Dimension Instep Pedal Insert - Shimano SPD

[email protected] wrote:
> Anyone have any experience with this toe clip that slips into your spd
> pedal?
> Here it is on Performance:
> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=347&subcategory_ID=10046

Developed by a Colorado firm called Winwood in the '80s. I believe they
were acquired by a marketing/distribution company some time ago. Product
works exactly as shown, no problems*. There was a Look version at one
time as well.

* a bit harder to flip up quickly in traffic than a regular toeclip pedal.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Jan 16, 7:01 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> Opinions?

(without knowing what sort of use you have in mind):
Not exactly an "opinion":

http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1218

Maybe more of an option avenue?

Never have used SPD outside of Spin class, personally, but have seen
these sandals (and other SPD footwear) used no problem on the street
by others.

I'll freely admit that having a cyst and attendant calcification
removed from the first joint of my right-foot big toe has soured me on
clips and straps. And tight shoes, too. --D-y

On Jan 16, 8:24 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> * a bit harder to flip up quickly in traffic than a regular toeclip pedal.

Thanks Andrew.
Your comment refers to clipping back in after stopping and unclipping?

Bought a used bike that had SPDs but not wanting to invest in
*special* shoes
I've been using the backs of the pedals.
Surprisingly, only slipped off the backs once in four months (it was
raining).
Gotten used to really small pedals, haven't liked the idea of going to
platforms with clips/straps...too big and clunky.
So this Dimension Insert looked like a possibility.
Still, I'm the nervous-type, and if clipping/unclipping is slow or
tricky,
I might be better off with as small a platform as I can find,
and some of those mini-clips without the strap that I've seen here and
there.

ABS

[email protected] wrote:
> Your comment refers to clipping back in after stopping and unclipping?
> Bought a used bike that had SPDs but not wanting to invest in
> *special* shoes
> I've been using the backs of the pedals.
> Surprisingly, only slipped off the backs once in four months (it was
> raining).
> Gotten used to really small pedals, haven't liked the idea of going to
> platforms with clips/straps...too big and clunky.
> So this Dimension Insert looked like a possibility.
> Still, I'm the nervous-type, and if clipping/unclipping is slow or
> tricky,
> I might be better off with as small a platform as I can find,
> and some of those mini-clips without the strap that I've seen here and
> there.

Because the toeclip is mounted a touch farther from the pedal axis and
because of the weight distribution, your pedal will hang at a different
angle than a regular non-SPD toeclip pedal when you step down at a
stoplight.

It's a minor angle change and certainly not impossible to flip up and
step in, but the angle is different, that's all.
--

[email protected] aka Alan B. Stew(art?) wrote:
> Anyone have any experience with this toe clip that slips into your spd
> pedal?
> Here it is on Performance:
> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=347&subcategory_ID=10046
>
> Opinions?

FOR THE LOVE OF SHOZO SHIMANO, WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO USE CLIPS AND
STRAPS?

I suggest getting some decent shoes with recessed SPD cleats.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth

Tom Sherman wrote:

> FOR THE LOVE OF SHOZO SHIMANO, WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO USE CLIPS AND
> STRAPS?

Because "anyone" prefers shoes that don't suck, but doesn't like the
ease and versatility of plain pedals?

> I suggest getting some decent shoes with recessed SPD cleats.

Ha ha ha hahahaha *snort*, that's a good one! Decent SPD shoes!

Chalo

On Jan 18, 1:57 am, Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:
>
> > FOR THE LOVE OF SHOZO SHIMANO, WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO USE CLIPS AND
> > STRAPS?

> Because "anyone" prefers shoes that don't suck, but doesn't like the
> ease and versatility of plain pedals?
>
> > I suggest getting some decent shoes with recessed SPD cleats.

> Ha ha ha hahahaha *snort*, that's a good one!  Decent SPD shoes!

What shoe size do you use?

On Jan 18, 12:48 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> [email protected] aka Alan B. Stew(art?) wrote:> Anyone have any experience with this toe clip that slips into your spd
> > pedal?
> > Here it is on Performance:
> >http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=347&subcategory_I....

> > Opinions?

>  >
> FOR THE LOVE OF SHOZO SHIMANO, WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO USE CLIPS AND
> STRAPS?

Good question. ISTM that clips and straps rank well behind 1) clipless
pedals w/ walkable shoes (e.g., SPD and some others) 2) Powergrips
(great product, highly underappreciated, IMO) and 3) Platform pedals,
unadorned.

IMO, clips and straps make about as much sense as a rod-actuated FD.

> I suggest getting some decent shoes with recessed SPD cleats.

If one shops carefully, this can be done for less than $100 for the
package.

In article
<8e0f2c17-d80d-4dbb-bdf7-05bfbfef81cc@f47g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>,
<"[email protected]"> wrote:

> On Jan 16, 7:01 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Opinions?

> (without knowing what sort of use you have in mind):
> Not exactly an "opinion":
>
> http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1218
>
> Maybe more of an option avenue?
>
> Never have used SPD outside of Spin class, personally, but have seen
> these sandals (and other SPD footwear) used no problem on the street
> by others.

I've used these SPD sandals for years and enthusiastically endorse
them. They're equally comfortable off and on the bike.

In article <[email protected]>, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] aka Alan B. Stew(art?) wrote:
> > Anyone have any experience with this toe clip that slips into your spd
> > pedal?
> > Here it is on Performance:
> > http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=347&subcategory_ID=10046
> >
> > Opinions?
> >

> FOR THE LOVE OF SHOZO SHIMANO, WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO USE CLIPS AND
> STRAPS?
>
> I suggest getting some decent shoes with recessed SPD cleats.

I find the best solution, accentuating the benefits of clipless pedals,
and reducing the aggravation of requiring dedicated footwear, are half
and half pedals. Cycling to social functions, where the rides are short
and the events long, don't require that you have cleats bolted to the
soles of your shoes for the duration.

I got one of those for commuting a long time ago. The clip was too short
( I wear a size 8 1/2 and the ball of my foot was way too far back on
the pedal).Also I kept twisting out at stops out of habit and having the
thing come off my foot on the street.

I learned it was easier just to leave a pair of work shoes at work and
ride with my biking shoes.

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

On Jan 18, 8:07 am, Luke <[email protected]> wrote:

> I've used these SPD sandals for years and enthusiastically endorse
> them. They're equally comfortable off and on the bike.

I was in a recent conversation with three people who had used and
loved SPD sandals for years. All three said they disliked the newest
version, claiming the new elastic side stuff (I think) was
uncomfortable for them. One guy said he finally took shears to the
sandals and cut most of that stuff out.

Do others find the new design to be less comfortable than the old?

- Frank Krygowski

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:20:22 -0800 (PST), [email protected] wrote:

[---]

>Do others find the new design to be less comfortable than the old?

Definitely, at least as far as Shimano sandals are concerned (I
haven't tried Lake sandals). I found the older two-strap Shimano
SH-SD60 was considerably better than the current model.

Tom Sherman wrote:
> FOR THE LOVE OF SHOZO SHIMANO, WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO USE CLIPS AND
> STRAPS?
> I suggest getting some decent shoes with recessed SPD cleats.

Why? Because my big roomy shoe covers are watertight and warm. Because a
metal cleat on the sole of one's shoe is an effective heat sink.

(-2F here this morning. Sounds worse as '-19C')
--

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> Good question. ISTM that clips and straps rank well behind 1) clipless
> pedals w/ walkable shoes (e.g., SPD and some others) 2) Powergrips
> (great product, highly underappreciated, IMO) and 3) Platform pedals,
> unadorned.
> IMO, clips and straps make about as much sense as a rod-actuated FD.

> more from Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
>> I suggest getting some decent shoes with recessed SPD cleats.

OB:
> If one shops carefully, this can be done for less than $100 for the
> package.

There's a healthy amount of personal opinion in your response, to which
you are entitled, but that doesn't make it true or change the obvious
utility of toeclips. Especially in cold or wet weather.
--

It's Chris wrote:
> I got one of those for commuting a long time ago. The clip was too short
> ( I wear a size 8 1/2 and the ball of my foot was way too far back on
> the pedal).Also I kept twisting out at stops out of habit and having the
> thing come off my foot on the street.
> I learned it was easier just to leave a pair of work shoes at work and
> ride with my biking shoes.

The original Winwood model had a four-position adjustment for shoe size.
--

Chalo Colina wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:
>> FOR THE LOVE OF SHOZO SHIMANO, WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO USE CLIPS AND
>> STRAPS?

> Because "anyone" prefers shoes that don't suck, but doesn't like the
> ease and versatility of plain pedals?

If one is not going to get the positive foot retention by using a
slotted cleat with clips and straps, Power Grips are a better
alternative for use with non-cycling specific shoes. The Power Grips
offer better retention and ease of entry and exit when combined with
non-cycling shoes compared to clips and straps.

If one does want positive foot retention, then "clipless" systems offer
that without the need to physically release one's foot with a hand.

>> I suggest getting some decent shoes with recessed SPD cleats.

> Ha ha ha hahahaha *snort*, that's a good one! Decent SPD shoes!

Well, some (e.g. J. Brandt) find their SPD shoes fine for walking in.

CLIPS AND STRAPS ARE OBSOLETE FOR A GOOD REASON.

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> On Jan 18, 12:48 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> [email protected] aka Alan B. Stew(art?) wrote:> Anyone have any experience with this toe clip that slips into your spd
>>> pedal?
>>> Here it is on Performance:
>>> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=347&subcategory_I...
>>> Opinions?
>> >

>> FOR THE LOVE OF SHOZO SHIMANO, WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO USE CLIPS AND
>> STRAPS?

> Good question. ISTM that clips and straps rank well behind 1) clipless
> pedals w/ walkable shoes (e.g., SPD and some others) 2) Powergrips
> (great product, highly underappreciated, IMO) and 3) Platform pedals,
> unadorned.
>
> IMO, clips and straps make about as much sense as a rod-actuated FD.
>

>> I suggest getting some decent shoes with recessed SPD cleats.

> If one shops carefully, this can be done for less than $100 for the
> package.

Wow! We are in agreement. That is scary!

Andrew Muzi wrote:
>> [email protected] aka Alan B. Stew(art?) wrote:
>>> Anyone have any experience with this toe clip that slips into your spd
>>> pedal?
>>> Here it is on Performance:
>>> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=347&subcategory_ID=10046

> Tom Sherman wrote:
>> FOR THE LOVE OF SHOZO SHIMANO, WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO USE CLIPS AND
>> STRAPS?
>> I suggest getting some decent shoes with recessed SPD cleats.

> Why? Because my big roomy shoe covers are watertight and warm. Because a
> metal cleat on the sole of one's shoe is an effective heat sink.
>
> (-2F here this morning. Sounds worse as '-19C')

Power Grips offer the same advantages, without the "Oh ****, I am about
to fall over but can't get my foot un-snagged from the pedal even though
the strap is loose" moments. Been there, done that, hated it, don't want
to do it again.