Different length legs - huh?!

j.r.hawkins

Jan 13, 2007
As a follow-up to my previous post about pelvic pain, it appears my left leg may be up to 1cm (3/8") shorter than the right. The sports doc is uncertain as to whether this is a true leg length difference or merely apparent (ie postural).

So I'm off to have my legs measured via CT scan and pelvis X-rayed.

The weird/funny bit is that I haven't noticed until now. The idea occurred to me earlier this week as a random thought while climbing Battle Boulevarde.

I'm only 45. Duh! :eek:

LOL! Hey, I might use that. :p

"Good, bible-based church.... Hillsong" Very funny - but that's a discussion for a different thread. :)

If its a functional leg length change then you can just strech the affected muscles if its structural he will start with 1/4 the amount then 1/2 orthotic to help. Just a note the orthotic or shim should be placed on the front of the foot. If its a shim then under your cleat. Make sure he checks your Q angle while he is at it.

j.r.hawkins said:
LOL! Hey, I might use that. :p

"Good, bible-based church.... Hillsong" Very funny - but that's a discussion for a different thread. :)

recoverydoc said:
If its a functional leg length change then you can just strech the affected muscles if its structural he will start with 1/4 the amount then 1/2 orthotic to help. Just a note the orthotic or shim should be placed on the front of the foot. If its a shim then under your cleat. Make sure he checks your Q angle while he is at it.
Hey, recoverydoc, thanks for the info.

Since the first post I’ve had my legs scanned by CT and my right femur is 7.8mm longer than the left, and the left tibia is 2.8mm longer than the right. The net result is a 5.0mm structural leg length difference with the right being longer.

Yesterday the sports doc gave me a 4mm wedge to put in the left heel of my street shoes as an interim measure until I can get to a podiatrist. It felt weird at first but I soon forgot about it.

Then, just as I was getting ready to leave for home in the evening, I noticed it: no pelvic pain! I’ve been putting up with a dull background pain for years since missing my step in the street and jarring my right sacroiliac joint.

Of course, this is just day one, and a 4mm wedge does not a complete solution make. I still have to get my shoes and cleats adjusted, orthotics made, and physiotherapy to correct the spinal scoliosis and pelvic rotation I’ve developed to compensate for the leg length discrepancy.

I’ll keep you posted on progress.

My left leg is shorter than my right, by how much I don't know as I have never had the variation accurately accessed.
When I bought another bike the seat was narrower than I had ridden before. I would get pain only at my left sit bone. Basically any ride would hurt. On checking my other bikes' [8000kl] seat I noticed that the left side was worn more than the right.
I placed 6mms of spacers under my left cleat & now I'm obviously sitting centrally on my seat as my sit bone pain has disappeared :)