May 5, 2004
my wife's road bike came with 700 on back and smaller in front

what would be the advantage of this/is this dangerous

thanks

Originally posted by JbrettL
my wife's road bike came with 700 on back and smaller in front

what would be the advantage of this/is this dangerous

thanks
It ain't dangerous if it's designed to be that way.There are a number that are.It's a way to get smaller size frame, and a short toptube with out having to resort to goofy geometry which could be more dangerous. A better soultion is 650c wheels front and back,but many gripe about that due the the effective lower gearing caused by the smaller rear wheel,vs the standard 700c. Disadvantages: need to having to source two different tire and tube sizes,which could be an issue finding in some places.Need to carry two different tube sizes in case of flats. some don't like the 'strange' look either.

Originally posted by boudreaux
A better soultion is 650c wheels front and back,but many gripe about that due the the effective lower gearing caused by the smaller rear wheel,vs the standard 700c. B]

What lower effective gearing? That can always be compensated by larger chainrings and or a different cassette combination.

The Moulton bike is a prime example that uses small wheels (17", 19" or 21" for example) and a choice of front chainrings ranging from 58 to 62T and a cassette combination w/ a high gear of 10T.

Originally posted by dennis dee
What lower effective gearing? That can always be compensated by larger chainrings and or a different cassette combination.

Why certanly,but they don't come out of the bike factories that way,and doing so cost more money.

Why certanly,but they don't come out of the bike factories that way,and doing so cost more money.

Changing the rear tire to a 650c tire/rim/spokes (assuming he uses the same hub and cassette) cost more than a 58 chainring.

And one can't just change the rear to a 650C as u suggested. Doing so would lower the BB height... u know the issues that come with that.

Changing the rear tire to a 650c tire/rim/spokes (assuming he uses the same hub and cassette) cost more than a 58 chainring.

And one can't just change the rear to a 650C as u suggested. Doing so would lower the BB height... u know the issues that come with that.
Do you have a clown suit to go with with your comprehension problem?? There was no suggestion to try switching a 700 for a 650. The discussion was about what is available off the floor, and 650 wheels front and rear on a frame designed around them.

Do you have a clown suit to go with with your comprehension problem?? There was no suggestion to try switching a 700 for a 650. The discussion was about what is available off the floor, and 650 wheels front and rear on a frame designed around them.

A better soultion is 650c wheels front and back,but many gripe about that due the the effective lower gearing caused by the smaller rear wheel,vs the standard 700c.

Duh.. didn't u just say "a better solution"? Now that u realize your supreme stupidness you're now back-pedaling... LOL sounds just like you boudreaux... ROTFL.

It seems you have the symptoms of EGZACHRY disease... yikes!!

Duh.. didn't u just say "a better solution"? Now that u realize your supreme stupidness you're now back-pedaling... LOL sounds just like you boudreaux... ROTFL.

Well, ya know that really is the way many bikes are built, to address the same problem,of getting a suitably short toptube on a small frame size. A smart guy would know that, and again,no suggestion that the poster should try something like that with his. You are just trying too hard without the proper ammunition,and making a bigger fool of yourself. Enjoy your clown suit.

Well, ya know that really is the way many bikes are built, to address the same problem,of getting a suitably short toptube on a small frame size. A smart guy would know that, and again,no suggestion that the poster should try something like that with his. You are just trying too hard without the proper ammunition,and making a bigger fool of yourself. Enjoy your clown suit.

Excuses, excuses... whatever.

The hand-me-down clown suit looks fine but doesn't fit me so i am sending it back to you. You know we're not the same size, and the shocking pink color suits you better. Thanks for the gesture. LOL

Excuses, excuses... whatever.

The hand-me-down clown suit looks fine but doesn't fit me so i am sending it back to you. You know we're not the same size, and the shocking pink color suits you better. Thanks for the gesture. LOL
Now you are just palin lame.How about a crutch?

Now you are just palin lame.How about a crutch?

Nah... dont want anymore of your hand-me-downs. I bets its also in shocking pink! ROTFL