(different) dumb chain removal question

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jonathan Ives, Oct 13, 2003.

  1. My previous question about removing chains was a great success. The device suggested has worked many
    times flawlessly so thanks.

    Similar problem, different bike & chain. I also have a Dawes bike which is a few years old. I'd like
    to remove the chain to clean it.

    The chain appears to have a special link on one side only which has a slot linking the 2 adjacent
    rivets (sorry for the poor description) It does not have an opening so I assume you have to
    remove this side plate with a tool or pliers? Assuming I did that it's not too clearv how to get
    the link back on ?

    Any suggestions gratefully received.

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Jonathan Ives wrote:
    > Similar problem, different bike & chain. I also have a Dawes bike which is a few years old. I'd
    > like to remove the chain to clean it.

    What type/model bike? Single, hub or derailleur gears?

    ~PB

  3. Ouch

    Ouch Guest

    <snip snip>

    >The chain appears to have a special link on one side only which has a slot linking the 2 adjacent
    >rivets (sorry for the poor description) It does not have an opening so I assume you have to remove
    >this side plate with a tool or pliers? Assuming I did that it's not too clearv how to get the link
    >back on ?

    Maybe it's a bit like a powerlink type? Does it look anything like this:
    http://www.sram.com/mtb/consumables/powerlinks.asp

    Have a look here, though as they say some of these sorts of links are non-reusable.
    http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchnRe.shtml

  4. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    <ouch> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > <snip snip>
    >
    > >The chain appears to have a special link on one side only which has a slot linking the 2 adjacent
    > >rivets (sorry for the poor description) It does not have an opening so I assume you have to
    > >remove this side plate with a tool or pliers? Assuming I did that it's not too clearv how to get
    > >the link back on ?
    >
    > Maybe it's a bit like a powerlink type? Does it look anything like this:
    > http://www.sram.com/mtb/consumables/powerlinks.asp
    >
    > Have a look here, though as they say some of these sorts of links are non-reusable.
    > http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchnRe.shtml

    If it's a hub gear or single speed, it'll be an old split link. I couldn't find anything on
    sheldon's site about these (gasp!). I think you just slide the clip back on. (you may need to push!)
    (removal - can you get a small screwdriver between the plate and the pin on the outside, then lever?
    Otherwise, something like screwdriver in between the two halves of the link, rotate and plier the
    link out. It shouldn't be too hard.

    Don't use a chain tool with this chain.

    cheers, clive

  5. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    > <ouch> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > <snip snip>
    > >
    > > >The chain appears to have a special link on one side only which has a slot linking the 2
    > > >adjacent rivets (sorry for the poor description) It does not have an opening so I assume you
    > > >have to remove this side plate with a tool or pliers? Assuming I did that it's not too clearv
    > > >how to get the link back on ?
    > >
    > > Maybe it's a bit like a powerlink type? Does it look anything like this:
    > > http://www.sram.com/mtb/consumables/powerlinks.asp
    > >
    > > Have a look here, though as they say some of these sorts of links are non-reusable.
    > > http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchnRe.shtml
    >
    > If it's a hub gear or single speed, it'll be an old split link. I couldn't find anything on
    > sheldon's site about these (gasp!). I think you just slide the clip back on. (you may need
    > to push!)

    Yup.

    > (removal - can you get a small screwdriver between the plate and the pin on the outside,
    > then lever?

    No.

    The two ends of the clip protrude beyond the end of the rivet. With a large unworn screwdriver push
    the clip backwards from this open end. This should push it far enough that a gap opens up between
    the closed end and its rivet. Stick a small, electricians size screwdriver in this and twist.

    Mind you, this is _very_ old technology.

    ;; I'd rather live in sybar-space

  6. "Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Jonathan Ives wrote:
    > > Similar problem, different bike & chain. I also have a Dawes bike which is a few years old. I'd
    > > like to remove the chain to clean it.
    >
    > What type/model bike? Single, hub or derailleur gears?
    >
    > ~PB

    thanks

    its a Dawes Discovery as per http://www.outsyde.com/dawes_dicsovery201.htm

    FRAME ALLOY 7005 HT WITH TEARDROP DOWN TUBE , AND 'S' BEND REAR STAYS. SIZES G43, 48, 53, 58 L43,48,
    53 FORK TIG WELDED UNICROWN HEADSET CANE CREEK AHEADSET THREADLESS SYSTEM W/SEALS HUBS ALLOY WITH QR
    FRONT RIMS ALLOY DEEP SECTION SPOKES RUSTLESS TYRES TREKKING SEMI SLICK "STONETRAX" STEM ADJUSTABLE
    FORGED ALUMINIUM
    H/BAR ALUMINIUM STRAIGHT (GENTS) STEEL RISER TYPE (LADIES) GRIPS/TAPE DAWES COMFORT GEL BRAKE LEVERS
    STEF29 STI 21 SPEED UPGRADABLE FOR CI DECK PLUS GEAR LEVERS ST-EF29 STI 21 SPEED UPGRADABLE FOR CI
    DECK PLUS BRAKES FORGED ALLOY 'V' TYPE REAR MECH SHIMANO C050 7 SPEED FRONT MECH SHIMANO CRANKSET
    FORGED SUNTOUR XCC100 48/38/28 W/GUARD BOTTOM BRACKET SEALED CARTRIDGE CASSETTE/FWHEEL SHIMANO
    MEGARANGE 14-34 7 SPEED CHAIN KMC Z51 SILVER SADDLE DAWES SPORTS/TREKKING COMFORT SEAT POST STEEL
    CHROME FINISH PEDALS FPD RESIN

  7. Jonathan Ives wrote:

    > My previous question about removing chains was a great success. The device suggested has worked
    > many times flawlessly so thanks.
    >
    > Similar problem, different bike & chain. I also have a Dawes bike which is a few years old. I'd
    > like to remove the chain to clean it.
    >
    > The chain appears to have a special link on one side only which has a slot linking the 2 adjacent
    > rivets (sorry for the poor description) It does not have an opening so I assume you have to remove
    > this side plate with a tool or pliers? Assuming I did that it's not too clearv how to get the link
    > back on ?

    Break chain with rivet tool, throw away chain, buy standard black Sedis chain for £4, fit Sedis,
    be happy :)

  8. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    [email protected] (Jonathan Ives) writes:

    > "Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Jonathan Ives wrote:
    > > > Similar problem, different bike & chain. I also have a Dawes bike which is a few years old.
    > > > I'd like to remove the chain to clean it.
    > >
    > > What type/model bike? Single, hub or derailleur gears?

    > REAR MECH SHIMANO C050 7 SPEED CASSETTE/FWHEEL SHIMANO MEGARANGE 14-34 7 SPEED

    OK, that's some sort of fancy-nancy new master link, and my advice does not apply. Some of these new
    master links are use once and throw away, some are reusable. Unless you can establish for certain
    that it's reusable I would either get a new one, or just use a chain tool to join the chain in the
    good old way.

    do not sail on uphill water
    - Bill Lee

  9. In news:[email protected], Simon Brooke <[email protected]> typed:
    > [email protected] (Jonathan Ives) writes:
    >
    >> "Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:<[email protected]>...
    >>>
    >>> What type/model bike? Single, hub or derailleur gears?
    >
    >> REAR MECH SHIMANO C050 7 SPEED CASSETTE/FWHEEL SHIMANO MEGARANGE 14-34 7 SPEED
    >
    > OK, that's some sort of fancy-nancy new master link, and my advice does not apply. Some of these
    > new master links are use once and throw away, some are reusable. Unless you can establish for
    > certain that it's reusable I would either get a new one, or just use a chain tool to join the
    > chain in the good old way.

    Sounds like the one on a KMC singlespeed chain, which is reusable. In this case, the plate opposite
    the slotted one will look like a rounded rectangle, not the usual figure of eight.

    To open the chain, flex it towards the slotted plate by holding the chain a few links down either
    side, and using your third hand, lever the plate off.

    Do the opposite to perform the much simpler procedure of replacing it.

  10. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Clive George

    > If it's a hub gear or single speed, it'll be an old split link. I couldn't find anything on
    > sheldon's site about these (gasp!). I think you just slide the clip back on. (you may need
    > to push!)

    Off and on with a pair of engineers pliers - dead easy. If you need a spare link I still have a few
    in the shop.

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk