but no matter.)

So...if you bike's Ultegra has the hood with two button bulges on one side, you may need to get new
hoods (I don't know if Shimano still has the old, right-side button only wire harnesses available.)

>My current shifters have 'Flight Deck' printed on the levers if this helps.

No, it doesn't. ;)

Russell

Trekkie, Disnoid =B0o=B0, and Sheena Easton fan

"Life will teach you all you need to know, but only Love Will Make You Wise"- Sheena Easton

http://community.webtv.net/TrekkeRuss/TheTrekkieDisnoido

Come see Sheena Easton, Live at G-A-Y! http://community.webtv.net/CrazyForSheena/SheenaEastonLiveatG

Pictures from my trip to the grand opening of the newest Disney theme park in Tokyo, Nippon!
http://community.webtv.net/TrekkeRuss/TokyoDisneySeaIn

"Joel Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am considering the Flight Deck and have noticed that some retailers suggest a specific hood in
> order to fit the system. I currently have
Ultegra
> but I don't know if it is 6501 or 6510. What is the difference? My current shifters have 'Flight
> Deck' printed on the levers if this helps.
>
> Thanks for any advice, Joel Rose

You can peel the rear portion of the hoods forward, and the model number of the levers is cast on
the outer part of the shifter body. This is covered when the hoods are in their normal position.

As far as I am aware if it says Flight Deck on the hoods it should be compatible.try this link for
some help. http://bike.shimano.com/Road/Ultegra/componenttemplate.asp?partnumber=ST-651 0

When installing the Flight Deck make sure you put the little pads under the switches in the hoods as
it won't work properly for long with out them.Unless they have done a redesign since I got mine.

Sam Salt

"Joel Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am considering the Flight Deck and have noticed that some retailers suggest a specific hood in
> order to fit the system. I currently have
Ultegra
> but I don't know if it is 6501 or 6510. What is the difference? My current shifters have 'Flight
> Deck' printed on the levers if this helps.
>
> Thanks for any advice, Joel Rose

Joel Rose asked:

>>I am considering the Flight Deck and have noticed that some retailers suggest a specific hood in
>>order to fit the system. I currently have Ultegra but I don't know if it is 6501 or 6510. What is
>>the difference?

Russell Yim answered:

> The first generation Ultegra STI units that were Flight Deck compatible had the start/stop and
> mode buttons on the right hood only. Newer units have the mode button on the right hood, and the
> start/stop button on the left (it might be the other way 'round, but no matter.)
>
> So...if you bike's Ultegra has the hood with two button bulges on one side, you may need to get
> new hoods (I don't know if Shimano still has the old, right-side button only wire harnesses
> available.)

My 105 STI brifters have the hoods with both bumps on the right lever, but I installed the newer
style Flight Deck harness, with one button on each side.

It works fine, even though the left hood doesn't have the little pimple.

| Always listen to the experts. | They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. | Then do it.
| --Robert A. Heinlein |