dig big mig



Rehman

New Member
Sep 23, 2011
13
2
0
I've just realised that I was subliminally imprinted with a particular image of bicycling years before ever thinking of perching my butt on a saddle myself. That image was of Miguel Indurain. Because there was one point of comparison where we matched - exactly the same height and weight! (Inside, of couse, his resting heart rate was a fifth of mine and everything else ten times citius, altius and fortius.) But those dimensions and biometrics - now I watch him on YouTube and channel everything I can about how he rides a bike. He too sat more upright, and if that was good for him, it's good for me too!
And I channel his bike - the frame size (mine 60cm, his 59cm), crank length (mine 175mm; his 180mm); the rise of his stem... and the look of his white Pinarellos during his reign at the TdF and GdI, referenced in the clean, slim, straight lines of my '94 Giant Cadex CFR1; so unlike the slope-tubed moulded forms of today's designs. Above all, the proof he offered that you don't have to be a little whippet to be a bike rider; a big guy could be the best in the world too. (As long as you had eight-litre lungs. Mine, six, minus 20% for smoking.)
 

swampy1970

Well-Known Member
Feb 3, 2008
10,098
428
83
Last time I checked Big Mig often used 190mm custom made cranks and could put out about 500watts for an hour. I suggest you "channel" your information from another source... Funny how his extraterestrial abilities were severely lacking in his first few Tours. Odd really.
 

Rehman

New Member
Sep 23, 2011
13
2
0
Here ya go, Swampy1970, from http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/cicli-pinarello-displays-its-racing-history : Miguel Indurain's 1993 Pinarello Banesto Team Bike "This was the first TIG-welded steel bike to win the Giro d'Italia and Tour de France, which happened in 1993. We also made the first aluminum TIG-welded bike to win both races in 1995. This was the first year we used Oria tubing. Indurain always had the same size bike - 59x59 - and on this model, we lowered the top tube by two centimeters to make the triangle more compact and more rigid. On the head tube, there was another spacer of two centimeters that brought Indurain's position up higher. That's the way he rode... in his last season, Indurain had an Aheadset stem of 110 degrees to stay in his preferred position. This bike weighs about nine kilograms; it's a very big bike! As well, this bike has 180mm crankarms... you know, Indurain never changed his position in the 15 years he raced on Pinarello bicycles."
 

sappie66

New Member
Oct 11, 2008
22
2
0
Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Funny how his extraterestrial abilities were severely lacking in his first few Tours. Odd really.
Hmmmm..... what are saying about good ol' Mig? Might the same be said about a certain 7-time winner that you seem to defend? ;)

All in good fun dude! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/duck.gif
 

limerickman

Well-Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
16,130
220
63
Originally Posted by Rehman .

I've just realised that I was subliminally imprinted with a particular image of bicycling years before ever thinking of perching my butt on a saddle myself. That image was of Miguel Indurain. Because there was one point of comparison where we matched - exactly the same height and weight! (Inside, of couse, his resting heart rate was a fifth of mine and everything else ten times citius, altius and fortius.) But those dimensions and biometrics - now I watch him on YouTube and channel everything I can about how he rides a bike. He too sat more upright, and if that was good for him, it's good for me too!
And I channel his bike - the frame size (mine 60cm, his 59cm), crank length (mine 175mm; his 180mm); the rise of his stem... and the look of his white Pinarellos during his reign at the TdF and GdI, referenced in the clean, slim, straight lines of my '94 Giant Cadex CFR1; so unlike the slope-tubed moulded forms of today's designs. Above all, the proof he offered that you don't have to be a little whippet to be a bike rider; a big guy could be the best in the world too. (As long as you had eight-litre lungs. Mine, six, minus 20% for smoking.)
If you really want to relive the dream my friend I spotted some great footage of the 1995 TDF (Indurains 5th and last TDF win) on youtube :
All 20 stages!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to51ZUudBeI


I liked BigMig. The man is a gentleman.
 

Rehman

New Member
Sep 23, 2011
13
2
0
Brilliant! Thank you, sir - what a blast from the past. (The salad days of bike design, too - how much have materials and technology changed since then...)

Originally Posted by limerickman .

If you really want to relive the dream my friend I spotted some great footage of the 1995 TDF (Indurains 5th and last TDF win) on youtube :
All 20 stages!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to51ZUudBeI


I liked BigMig. The man is a gentleman.
 

Similar threads