Different Brand Oatmeal Flakes

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dee Randall, Mar 31, 2006.

  1. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    This is Old Wessex that I bought at Wegman's
    http://tinypic.com/so0j0k.jpg
    Irish on the left; Scottish on the right

    Here is a picture of the two compared in jars
    http://tinypic.com/so0ih3.jpg
    Irish on the left; Scottish on the right

    Here is a picture of the two compared outside of jars
    You can't tell much difference on a piece of paper; but in the jar you can
    see that there is a lot of the Irish oats broken up, whereas the Scottish
    flakes are pretty well intact.
    Irish on the left; Scottish on the right
    http://tinypic.com/so0i8i.jpg

    We had Irish yesterday and Scottish today.
    As indicated by the pictures, the texture (with closely-copied cooking) of
    the Irish was mushey, and the Scottish retained the flakes.

    Was fun to do,
    Dee Dee

    Tags:

  2. Lefty

    Lefty Guest

    The Irish ones look a little more like flakes. I have noticed differences in
    cooking times between different brands and batches of rolled oats.

    I like mine chewy so I MW water to boiling then add oats for a 2 1/2 minute
    MW cook (add chopped walnuts, sugar, milk to eat.) Sometimes it only takes a
    little over 2 minutes for the same result with a restaurant-supply brand I
    buy.
    --
    Lefty

    Life is for learning
    The worst I ever had was wonderful

    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > This is Old Wessex that I bought at Wegman's
    > http://tinypic.com/so0j0k.jpg
    > Irish on the left; Scottish on the right
    >
    > Here is a picture of the two compared in jars
    > http://tinypic.com/so0ih3.jpg
    > Irish on the left; Scottish on the right
    >
    > Here is a picture of the two compared outside of jars
    > You can't tell much difference on a piece of paper; but in the jar you can
    > see that there is a lot of the Irish oats broken up, whereas the Scottish
    > flakes are pretty well intact.
    > Irish on the left; Scottish on the right
    > http://tinypic.com/so0i8i.jpg
    >
    > We had Irish yesterday and Scottish today.
    > As indicated by the pictures, the texture (with closely-copied cooking) of
    > the Irish was mushey, and the Scottish retained the flakes.
    >
    > Was fun to do,
    > Dee Dee

  3. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Lefty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The Irish ones look a little more like flakes. I have noticed differences
    > in
    > cooking times between different brands and batches of rolled oats.
    >
    > I like mine chewy so I MW water to boiling then add oats for a 2 1/2
    > minute
    > MW cook (add chopped walnuts, sugar, milk to eat.) Sometimes it only takes
    > little over 2 minutes for the same result with a restaurant-supply brand I
    > buy.
    > --
    > Lefty
    >
    > Life is for learning
    > The worst I ever had was wonderful
    >

    > "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> This is Old Wessex that I bought at Wegman's
    >> http://tinypic.com/so0j0k.jpg
    >> Irish on the left; Scottish on the right
    >>
    >> Here is a picture of the two compared in jars
    >> http://tinypic.com/so0ih3.jpg
    >> Irish on the left; Scottish on the right
    >>
    >> Here is a picture of the two compared outside of jars
    >> You can't tell much difference on a piece of paper; but in the jar you
    >> can
    >> see that there is a lot of the Irish oats broken up, whereas the Scottish
    >> flakes are pretty well intact.
    >> Irish on the left; Scottish on the right
    >> http://tinypic.com/so0i8i.jpg
    >>
    >> We had Irish yesterday and Scottish today.
    >> As indicated by the pictures, the texture (with closely-copied cooking)
    >> of
    >> the Irish was mushey, and the Scottish retained the flakes.
    >>
    >> Was fun to do,
    >> Dee Dee

    Like mine chewy, too. Here's the way we do flakes.

    Bring water to boil while adding dried blueberries, raspberries or
    blueberries, seeds and/or nuts; when water boils add oat flakes (or
    combination of barley, oats and rye) and turn off heat and let sit until
    ready to eat.

    Put in bowl yogurt or heated coconut milk, flax & wheat germ, ground
    almonds, and the cookedcereal. I add honey to my bowl, DH doesn't.
    That's breakfast! Easy and fast.

    Same thing for steel cut, except we boil it for 10 minutes, after an
    all-night soak.
    Dee Dee

  4. Lefty

    Lefty Guest

    > Same thing for steel cut, except we boil it for 10 minutes, after an
    > all-night soak.
    > Dee Dee

    What I do is add one or two tablespoons of the steel cut (not soaked) to the
    flakes and just cook with the flakes for a little chewiness. Occasionally
    I'll add a T. or so of a 7 or 9 grain cereal to oats, but I like the oats
    taste over-all.

    I have tried other ways but if it turns out mushy at all or any malty kind
    of flavor it goes into the trash. So I stick to my tried and true timing
    with only a dash of extras added if at all.

    I like chopped walnuts. I tried toasting them but, again, it makes the oats
    taste toasted --not good IMO.

  5. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Lefty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    >> Same thing for steel cut, except we boil it for 10 minutes, after an
    >> all-night soak.
    >> Dee Dee

    > What I do is add one or two tablespoons of the steel cut (not soaked) to
    > the
    > flakes and just cook with the flakes for a little chewiness. Occasionally
    > I'll add a T. or so of a 7 or 9 grain cereal to oats, but I like the oats
    > taste over-all.
    >
    > I have tried other ways but if it turns out mushy at all or any malty kind
    > of flavor it goes into the trash. So I stick to my tried and true timing
    > with only a dash of extras added if at all.
    >
    > I like chopped walnuts. I tried toasting them but, again, it makes the
    > oats
    > taste toasted --not good IMO.

    Country Choice oatmeal has "Toasted Flakes."
    Me -- I prefer oats only; not barley or rye added, but DH likes this
    combination. We have it occasionally, just for a change.
    Dee Dee