Different sized chainrings

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by tafi, Apr 14, 2004.

1. tafi

tafi Member

I am currently running a 39/53 chainring set up with a Campag 10 speed 11-23 cassette.

I am seriously considering chaning to a 42/52 set up for training and most racing (to get more use out of all the sprockets) and keeping the 39 for more hilly courses and use a 44 or 46 small ring for flat races and TTs

Anyone with experience of such chopping and changing?

I figure that, since the size of the big ring won't be changing much, the front derailleur won't need to be moved.

However will I need to get different length chains for the different set ups?

There are also options of manufacturer. I could get all the required parts from Campagnolo or go the cheaper option of getting them from TA.
    Or I could get the 44 and/or46 from TA and the 42/52 in a matched set from Campag.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Tags:

2. drewjc

drewjc New Member

Personally i would go for the cheaper models with the chainrings as the campag ones may be slightly better in regards to make or weight but with as many as you need the cheaper the better right?? Your chain shouldnt need changing but if u want to it may be possible to add a link to free up the rear derailleur a little, but this is by no means necessary, as your current chain already runs within the (smaller) limits u are creating.