different rear shock length

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Djpluv, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Djpluv

Djpluv Guest

forgive me if this is a dumb question...i have a '01 fule 90...has a
    6.5" fox float shock...i have a 6" fox float rl shock...can i use the smaller rear shock without any
    damage to the bike? i know the rear travel will be affected, as the stroke on the smaller is shock
    is 1", compared to 1.5".

thanks,

d

Tags:

2. Openworld

Openworld Guest

Absaloutly fine, but why? Due to the decrease in travel you will have to increase the pressure of
    the new shock. Why go for less travel. I have 8 inches and its still not enough "dJpluV"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > forgive me if this is a dumb question...i have a '01 fule 90...has a
    > 6.5" fox float shock...i have a 6" fox float rl shock...can i use the smaller rear shock without
    > any damage to the bike? i know the rear travel will be affected, as the stroke on the smaller is
    > shock is 1", compared to 1.5".
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > d

3. Bill Wheeler

Bill Wheeler Guest

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 19:09:39 +0000 (UTC), "Openworld" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have 8 inches and its still not enough

Maybe you're not using it right.

bill(couldn't resist)wheeler The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector,
    that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

4. Michael Dart

Michael Dart Guest

"Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 19:09:39 +0000 (UTC), "Openworld" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I have 8 inches and its still not enough
    >
    > Maybe you're not using it right.
    >
    >
    > bill(couldn't resist)wheeler

Actually I agree with you on this _one_ point. Eight is plenty for me.

Mike

5. David Kunz

David Kunz Guest

I also believe that you sit lower -- depends on the extended length and sag.

I would check the fully extended length and the fully closed lengths.
    - Fully extended -- if it's shorter, you will have less crank clearance and it'll ride differently.
    - Fully closed -- make sure that it's not shorter. If it is, make sure that your suspension will be
    ok when it's compressed that far.

David

Openworld wrote:
    > Absaloutly fine, but why? Due to the decrease in travel you will have to increase the pressure of
    > the new shock. Why go for less travel. I have 8 inches and its still not enough "dJpluV"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>forgive me if this is a dumb question...i have a '01 fule 90...has a
    >>6.5" fox float shock...i have a 6" fox float rl shock...can i use the smaller rear shock without
    >> any damage to the bike? i know the rear travel will be affected, as the stroke on the smaller is
    >> shock is 1", compared to 1.5".
    >>
    >>thanks,
    >>
    >>d
    >

6. Ollie Wigg

Ollie Wigg Guest

I don't ride a dualie, so ignor me if you will, but I'd check with the manufacturer, because,
    depending on the position of the shock, putting a smaller one in could significantly change the
    carefully designed geometry of the bike, which will effect its handling, and also effect the way it
    takes strain- possible resulting in damage. I certainly wouldn't want to change the geometry of my
    hardtail without understadning the engineering that went into its design. See ya, Ollie "dJpluV"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > forgive me if this is a dumb question...i have a '01 fule 90...has a
    > 6.5" fox float shock...i have a 6" fox float rl shock...can i use the smaller rear shock without
    > any damage to the bike? i know the rear travel will be affected, as the stroke on the smaller is
    > shock is 1", compared to 1.5".
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > d

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.