Different front & rear tires.

urbuyd

May 25, 2010
I'm very un-mechanically inclined; I changed out the rear tire on my road bike, and it was a pain in the a--. There's nothing wrong with the front tire. Is there any harm if I leave it? The front is a Bontrager, and the rear is a Continental. They have different tread patterns, of course, but, cosmetically speaking, I don't care. Any thoughts?

Nope, nothing wrong with using different brand tires on front and back. It might handle a little differently though since it's a different tire, but it won't hurt to try. Just use whatever combination you like best.

Of course, if you care about the look of your bike (I do), you might want matching tires.

genedan said:
Nope, nothing wrong with using different brand tires on front and back. It might handle a little differently though since it's a different tire, but it won't hurt to try. Just use whatever combination you like best.

Of course, if you care about the look of your bike (I do), you might want matching tires.

Thank you for your reply!

urbuyd said:
I changed out the rear tire on my road bike, and it was a pain in the a--. There's nothing wrong with the front tire. Is there any harm if I leave it? The front is a Bontrager, and the rear is a Continental. They have different tread patterns, of course, but, cosmetically speaking, I don't care. Any thoughts?
FWIW. As you are aware, the rear tire wears out more quickly than the front ...

It is commonly recommended that the front tire be moved to the rear wheel & the new tire is then placed on the front wheel to preclude the front tire from becoming too old.

Of course, you have to decide whether it is worth the effort based on your annual mileage. etc.