Ding Dong The Witch is Dead: Part 1 of a long upcoming series

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 05:53:14 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Jim Adney <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>The difference is that the UN weapons inspectors were there in the
>>interim. Some WMDs WERE there, and they WERE dealt with. The news
>>reported in the media concentrated on the runarounds the inspectors
>>got, but there were still weapons found and destroyed during this
>>time. By 9/11, the inspectors felt that the WMDs were all gone.

>Seriously, you have to stop getting your "news" from blogs. What you
>write is entirely, categorically incorrect.

I don't read blogs of any kind, so I have no idea what information or
misinformation they may contain.

>Read the actauly UNMOVIC report from March 2003 and it's clear that
>not only did every major intelligence organization think that Iraq had
>WMD, so did the UN weapons inspectors.
>
>http://www.un.org/Depts/unmovic/documents/cluster6mar.pdf

Thank you for the reference. I'm always interested in adding more and
better information to the debate. That document is 173 pages long and
covers the time period from about 1970 to some time before its
publication in 2003. Most of the discussion is in regard to the 1990s
and discusses Iraqi missles, missle development, and the destruction
thereof. It is clear that there is uncertainty about the veracity of
Iraqi claims that everything was destroyed at that time, but I could
find no claim of certainty that WMDs existed into the 2000s.

It's also important to note here that this report emphasizes those
things which were proscribed under the UN agreements following the
Gulf war, ie missles with range greater than 150 km. There is some
discussion of missle payload, but these are all chemical (conventional
explosive) or biological, but it's not clear to me from reading the
report that Iraq was close to having effective biological payloads for
those missles.

In this entire report, there is only one mention of an Iraqi nuclear
warhead, and that was in 1988. when Iraq decided to try to design such
a weapon. There's no evidence that any work in this direction was ever
actually done, and this event is marked by mention in only one
paragraph out of the whole 173 pages.

What is clear in the report is that most of the production facilities
for missles and warheads, as well as most of the missles and warheads
themselves, were destroyed in the period leading up to 2003.

>That's not debatable - it's just history. Yet there are those who
>figure if you repeat the opposite enough times it becomes true.

I agree completely. At 173 pages, I can't claim to have read every
word carefully, but I think I did a reasonable job. I get the
impression that you think there are things in this report that aren't
really there. There are certainly lots of unanswered questions, but
there's no smoking gun.

It's important to remain aware of the fact that lack of proof that
there are no WMDs in Iraq does NOT constitute proof that they have
them. After all, can you prove that I don't have WMDs? Can you PROVE
that YOU don't?

It's also important to stay aware of the fact that nothing that I've
found in this report gives any credence to the idea that Iraq was a
threat to the US. Whatever capabilities they had were extremely short
range at most. If we believe that Iraqi possession of missles of range
less than 200 km is a threat to the US, then that should have been the
reason given.

>Changing history to be "as you prefer it" and then making political
>judgment is disingenuous at best.

I agree. You might want to refer to

http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/1219/dailyUpdate.html?s=entt

where Hans Blix, the head of the UN inspection team, is reported as
saying that he believed that all of Iraq's WMDs had beed destroyed in
1991. Given the whole article, I would say that this is not strictly
true, but Blix would probably agree that Iraq had no significant WMD
capability after that time.

Also from same article:

"The WMD issue reemerged during a recent interview President George
Bush had with ABC News correspondent Diane Sawyer. The New York Times
reports that Mr. Bush said it no longer really mattered if Hussein had
WMD or was just planning to have them. When reminded by Ms. Sawyer of
his claim before the war of the "hard fact that there were weapons of
mass destruction, as opposed to the possibility that he could move to
acquire those weapons" Bush replied "What's the difference?" "

I can see the difference, and I'm sure you can, too. But the
administration's claim when going to war was not the future
possiblitiy, but rather the present certainty, of WMDs in Iraq. The
fallback to future possiblity only came later, after WMDs failed to
surface.

Since you seem to value accuracy in your fact checking, I wonder how
you deal with all this. Would you not would hold those on your side of
the aisle to the same standards as those who disagree with you?

[email protected] wrote:

> Bill Sornson wrote:
> > Tom Ace wrote:

> > > There is real news. It sure looks like your Veep lied
> > > through his teeth to a grand jury.

> > Proof? Citation?

> The indictment in section 9 (p.4) states that "on or about June 12,
> 2003, LIBBY was advised by the Vice President of the United States that
> Wilson's wife worked at the Central Intelligence Agency in the
> Counterproliferation Division." I don't know what Cheney told the grand
> jury but I suspect he _didn't_ tell them this.

Relax. I had said "the Veep" when I meant the Veep's
chief of staff. I saw my error and posted a correction
two minutes later.

Bill Sornson asked about my statement before he'd seen
that I'd posted a correction. (Bill: I'm sorry to have
caused confusion. I appreciate it that you were civil
about asking and didn't just rail at me.)

Tom Ace

Bill Sornson wrote:
> James Annan wrote:

> > However, I have never heard of it being considered a criminal matter

> Neither was Clinton's "affair" with the human humidor. What was /criminal/
> was his lying in a SEPARATE MATTER (the Paula Jones harassment lawsuit), and
> then coercing Monica to file false testimony as part of his defense.

So, applying the same standards you apply to I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby,
since of the various putative offenses, Clinton was either not charged
or aquitted of them, you should get over it and admit his innocence.

Bill Sornson wrote:

> CNN? Please.
>
> I don't have time to find it now, but I saw an interesting account about
> Bush's initial quote (by Britt Hume maybe?). There was a question and
> answer RIGHT BEFORE the oft-quoted lines, and Bush used the "criminal
> qualifier"; then expounded on his comments and THAT is what the left (read:
> media) began using with out the true content.

Brit Hume? Please. The guy would sell his grandma to Saddam if he
thought it would advance the neocon agenda. In any case, no one can
find any record of this mythical question and answer "right before" the
oft quoted lines. I'm sure though you'll let us know when you do have
time to find it. And I don't mean Brit Hume's claim of it, but an
actual transcript.

Bill Sornson wrote:

> I also wrote: "Big diffeerence between saying, "I heard his wife got him
> sent on that trip" and NAMING AND EXPOSING A COVERT AGENT (sure wasn't
> char ged by Fitz)."

Naming? That has nothing to do with anything. I posted the relevant law
earlier. You should read it. It says, providing information which
*identifies* an agent whose identity is protected. Libby said a lot
more than the above. You should read the indictment too.

> Especially if she wasn't covert OR even
> "classified" (still TBD, apparently).

You keep saying this but Fitzgerald contradicts this in the indictment,
and NB already posted the relevant quote from it.

> Here's a radical idea: wait for the case to go to trial

Here's a radical idea: read the indictment..

Bill Sornson wrote:

> >> just one guy's recollection differing from three reporters'.)

What??? You really need to read that indictment. Libby's statements TO
THE GRAND JURY are contradicted by his own notes, by Cheney, by
Fleischer, by Libby's deputy, and by several other officials IN THE
WHITE HOUSE. You can cut the reporters right out of it, either Libby is
lying and obstructing justice, or all those other officials are lying
and obstructing justice and should be indicted instead. The role of the
reporters' testimonies is not to decide IF anyone obstructed justice or
perjured themselves, but WHO. Libby was counting on the reporters not
testifying, so that that dilemma could not be resolved, and therefore
nobody could be charged.

Bill Sornson wrote:

> Here's a radical idea: wait for the case to go to trial, and see if Libby
> (or anyone else) is convicted. Wait for more investigations to unfold.

Why should we be waiting? If Libby and Rove were involved
(and it looks like they were), they would've resigned or
been fired a long time ago. That is, if the administration
lived up to the lofty standards it claimed for itself.

The president's press secretary said (Sept 29, 2003):

"The President has set high standards, the highest of
standards for people in his administration. He's made
it very clear to people in his administration that he
expects them to adhere to the highest standards of conduct.
If anyone in this administration was involved in it,
they would no longer be in this administration."
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/09/20030929-7.html

Tom Ace

41 wrote:
> Bill Sornson wrote:
>> James Annan wrote:

>>> However, I have never heard of it being considered a criminal matter

>> Neither was Clinton's "affair" with the human humidor. What was
>> /criminal/ was his lying in a SEPARATE MATTER (the Paula Jones
>> harassment lawsuit), and then coercing Monica to file false
>> testimony as part of his defense.

> So, applying the same standards you apply to I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby,
> since of the various putative offenses, Clinton was either not charged
> or aquitted of them, you should get over it and admit his innocence.

You're right. I admit Scooter is (probably) innocent.

Happy now?