different rear shock length

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Djpluv, Jan 30, 2003.

  1. Djpluv

    Djpluv Guest

    forgive me if this is a dumb question...i have a '01 fule 90...has a
    6.5" fox float shock...i have a 6" fox float rl shock...can i use the smaller rear shock without any
    damage to the bike? i know the rear travel will be affected, as the stroke on the smaller is shock
    is 1", compared to 1.5".

    thanks,

  2. Openworld

    Openworld Guest

    Absaloutly fine, but why? Due to the decrease in travel you will have to increase the pressure of
    the new shock. Why go for less travel. I have 8 inches and its still not enough "dJpluV"
    > forgive me if this is a dumb question...i have a '01 fule 90...has a
    > 6.5" fox float shock...i have a 6" fox float rl shock...can i use the smaller rear shock without
    > any damage to the bike? i know the rear travel will be affected, as the stroke on the smaller is
    > shock is 1", compared to 1.5".
    >
    > thanks,

  3. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 19:09:39 +0000 (UTC), "Openworld" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have 8 inches and its still not enough

    Maybe you're not using it right.

    bill(couldn't resist)wheeler The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector,
    that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

  4. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 19:09:39 +0000 (UTC), "Openworld" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I have 8 inches and its still not enough
    >
    > Maybe you're not using it right.
    >

    > bill(couldn't resist)wheeler

    Actually I agree with you on this _one_ point. Eight is plenty for me.

    Mike

  5. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    I also believe that you sit lower -- depends on the extended length and sag.

    I would check the fully extended length and the fully closed lengths.
    - Fully extended -- if it's shorter, you will have less crank clearance and it'll ride differently.
    - Fully closed -- make sure that it's not shorter. If it is, make sure that your suspension will be
    ok when it's compressed that far.

    David

    Openworld wrote:
    > Absaloutly fine, but why? Due to the decrease in travel you will have to increase the pressure of
    > the new shock. Why go for less travel. I have 8 inches and its still not enough "dJpluV"
    >
    >>forgive me if this is a dumb question...i have a '01 fule 90...has a
    >>6.5" fox float shock...i have a 6" fox float rl shock...can i use the smaller rear shock without
    >> any damage to the bike? i know the rear travel will be affected, as the stroke on the smaller is
    >> shock is 1", compared to 1.5".
    >>
    >>thanks,

  6. Ollie Wigg

    Ollie Wigg Guest

    I don't ride a dualie, so ignor me if you will, but I'd check with the manufacturer, because,
    depending on the position of the shock, putting a smaller one in could significantly change the
    carefully designed geometry of the bike, which will effect its handling, and also effect the way it
    takes strain- possible resulting in damage. I certainly wouldn't want to change the geometry of my
    hardtail without understadning the engineering that went into its design. See ya, Ollie "dJpluV"