different chain rings on Shimano road double and triple cranks

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Byron Sheppard, Dec 25, 2003.

  1. A young fellow wrote:

    > Carl: I don't know about you, but in my case, you're looking at a 47-year-old that enjoys riding
    > impossibly-steep roads but... the 27t large cog on a Shimano double just isn't going to cut it too
    > much longer. A triple is in my future but... if Shimano had a 29... I could put it off for at
    > least another couple years, maybe more! Mike Jacoubowsky

    Shimano _does_ have a 29, and we stock 'em.

    However, I'd recommend one of our "Century Special" 13-30 cassettes. These work with all Shimano
    derailers, as long as you don't have a huge jump in front.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#9

    You can make one of these yourself, start with a 12-27, ditch the original 12 and 13, add a top-
    position 13 and a 30 on the bottom.

    We also stock the "Cyclotouriste" 13-34 and 14-34 9-speed cassettes, but they require a long cage
    rear derailer.

    Contrary to popular belief, custom gearing is _easier_ with cassette hubs than with the old-style
    thread-on freewheels.

    Sheldon "Custom K7" Brown +---------------------------------------------------------+
    | There are several good protections against temptation, | but the surest is cowardice. --Mark
    | Twain |
    +---------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  2. > Shimano _does_ have a 29, and we stock 'em.

    > However, I'd recommend one of our "Century Special" 13-30 cassettes. These work with all Shimano
    > derailers, as long as you don't have a huge jump in front.

    Ah yes, but for 10-speeds or just 9? Eventually I'd love to have just one cassette that does it all,
    and I think I'll need a 10 for that. 12-29. That's all I ask. 12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-26-29 or
    something like that!

    news:[email protected]...> Shimano _does_ have a 29, and we stock 'em.

    > However, I'd recommend one of our "Century Special" 13-30 cassettes. These work with all Shimano
    > derailers, as long as you don't have a huge jump in front. A young fellow wrote:
    >
    > > Carl: I don't know about you, but in my case, you're looking at a 47-year-old that enjoys riding
    > > impossibly-steep roads but... the 27t
    large
    > > cog on a Shimano double just isn't going to cut it too much longer. A triple is in my future
    > > but... if Shimano had a 29... I could put it off
    for
    > > at least another couple years, maybe more!
    > > Mike Jacoubowsky
    >

    > See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#9
    >
    > You can make one of these yourself, start with a 12-27, ditch the original 12 and 13, add a top-
    > position 13 and a 30 on the bottom.
    >
    > We also stock the "Cyclotouriste" 13-34 and 14-34 9-speed cassettes, but they require a long cage
    > rear derailer.
    >
    > Contrary to popular belief, custom gearing is _easier_ with cassette hubs than with the old-style
    > thread-on freewheels.
    >
    > Sheldon "Custom K7" Brown +---------------------------------------------------------+
    > | There are several good protections against temptation, | but the surest is cowardice. --Mark
    > | Twain |
    > +---------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,
    > Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts
    > shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  3. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:37:40 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction
    Bicycles" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ah yes, but for 10-speeds or just 9? Eventually I'd love to have just one cassette that does it
    >all, and I think I'll need a 10 for that. 12-29. That's all I ask. 12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-26-29 or
    >something like that!

    I think you can make that one with a Centaur 13/29 cassette. The 16t is loose and can be pulled. A
    12/13 from another 10 sp cassette or even from a 9sp one would likely work.

  4. > I think you can make that one with a Centaur 13/29 cassette. The 16t is loose and can be pulled. A
    > 12/13 from another 10 sp cassette or even from a 9sp one would likely work.

    Yeah, but what would Peter Chisholm say if I moved away from Shimano and used Campy?

    I don't know if I could live with that! :>)

    news:[email protected]...