Dinner delivery tonight

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jude, Jan 9, 2006.

  1. Jude

    Jude Guest

    My boyfriend's mom got cataract surgery today. She had a ride to and
    from the doctor's office (My BF was going to take her but she didn't
    want him to take off work), but I knew she'd come home to an empty
    apartment, tired from the surgery, and end up ordering a pizza. So I
    offered to bring her dinner and company for the evening, and my offer
    was cheerfully accepted.

    So I asked the BF, what do you think I should make? She's second
    generation italian-American, so my usual lasagne with homemade sauce
    was out - not up to her Mom's standards I'm sure! I'm a fish-eating
    vegetarian, and every time we've been out to dinner together, she's
    eaten burgers or chicken sandwiches. maybe the occasional steak.

    Dunno, he says. Real helpful. I don't know what my mom likes to eat.
    You lived with her for how many years? i asked. He grinned. Not the
    most observant of sons, although the two of them are really close. He
    was completely unhelpful. His only suggestion was a favorite of HIS-
    zucchini-noodle casserole. Probably not the kind of heavy food she
    wanted to eat after sugery.

    So I made seafood chowder, with homemade ceasar salad (including
    anchovies, we both like them that way) with my faaaabulous caesar
    dressing (not really mine but hell, I made it, so it's mine now!)((the
    real vinaigrette style dressing, lotsa garlic, not one of those weird
    creamy ones)), and picked jup a loaf of king's hawaiiain (sp?) bread.
    for dessert - since we're all recovering from the holidays - i bought a
    pound of nice ripe organic strawberries and served them with sour cream
    and turbinado sugar crystals. not too heavy, fairly simple, but
    delicious. She was quite pleased when not only did I serve her dinner,
    but did the dishes AND left her the strawberries for breakfast in the
    morning.

    I thnk I scored some 'family' points tonight! (Actually, they all like
    me. I spend time with his mom semi-often when he's at work. She also
    babysits for my daughter once a month or so so that he & I can go out.
    She refers to my kiddo as "my future granddaughter =)! )

    And you thought i was gonna post about pizza or Chinese food =P

    Tags:

  2. Bronwyn

    Bronwyn Guest

    What a thoughtful future (?) d-i-l you are! Such generosity is rare
    these days when everyone seems to work or be too busy to put in the
    time to cook first and then visit with a gourmet treat.
    The menu sounded perfectly balanced and delicious.

    Cheers
    Bronwyn

  3. tofuqueen

    tofuqueen Guest

    Jude wrote:
    > My boyfriend's mom got cataract surgery today. She had a ride to and
    > from the doctor's office (My BF was going to take her but she didn't
    > want him to take off work), but I knew she'd come home to an empty
    > apartment, tired from the surgery, and end up ordering a pizza. So I
    > offered to bring her dinner and company for the evening, and my offer
    > was cheerfully accepted.
    >
    > So I asked the BF, what do you think I should make? She's second
    > generation italian-American, so my usual lasagne with homemade sauce
    > was out - not up to her Mom's standards I'm sure! I'm a fish-eating
    > vegetarian, and every time we've been out to dinner together, she's
    > eaten burgers or chicken sandwiches. maybe the occasional steak.
    >
    > Dunno, he says. Real helpful. I don't know what my mom likes to eat.
    > You lived with her for how many years? i asked. He grinned. Not the
    > most observant of sons, although the two of them are really close. He
    > was completely unhelpful. His only suggestion was a favorite of HIS-
    > zucchini-noodle casserole. Probably not the kind of heavy food she
    > wanted to eat after sugery.
    >
    > So I made seafood chowder, with homemade ceasar salad (including
    > anchovies, we both like them that way) with my faaaabulous caesar
    > dressing (not really mine but hell, I made it, so it's mine now!)((the
    > real vinaigrette style dressing, lotsa garlic, not one of those weird
    > creamy ones)), and picked jup a loaf of king's hawaiiain (sp?) bread.
    > for dessert - since we're all recovering from the holidays - i bought a
    > pound of nice ripe organic strawberries and served them with sour cream
    > and turbinado sugar crystals. not too heavy, fairly simple, but
    > delicious. She was quite pleased when not only did I serve her dinner,
    > but did the dishes AND left her the strawberries for breakfast in the
    > morning.
    >
    > I thnk I scored some 'family' points tonight! (Actually, they all like
    > me. I spend time with his mom semi-often when he's at work. She also
    > babysits for my daughter once a month or so so that he & I can go out.
    > She refers to my kiddo as "my future granddaughter =)! )
    >
    > And you thought i was gonna post about pizza or Chinese food =P

    You sound like a doll. She is very luck to have you for a future
    daughter in law. Maybe this trend/relationship/friendship continue!

  4. Jude wrote:

    > my faaaabulous caesar dressing (not really mine but hell, I made it, so
    > it's mine now!)((the real vinaigrette style dressing, lotsa garlic, not
    > one of those weird creamy ones))

    "Real" vinaigrette style dressing?

    A "real" Caesar salad is made with Parmesan cheese and egg, both of which
    contribute to a creamy texture.

    Bob

  5. On Mon 09 Jan 2006 08:46:01p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bob
    Terwilliger?

    > Jude wrote:
    >
    >> my faaaabulous caesar dressing (not really mine but hell, I made it, so
    >> it's mine now!)((the real vinaigrette style dressing, lotsa garlic, not
    >> one of those weird creamy ones))

    > "Real" vinaigrette style dressing?
    >
    > A "real" Caesar salad is made with Parmesan cheese and egg, both of which
    > contribute to a creamy texture.
    >
    > Bob

    Is it really necessary to once more go down the road of "Caesar" anything
    dressings?

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  6. Ya done good, kid!!!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  7. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Jude wrote:

    > So I asked the BF, what do you think I should make? She's second
    > generation italian-American, so my usual lasagne with homemade sauce
    > was out - not up to her Mom's standards I'm sure! I'm a fish-eating
    > vegetarian, and every time we've been out to dinner together, she's
    > eaten burgers or chicken sandwiches. maybe the occasional steak.

    I never try to cook Italian food for Italians.

    My neighbour is Italian, and her parents live in the house on the other
    side of theirs. I have been treated to a lot of nice Italian dinners in
    their homes. I know that they pride themselves on some of those dishes,
    especially some of the pasta dishes and they really were great meals. It's
    not my style of cooking and I am not going to try to compete with them.

    I had the neighbours over for dinner a few nights ago. I cooked Mango
    Chicken, a great dish made by browning boneless chicken breasts in butter,
    then drying chopped onion and thinly sliced red pepper and adding some
    mango chutney, a bit of red wine vinegar and Dijonmustard, then a cup of
    heavy cream and reducing it to a nice sauce, topping it with chopped green
    onion.

  8. Wayne jumped in:

    >> Jude wrote:
    >>
    >>> my faaaabulous caesar dressing (not really mine but hell, I made it, so
    >>> it's mine now!)((the real vinaigrette style dressing, lotsa garlic, not
    >>> one of those weird creamy ones))

    >> "Real" vinaigrette style dressing?
    >>
    >> A "real" Caesar salad is made with Parmesan cheese and egg, both of which
    >> contribute to a creamy texture.
    >>
    >> Bob

    > Is it really necessary to once more go down the road of "Caesar" anything
    > dressings?

    Well SHE started it! How would you like it if I wrote about my faaaabulous
    Thousand Island salad dressing, then went on to say "the real
    vinaigrette-style Thousand Island dressing, not one of those weird creamy
    ones"?

    Bob

  9. Kathy in NZ

    Kathy in NZ Guest

    On 9 Jan 2006 19:09:40 -0800, "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My boyfriend's mom got cataract surgery today. She had a ride to and
    >from the doctor's office (My BF was going to take her but she didn't
    >want him to take off work), but I knew she'd come home to an empty
    >apartment, tired from the surgery, and end up ordering a pizza. So I
    >offered to bring her dinner and company for the evening, and my offer
    >was cheerfully accepted.
    >

    >So I made seafood chowder, with homemade ceasar salad (including
    >anchovies, we both like them that way) with my faaaabulous caesar
    >dressing (not really mine but hell, I made it, so it's mine now!)((the
    >real vinaigrette style dressing, lotsa garlic, not one of those weird
    >creamy ones)), and picked jup a loaf of king's hawaiiain (sp?) bread.
    >for dessert - since we're all recovering from the holidays - i bought a
    >pound of nice ripe organic strawberries and served them with sour cream
    >and turbinado sugar crystals. not too heavy, fairly simple, but
    >delicious. She was quite pleased when not only did I serve her dinner,
    >but did the dishes AND left her the strawberries for breakfast in the
    >morning.

    Sounds lovely and I'm sure she enjoyed the attention as much as the
    food. Good on you.

    Kathy in NZ

  10. Bob Terwilliger wrote:
    > Wayne jumped in:

    >>>"Real" vinaigrette style dressing?
    >>>
    >>>A "real" Caesar salad is made with Parmesan cheese and egg, both of which
    >>>contribute to a creamy texture.
    >>>
    >>>Bob

    >>Is it really necessary to once more go down the road of "Caesar" anything
    >>dressings?

    > Well SHE started it! How would you like it if I wrote about my faaaabulous
    > Thousand Island salad dressing, then went on to say "the real
    > vinaigrette-style Thousand Island dressing, not one of those weird creamy
    > ones"?
    >
    > Bob

    well, I think she meant like one of those *creamy* creamy ceasar
    dressings. they're like creamy garlic with parmesan. ick.

    --

    saerah

    http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  11. On Mon 09 Jan 2006 10:38:56p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sarah
    bennett?

    > Bob Terwilliger wrote:
    >> Wayne jumped in:

    >>>Is it really necessary to once more go down the road of "Caesar"
    >>>anything dressings?

    >> Well SHE started it! How would you like it if I wrote about my
    >> faaaabulous Thousand Island salad dressing, then went on to say "the
    >> real vinaigrette-style Thousand Island dressing, not one of those weird
    >> creamy ones"?
    >>
    >> Bob
    >>

    > well, I think she meant like one of those *creamy* creamy ceasar
    > dressings. they're like creamy garlic with parmesan. ick.

    That's what I thought, too.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.

  12. "Jude" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I thnk I scored some 'family' points tonight! (Actually, they all like
    > me. I spend time with his mom semi-often when he's at work. She also
    > babysits for my daughter once a month or so so that he & I can go out.
    > She refers to my kiddo as "my future granddaughter =)! )
    >
    > And you thought i was gonna post about pizza or Chinese food =P

    What a nice gesture. BTW, what are/is turbinado sugar crystals?

    Michael
    --
    Pics aren't great but here are 2 of my 4 brats.
    Hoot about to snatch the snack out of my mouth:

    Ramsey ever curious about electronics breaking into the TMobile bag:
    http://tinypic.com/jtrwgn.jpg

  13. Jude

    Jude Guest

    sarah bennett wrote:
    > Bob Terwilliger wrote:
    > > Wayne jumped in:

    > >>Is it really necessary to once more go down the road of "Caesar" anything
    > >>dressings?

    > > Well SHE started it! How would you like it if I wrote about my faaaabulous
    > > Thousand Island salad dressing, then went on to say "the real
    > > vinaigrette-style Thousand Island dressing, not one of those weird creamy
    > > ones"?
    > >
    > > Bob
    > >

    > well, I think she meant like one of those *creamy* creamy ceasar
    > dressings. they're like creamy garlic with parmesan. ick.
    >
    > --
    >
    > saerah

    Hit the nail right on the head. i hate going out and ordering Caesar
    salad, and getting romaine with parmesan and croutons, and a dressing
    that's akin to a garlicy ranch.

    Yes, I used both raw egg and cheese (asiago instead of parmesan, tho),
    and the dressing was perfect.

    Other than that, I'm staying out of all caesar arguments.

  14. Jude

    Jude Guest

    Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
    > "Jude" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >

    > > I thnk I scored some 'family' points tonight! (Actually, they all like
    > > me. I spend time with his mom semi-often when he's at work. She also
    > > babysits for my daughter once a month or so so that he & I can go out.
    > > She refers to my kiddo as "my future granddaughter =)! )
    > >
    > > And you thought i was gonna post about pizza or Chinese food =P

    > What a nice gesture. BTW, what are/is turbinado sugar crystals?
    >

    > Michael

    Turbinado sugar is one of my favorite recent discoveries. It's sugar
    srystals which are, I believe, less processed than white sugar, but not
    quite a raw suagr. It's pale brown, but it's large crystals, not like a
    bag of grocery-store brown sugar. I've been using it like the big
    crystals of bakers' sugar that they sprinkle on things at bakeries; it
    stays crystallized when you sprinkle it on pastries, rather than
    melting or mixing in. I like the crunch of it.

    You can get it at the health food store or a gourmet market like Fresh
    Market or Trader Joe's.

  15. On Tue 10 Jan 2006 10:21:06a, Jude wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > sarah bennett wrote:
    >> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
    >> > Wayne jumped in:

    >> > Well SHE started it! How would you like it if I wrote about my
    >> > faaaabulous Thousand Island salad dressing, then went on to say "the
    >> > real vinaigrette-style Thousand Island dressing, not one of those
    >> > weird creamy ones"?
    >> >
    >> > Bob
    >> >

    >> well, I think she meant like one of those *creamy* creamy ceasar
    >> dressings. they're like creamy garlic with parmesan. ick.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> saerah

    > Hit the nail right on the head. i hate going out and ordering Caesar
    > salad, and getting romaine with parmesan and croutons, and a dressing
    > that's akin to a garlicy ranch.
    >
    > Yes, I used both raw egg and cheese (asiago instead of parmesan, tho),
    > and the dressing was perfect.
    >
    > Other than that, I'm staying out of all caesar arguments.

    Wise move on your part! <g>

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  16. On 9 Jan 2006 19:09:40 -0800, in rec.food.cooking, "Jude"
    <[email protected]> hit the crackpipe and declared:
    >My boyfriend's mom got cataract surgery today. She had a ride to and
    >from the doctor's office (My BF was going to take her but she didn't
    >want him to take off work), but I knew she'd come home to an empty
    >apartment, tired from the surgery, and end up ordering a pizza. So I
    >offered to bring her dinner and company for the evening, and my offer
    >was cheerfully accepted.
    >
    >So I asked the BF, what do you think I should make? She's second
    >generation italian-American, so my usual lasagne with homemade sauce
    >was out - not up to her Mom's standards I'm sure! I'm a fish-eating
    >vegetarian, and every time we've been out to dinner together, she's
    >eaten burgers or chicken sandwiches. maybe the occasional steak.
    >
    >Dunno, he says. Real helpful. I don't know what my mom likes to eat.
    >You lived with her for how many years? i asked. He grinned. Not the
    >most observant of sons, although the two of them are really close. He
    >was completely unhelpful. His only suggestion was a favorite of HIS-
    >zucchini-noodle casserole. Probably not the kind of heavy food she
    >wanted to eat after sugery.
    >
    >So I made seafood chowder, with homemade ceasar salad (including
    >anchovies, we both like them that way) with my faaaabulous caesar
    >dressing (not really mine but hell, I made it, so it's mine now!)((the
    >real vinaigrette style dressing, lotsa garlic, not one of those weird
    >creamy ones)), and picked jup a loaf of king's hawaiiain (sp?) bread.
    >for dessert - since we're all recovering from the holidays - i bought a
    >pound of nice ripe organic strawberries and served them with sour cream
    >and turbinado sugar crystals. not too heavy, fairly simple, but
    >delicious. She was quite pleased when not only did I serve her dinner,
    >but did the dishes AND left her the strawberries for breakfast in the
    >morning.
    >
    >I thnk I scored some 'family' points tonight! (Actually, they all like
    >me. I spend time with his mom semi-often when he's at work. She also
    >babysits for my daughter once a month or so so that he & I can go out.
    >She refers to my kiddo as "my future granddaughter =)! )
    >
    >And you thought i was gonna post about pizza or Chinese food =P

    You're a vegetarian and eat fish and dairy? Fish do have feelings,
    and what the hell do you think happens to those dairy cows after
    they've lost that loving feeling? I suppose you wear leather, too.
    LOL

  17. Jude

    Jude Guest

    projectile vomit chick wrote:

    > You're a vegetarian and eat fish and dairy? Fish do have feelings,
    > and what the hell do you think happens to those dairy cows after
    > they've lost that loving feeling? I suppose you wear leather, too.
    > LOL

    Yeah, and in 17 years of making these dietary choices, I've never been
    confronted by juvenile holier-than-thou eaters like you before. Ouch,
    you hurt me so much, I'm crying.

    BTW, are you a raw foodie vegan? Or just a bitch?

  18. Jude

    Jude Guest

    > and what the hell do you think happens to those dairy cows after
    > they've lost that loving feeling? I suppose you wear leather, too.

    Um, check your research. Old dairy cows don't produce leather. There
    are completely seperate animals that are born and die for your shoes
    and jacket. Different ways of raising them, different feed, different
    exercise to produce soft supple leather rather than creamy flowing
    milk. OH yeah, but to know this, you'd have to have your brains
    somewhere other than your ass.

  19. Jude

    Jude Guest

    projectile vomit chick wrote:

    > You're a vegetarian and eat fish and dairy? Fish do have feelings,
    > and what the hell do you think happens to those dairy cows after
    > they've lost that loving feeling? I suppose you wear leather, too.
    > LOL

    Yeah, and in 17 years of making these dietary choices, I've never been
    confronted by juvenile holier-than-thou eaters like you before. Ouch,
    you hurt me so much, I'm crying.

    BTW, are you a raw foodie vegan? Or just a bitch?

  20. On 10 Jan 2006 10:52:06 -0800, in rec.food.cooking, "Jude"
    <[email protected]> hit the crackpipe and declared:
    >projectile vomit chick wrote:
    >
    >> You're a vegetarian and eat fish and dairy? Fish do have feelings,
    >> and what the hell do you think happens to those dairy cows after
    >> they've lost that loving feeling? I suppose you wear leather, too.
    >> LOL

    >Yeah, and in 17 years of making these dietary choices, I've never been
    >confronted by juvenile holier-than-thou eaters like you before. Ouch,
    >you hurt me so much, I'm crying.
    >
    >BTW, are you a raw foodie vegan? Or just a bitch?

    Just a bitch. <g>