Dilema: Train or rest for race?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by genedoc, Jan 21, 2007.

1. genedoc

genedoc New Member

I have limited time to train and ride my KK 3 or 4 nights a week and only get "out" on Sat and Sun for team and local fast/long rides. It's early in the season and I really feel I need the miles I get on the Sat and Sun rides. The problem is racing starts this Sunday and I can't decide if it makes more sense to get the good road miles in on Saturday and risk not being fresh for the race, or go easy on Sat to be fresh for Sunday and loose valuable training time/miles?

Tags:

2. NomadVW

NomadVW New Member

The easy way to answer it, is are they "A" races? Are they races you are committed to winning? If not, then there's no need to taper for them and just get in the pack and go however you can go. Use them as a training day, and when it doesn't fit the schedule, don't use them at all. No need to reduce fitness for races you aren't 100% interested in winning. It's still pretty early in the year.

3. Jono L

Jono L Well-Known Member

If you need the miles you need the miles. Train then race and ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK. Always good fun. Maybe even work for your teammates/friends and you may end up with some cash even though your legs were shagged the day before.

4. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

Yes, using races for training can be quite effective - I usually set my own goal for races in the early season which often has nothing to do with where I finish - it can be a physical as well as a mental challenge I set. If the duration of race is low, I may do other training before/afterwards as well.