Difficulty reaching target heart rate

TiMan

Sep 29, 2003
Lately I am having a hard time reaching my target heart rate for intervals and lactate threshold workouts. I even notice that attaining to 70% of my max heart rate requires more effort now.

My effort is high but my heart rates are lower than normal. ie: A couple months ago I did my intervals at 170 bpm and now I have to push really hard just to reach 160.

This has never happened to me in the past and I have been a serious competitor for years. I am in very good shape at this time. I am on no new medication.

A good buddy told me that it is probably due to the fact that I am in extrememly top shape and that my system is so efficient now, but I don't buy that as I have been at this level of conditioning before and never experienced this.

It almost seems like my maximum heart rate has dropped and thus has dropped my target heart rates for all levels of intensity.

Thanx

Originally posted by TiMan

My effort is high but my heart rates are lower than normal. ie: A couple months ago I did my intervals at 170 bpm and now I have to push really hard just to reach 160.

It almost seems like my maximum heart rate has dropped and thus has dropped my target heart rates for all levels of intensity.

If you're not overtrained or sick, I'd send you to a doctor.

It's definitely not because you're in good shape that your max heart rate dropped 10 bpm in a few weeks.

I don't actually know if my max heart rate has dropped .....I seriously doubt it.

The issue is.....low heart rate with high effort.
I have to really work to get my heart rate to 160-162. The same effort in the past would have my heart rate at about 170.

Originally posted by TiMan
I don't actually know if my max heart rate has dropped .....I seriously doubt it.

The issue is.....low heart rate with high effort.
I have to really work to get my heart rate to 160-162. The same effort in the past would have my heart rate at about 170.

According to my coach, that is the classic, telltale indication of overtraining. I say you cut things back for a bit, and see what happens. Take and easy week or two before you do any more intervals. Good luck!

Originally posted by kengais
According to my coach, that is the classic, telltale indication of overtraining. I say you cut things back for a bit, and see what happens. Take and easy week or two before you do any more intervals. Good luck!

I think Kengais is right. Another tell tale is your resting heart rate. Has this changed? If your overtrained it will be higher than normal. Do you do any recover riding, riding at 60% max with a high cadence? Even as much as taking a whole week off doing nothing but easy high cadence work at 60% max can do wonders for an overtrained condition.