(different) dumb chain removal question

Jonathan Ives

Guest
My previous question about removing chains was a great success. The device suggested has worked many
times flawlessly so thanks.

Similar problem, different bike & chain. I also have a Dawes bike which is a few years old. I'd like
to remove the chain to clean it.

The chain appears to have a special link on one side only which has a slot linking the 2 adjacent
rivets (sorry for the poor description) It does not have an opening so I assume you have to
remove this side plate with a tool or pliers? Assuming I did that it's not too clearv how to get
the link back on ?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Jonathan Ives wrote:
> Similar problem, different bike & chain. I also have a Dawes bike which is a few years old. I'd
> like to remove the chain to clean it.

What type/model bike? Single, hub or derailleur gears?

~PB

<snip snip>

>The chain appears to have a special link on one side only which has a slot linking the 2 adjacent
>rivets (sorry for the poor description) It does not have an opening so I assume you have to remove
>this side plate with a tool or pliers? Assuming I did that it's not too clearv how to get the link
>back on ?

Maybe it's a bit like a powerlink type? Does it look anything like this:
http://www.sram.com/mtb/consumables/powerlinks.asp

Have a look here, though as they say some of these sorts of links are non-reusable.
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchnRe.shtml

<ouch> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> <snip snip>
>
> >The chain appears to have a special link on one side only which has a slot linking the 2 adjacent
> >rivets (sorry for the poor description) It does not have an opening so I assume you have to
> >remove this side plate with a tool or pliers? Assuming I did that it's not too clearv how to get
> >the link back on ?
>
> Maybe it's a bit like a powerlink type? Does it look anything like this:
> http://www.sram.com/mtb/consumables/powerlinks.asp
>
> Have a look here, though as they say some of these sorts of links are non-reusable.
> http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchnRe.shtml

If it's a hub gear or single speed, it'll be an old split link. I couldn't find anything on
sheldon's site about these (gasp!). I think you just slide the clip back on. (you may need to push!)
(removal - can you get a small screwdriver between the plate and the pin on the outside, then lever?
Otherwise, something like screwdriver in between the two halves of the link, rotate and plier the
link out. It shouldn't be too hard.

Don't use a chain tool with this chain.

cheers, clive

> <ouch> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > <snip snip>
> >
> > >The chain appears to have a special link on one side only which has a slot linking the 2
> > >adjacent rivets (sorry for the poor description) It does not have an opening so I assume you
> > >have to remove this side plate with a tool or pliers? Assuming I did that it's not too clearv
> > >how to get the link back on ?
> >
> > Maybe it's a bit like a powerlink type? Does it look anything like this:
> > http://www.sram.com/mtb/consumables/powerlinks.asp
> >
> > Have a look here, though as they say some of these sorts of links are non-reusable.
> > http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchnRe.shtml
>
> If it's a hub gear or single speed, it'll be an old split link. I couldn't find anything on
> sheldon's site about these (gasp!). I think you just slide the clip back on. (you may need
> to push!)

Yup.

> (removal - can you get a small screwdriver between the plate and the pin on the outside,
> then lever?

No.

The two ends of the clip protrude beyond the end of the rivet. With a large unworn screwdriver push
the clip backwards from this open end. This should push it far enough that a gap opens up between
the closed end and its rivet. Stick a small, electricians size screwdriver in this and twist.

Mind you, this is _very_ old technology.

;; I'd rather live in sybar-space

"Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Jonathan Ives wrote:
> > Similar problem, different bike & chain. I also have a Dawes bike which is a few years old. I'd
> > like to remove the chain to clean it.
>
> What type/model bike? Single, hub or derailleur gears?
>
> ~PB

thanks

its a Dawes Discovery as per http://www.outsyde.com/dawes_dicsovery201.htm

FRAME ALLOY 7005 HT WITH TEARDROP DOWN TUBE , AND 'S' BEND REAR STAYS. SIZES G43, 48, 53, 58 L43,48,
53 FORK TIG WELDED UNICROWN HEADSET CANE CREEK AHEADSET THREADLESS SYSTEM W/SEALS HUBS ALLOY WITH QR
FRONT RIMS ALLOY DEEP SECTION SPOKES RUSTLESS TYRES TREKKING SEMI SLICK "STONETRAX" STEM ADJUSTABLE
FORGED ALUMINIUM
H/BAR ALUMINIUM STRAIGHT (GENTS) STEEL RISER TYPE (LADIES) GRIPS/TAPE DAWES COMFORT GEL BRAKE LEVERS
STEF29 STI 21 SPEED UPGRADABLE FOR CI DECK PLUS GEAR LEVERS ST-EF29 STI 21 SPEED UPGRADABLE FOR CI
DECK PLUS BRAKES FORGED ALLOY 'V' TYPE REAR MECH SHIMANO C050 7 SPEED FRONT MECH SHIMANO CRANKSET
FORGED SUNTOUR XCC100 48/38/28 W/GUARD BOTTOM BRACKET SEALED CARTRIDGE CASSETTE/FWHEEL SHIMANO
MEGARANGE 14-34 7 SPEED CHAIN KMC Z51 SILVER SADDLE DAWES SPORTS/TREKKING COMFORT SEAT POST STEEL
CHROME FINISH PEDALS FPD RESIN

Jonathan Ives wrote:

> My previous question about removing chains was a great success. The device suggested has worked
> many times flawlessly so thanks.
>
> Similar problem, different bike & chain. I also have a Dawes bike which is a few years old. I'd
> like to remove the chain to clean it.
>
> The chain appears to have a special link on one side only which has a slot linking the 2 adjacent
> rivets (sorry for the poor description) It does not have an opening so I assume you have to remove
> this side plate with a tool or pliers? Assuming I did that it's not too clearv how to get the link
> back on ?

Break chain with rivet tool, throw away chain, buy standard black Sedis chain for £4, fit Sedis,
be happy :)

[email protected] (Jonathan Ives) writes:

> "Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Jonathan Ives wrote:
> > > Similar problem, different bike & chain. I also have a Dawes bike which is a few years old.
> > > I'd like to remove the chain to clean it.
> >
> > What type/model bike? Single, hub or derailleur gears?

> REAR MECH SHIMANO C050 7 SPEED CASSETTE/FWHEEL SHIMANO MEGARANGE 14-34 7 SPEED

OK, that's some sort of fancy-nancy new master link, and my advice does not apply. Some of these new
master links are use once and throw away, some are reusable. Unless you can establish for certain
that it's reusable I would either get a new one, or just use a chain tool to join the chain in the
good old way.

do not sail on uphill water
- Bill Lee

In news:[email protected], Simon Brooke <[email protected]> typed:
> [email protected] (Jonathan Ives) writes:
>
>> "Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:<[email protected]>...
>>>
>>> What type/model bike? Single, hub or derailleur gears?
>
>> REAR MECH SHIMANO C050 7 SPEED CASSETTE/FWHEEL SHIMANO MEGARANGE 14-34 7 SPEED
>
> OK, that's some sort of fancy-nancy new master link, and my advice does not apply. Some of these
> new master links are use once and throw away, some are reusable. Unless you can establish for
> certain that it's reusable I would either get a new one, or just use a chain tool to join the
> chain in the good old way.

Sounds like the one on a KMC singlespeed chain, which is reusable. In this case, the plate opposite
the slotted one will look like a rounded rectangle, not the usual figure of eight.

To open the chain, flex it towards the slotted plate by holding the chain a few links down either
side, and using your third hand, lever the plate off.

Do the opposite to perform the much simpler procedure of replacing it.

In article <[email protected]>, Clive George

> If it's a hub gear or single speed, it'll be an old split link. I couldn't find anything on
> sheldon's site about these (gasp!). I think you just slide the clip back on. (you may need
> to push!)

Off and on with a pair of engineers pliers - dead easy. If you need a spare link I still have a few
in the shop.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk