Different sized chainrings

tafi

Jul 31, 2003
I am currently running a 39/53 chainring set up with a Campag 10 speed 11-23 cassette.

I am seriously considering chaning to a 42/52 set up for training and most racing (to get more use out of all the sprockets) and keeping the 39 for more hilly courses and use a 44 or 46 small ring for flat races and TTs

Anyone with experience of such chopping and changing?

I figure that, since the size of the big ring won't be changing much, the front derailleur won't need to be moved.

However will I need to get different length chains for the different set ups?

There are also options of manufacturer. I could get all the required parts from Campagnolo or go the cheaper option of getting them from TA.
Or I could get the 44 and/or46 from TA and the 42/52 in a matched set from Campag.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Originally posted by tafi
I am currently running a 39/53 chainring set up with a Campag 10 speed 11-23 cassette.

I am seriously considering chaning to a 42/52 set up for training and most racing (to get more use out of all the sprockets) and keeping the 39 for more hilly courses and use a 44 or 46 small ring for flat races and TTs

Anyone with experience of such chopping and changing?

I figure that, since the size of the big ring won't be changing much, the front derailleur won't need to be moved.

However will I need to get different length chains for the different set ups?

There are also options of manufacturer. I could get all the required parts from Campagnolo or go the cheaper option of getting them from TA.
Or I could get the 44 and/or46 from TA and the 42/52 in a matched set from Campag.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Big ring defines the chainlength needed. Why pay more for the campy stuff?

and RD cage "size" defines how much chainlength you can accommodate. With a large or medium cage, you can use the same chain on different size large CRs.

Too bad SRAM doesn't make a superlink chain for Campy 10.

Originally posted by Eidetic
and RD cage "size" defines how much chainlength you can accommodate. With a large or medium cage, you can use the same chain on different size large CRs.

Too bad SRAM doesn't make a superlink chain for Campy 10.
Well, actually cage length is not an issue here. Since he is only considering the difference between a current 53 and an alternate 52 big ring he does not have to worry about it. And, believe it or not a short cage often wraps all the chain when used with a triple. Connex makes a link that work with campy 10 in addition to some others.

Would the 1 tooth more (52->53) really make a noticeable difference in chain length with a shimano double RD? (silly question but actually I never tried it)

Originally posted by frenk
Would the 1 tooth more (52->53) really make a noticeable difference in chain length with a shimano double RD? (silly question but actually I never tried it)

I actually doubt that it would. It makes sense to me now. I'm not sure why I asked the chain length question in the first place.
You could approximate that the chain would wrap around about half of the chainring. So with a 52 as opposed to a 53 you would only gain half (or is it a quarter) of a link of length. Obviously you can't adjust for that.

the reason I thought of SRAM is that you can buy the super links separately.... but I've not seen the Wipperman connex links sold separately. yes, there's a $399 titanium connex chain for 10 speeds, and a $69 steel connex chain for 10 speeds.

when touring, I carry a spare super link set, and take the chain off to pack the Dean.

Originally posted by Eidetic
the reason I thought of SRAM is that you can buy the super links separately.... but I've not seen the Wipperman connex links sold separately.
Performance has em and I'm sure other sources do to. There is also a superlinkIII but it bites.