different rear shock length

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Djpluv

forgive me if this is a dumb question...i have a '01 fule 90...has a
6.5" fox float shock...i have a 6" fox float rl shock...can i use the smaller rear shock without any
damage to the bike? i know the rear travel will be affected, as the stroke on the smaller is shock
is 1", compared to 1.5".

thanks,

d

Absaloutly fine, but why? Due to the decrease in travel you will have to increase the pressure of
the new shock. Why go for less travel. I have 8 inches and its still not enough "dJpluV"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> forgive me if this is a dumb question...i have a '01 fule 90...has a
> 6.5" fox float shock...i have a 6" fox float rl shock...can i use the smaller rear shock without
> any damage to the bike? i know the rear travel will be affected, as the stroke on the smaller is
> shock is 1", compared to 1.5".
>
> thanks,
>
> d

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 19:09:39 +0000 (UTC), "Openworld" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have 8 inches and its still not enough

Maybe you're not using it right.

bill(couldn't resist)wheeler The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector,
that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

"Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 19:09:39 +0000 (UTC), "Openworld" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I have 8 inches and its still not enough
>
> Maybe you're not using it right.
>
>
> bill(couldn't resist)wheeler

Actually I agree with you on this _one_ point. Eight is plenty for me.

Mike

I also believe that you sit lower -- depends on the extended length and sag.

I would check the fully extended length and the fully closed lengths.
- Fully extended -- if it's shorter, you will have less crank clearance and it'll ride differently.
- Fully closed -- make sure that it's not shorter. If it is, make sure that your suspension will be
ok when it's compressed that far.

David

Openworld wrote:
> Absaloutly fine, but why? Due to the decrease in travel you will have to increase the pressure of
> the new shock. Why go for less travel. I have 8 inches and its still not enough "dJpluV"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>forgive me if this is a dumb question...i have a '01 fule 90...has a
>>6.5" fox float shock...i have a 6" fox float rl shock...can i use the smaller rear shock without
>> any damage to the bike? i know the rear travel will be affected, as the stroke on the smaller is
>> shock is 1", compared to 1.5".
>>
>>thanks,
>>
>>d
>

I don't ride a dualie, so ignor me if you will, but I'd check with the manufacturer, because,
depending on the position of the shock, putting a smaller one in could significantly change the
carefully designed geometry of the bike, which will effect its handling, and also effect the way it
takes strain- possible resulting in damage. I certainly wouldn't want to change the geometry of my
hardtail without understadning the engineering that went into its design. See ya, Ollie "dJpluV"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> forgive me if this is a dumb question...i have a '01 fule 90...has a
> 6.5" fox float shock...i have a 6" fox float rl shock...can i use the smaller rear shock without
> any damage to the bike? i know the rear travel will be affected, as the stroke on the smaller is
> shock is 1", compared to 1.5".
>
> thanks,
>
> d

Status
Not open for further replies.