Dinner? Help me decide, please

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jmcquown, Jan 29, 2006.

  1. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Dinner tonight? I'm torn. I have angel-hair pasta. I have a can of crab
    meat (tuna sized can, not the type you have to refrigerate) and a can of
    small shrimp. I could make a white sauce and add some grated cheese, the
    crab and shrimp to make a seafood "alfredo" of sorts (let's don't start
    about there is no such thing, or seafood with cheese sucks, okay?). I've
    got tons of herbs & spices and that granualted garlic from Penzey's. I
    don't have any Parmesan, but I *do* have Asiago, which is a firm grating
    cheese similar to Parm.

    *or*

    I have a jar of plain Prego tomato sauce. (I know, I know, but tomatoes
    aren't in season and I don't have any canned diced tomatoes or canned tomato
    sauce.) I also don't have any Italian sausage or ground beef, which isn't
    really a problem. If I go this route it will just be pasta with tomato
    sauce (jazzed up with some herbs, garlic, etc.) and maybe some Asiago grated
    on top.

    And the only bread I have is a nice dense sourdough which, while very nice
    toasted, doesn't make for great garlic bread. Okay, I don't have to have
    garlic bread. Just buttered toasted bread would be fine.

    Given the *specific ingredients* I've listed, which would you prepare? I'm
    not in the mood to drive to the store to pick up other stuff. But I am also
    in one of those moods where I can flip-flop about a meal at a moments
    notice, which is why I can't decide which to prepare. Either one will net
    me leftovers for the next few days, which is a good thing :)

    Jill

    Tags:

  2. jmcquown wrote on 29 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > Dinner tonight? I'm torn. I have angel-hair pasta. I have a can of
    > crab meat (tuna sized can, not the type you have to refrigerate) and a
    > can of small shrimp. I could make a white sauce and add some grated
    > cheese, the crab and shrimp to make a seafood "alfredo" of sorts
    > (let's don't start about there is no such thing, or seafood with
    > cheese sucks, okay?). I've got tons of herbs & spices and that
    > granualted garlic from Penzey's. I don't have any Parmesan, but I
    > *do* have Asiago, which is a firm grating cheese similar to Parm.
    >
    > *or*
    >
    > I have a jar of plain Prego tomato sauce. (I know, I know, but
    > tomatoes aren't in season and I don't have any canned diced tomatoes
    > or canned tomato sauce.) I also don't have any Italian sausage or
    > ground beef, which isn't really a problem. If I go this route it will
    > just be pasta with tomato sauce (jazzed up with some herbs, garlic,
    > etc.) and maybe some Asiago grated on top.
    >
    > And the only bread I have is a nice dense sourdough which, while very
    > nice toasted, doesn't make for great garlic bread. Okay, I don't have
    > to have garlic bread. Just buttered toasted bread would be fine.
    >
    > Given the *specific ingredients* I've listed, which would you prepare?
    > I'm not in the mood to drive to the store to pick up other stuff.
    > But I am also in one of those moods where I can flip-flop about a meal
    > at a moments notice, which is why I can't decide which to prepare.
    > Either one will net me leftovers for the next few days, which is a
    > good thing :)
    >
    > Jill

    crab cakes and a baked tater.

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.

  3. kevnbro

    kevnbro Guest

    >Given the *specific ingredients* I've listed, which would you prepare?

    Jill, I get the impression that you've already decided what you're
    having for dinner... the seafood alfredo on angel hair.
    How do I know this? Re-read your post. :) kev

  4. limey

    limey Guest

    "kevnbro" wrote
    > >Given the *specific ingredients* I've listed, which would you prepare?

    > Jill, I get the impression that you've already decided what you're
    > having for dinner... the seafood alfredo on angel hair.
    > How do I know this? Re-read your post. :) kev

    Yes - fix the alfredo!! One of my favorite dishes at our seafood restaurant
    of choice has crab, shrimp and scallops in an alfredo sauce, over linguini.
    It's great. I'd make it at home but DH says he doesn't like pasta (ha - but
    eats spaghetti and macaroni and cheese). I think I'll make it one of our
    standard "I'll have this and you fix that" meals.

    Dora

  5. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote on 29 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking
    >
    >> Dinner tonight? I'm torn.
    >>
    >> Given the *specific ingredients* I've listed, which would you
    >> prepare?
    >>
    >> Jill
    >>

    > crab cakes and a baked tater.

    You nut! I don't have any potatoes! I could do crab cakes (I have two cans
    of the crab meat) and a steamed veggie - I have frozen broccoli florets,
    frozen baby leaf spinach, frozen brussels sprouts and frozen sliced yellow
    squash. Or I could change gears completely and make salmon cakes.

    Now you've gone and given me more things to decide about! LOL

    Jill

  6. "jmcquown" <[email protected]> writes:

    >small shrimp. I could make a white sauce and add some grated cheese, the
    >crab and shrimp to make a seafood "alfredo" of sorts (let's don't start
    >about there is no such thing, or seafood with cheese sucks, okay?). I've
    >got tons of herbs & spices and that granualted garlic from Penzey's. I
    >don't have any Parmesan, but I *do* have Asiago, which is a firm grating
    >cheese similar to Parm.

    I'm definitely voting for something with the pasta, seafood and
    asiago. I love asiago with strong seafood flavors.
    You could also toss the shrimp in the Prego and have it with pasta and
    asiago. Yum. I don't think you can go wrong!

    Stacia

  7. sf

    sf Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:14:05 -0600, jmcquown wrote:

    > > crab cakes and a baked tater.

    > You nut! I don't have any potatoes! I could do crab cakes (I have two cans
    > of the crab meat) and a steamed veggie - I have frozen broccoli florets,
    > frozen baby leaf spinach, frozen brussels sprouts and frozen sliced yellow
    > squash. Or I could change gears completely and make salmon cakes.
    >
    > Now you've gone and given me more things to decide about! LOL

    Yep... croquettes appeal to me too. Otherwise, the pasta - tomato
    sauce thing.

  8. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    sf wrote:
    > On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:14:05 -0600, jmcquown wrote:
    >> >
    >> > crab cakes and a baked tater.

    >> You nut! I don't have any potatoes! I could do crab cakes (I have
    >> two cans of the crab meat) and a steamed veggie - I have frozen
    >> broccoli florets, frozen baby leaf spinach, frozen brussels sprouts
    >> and frozen sliced yellow squash. Or I could change gears
    >> completely and make salmon cakes.
    >>
    >> Now you've gone and given me more things to decide about! LOL
    >>

    > Yep... croquettes appeal to me too. Otherwise, the pasta - tomato
    > sauce thing.

    But I don't have one of those nifty cast iron fish-shaped molds like Boli
    has for his salmon croquettes :) I'll just have to stick with forming it
    into patties if I go this route.

    Jill

  9. sf

    sf Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:40:20 -0600, jmcquown wrote:

    > But I don't have one of those nifty cast iron fish-shaped molds like Boli
    > has for his salmon croquettes :) I'll just have to stick with forming it
    > into patties if I go this route.

    Personally, I like shaping them into cones with my hands. Go for it!

  10. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    sf wrote:
    > On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:40:20 -0600, jmcquown wrote:
    > >
    > > I'll just have to stick with forming it into patties if I go this route.

    > Personally, I like shaping them into cones with my hands.

    Oh boy, me too! ;)

    Sheldon

  11. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Glitter Ninja wrote:
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > >small shrimp. I could make a white sauce and add some grated cheese, the
    > >crab and shrimp to make a seafood "alfredo" of sorts (let's don't start
    > >about there is no such thing, or seafood with cheese sucks, okay?). I've
    > >got tons of herbs & spices and that granualted garlic from Penzey's. I
    > >don't have any Parmesan, but I *do* have Asiago, which is a firm grating
    > >cheese similar to Parm.

    > I'm definitely voting for something with the pasta, seafood and
    > asiago. I love asiago with strong seafood flavors.
    > You could also toss the shrimp in the Prego and have it with pasta and
    > asiago. Yum. I don't think you can go wrong!

    Not me... I'd do it a la my linguini with clam sauce, white....
    puhlenty garlic, olive earl, dry white, parsley, red pepper flakes...
    no stinkin' cream, NO stinkin' chiz!

    Sheldon

  12. "jmcquown" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Dinner tonight? I'm torn. I have angel-hair pasta. I have a can of
    > crab meat (tuna sized can, not the type you have to refrigerate) and a
    > can of small shrimp. I could make a white sauce and add some grated
    > cheese, the crab and shrimp to make a seafood "alfredo" of sorts
    > (let's don't start about there is no such thing, or seafood with
    > cheese sucks, okay?). I've got tons of herbs & spices and that
    > granualted garlic from Penzey's. I don't have any Parmesan, but I
    > *do* have Asiago, which is a firm grating cheese similar to Parm.
    >
    > *or*
    >
    > I have a jar of plain Prego tomato sauce. (I know, I know, but
    > tomatoes aren't in season and I don't have any canned diced tomatoes
    > or canned tomato sauce.) I also don't have any Italian sausage or
    > ground beef, which isn't really a problem. If I go this route it will
    > just be pasta with tomato sauce (jazzed up with some herbs, garlic,
    > etc.) and maybe some Asiago grated on top.
    >
    > And the only bread I have is a nice dense sourdough which, while very
    > nice toasted, doesn't make for great garlic bread. Okay, I don't have
    > to have garlic bread. Just buttered toasted bread would be fine.
    >
    > Given the *specific ingredients* I've listed, which would you prepare?
    > I'm not in the mood to drive to the store to pick up other stuff.
    > But I am also in one of those moods where I can flip-flop about a meal
    > at a moments notice, which is why I can't decide which to prepare.
    > Either one will net me leftovers for the next few days, which is a
    > good thing :)
    >
    > Jill

    I would do the seafood alfredo thingy. I'd also make an herbed butter for
    the toasted bread. If you have any soup or salad makings serve it with.

    Michael

    --
    “It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
    _Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

  13. Jill wrote:

    > Dinner tonight? I'm torn. I have angel-hair pasta. I have a can of crab
    > meat (tuna sized can, not the type you have to refrigerate) and a can of
    > small shrimp. I could make a white sauce and add some grated cheese, the
    > crab and shrimp to make a seafood "alfredo" of sorts (let's don't start
    > about there is no such thing, or seafood with cheese sucks, okay?). I've
    > got tons of herbs & spices and that granualted garlic from Penzey's. I
    > don't have any Parmesan, but I *do* have Asiago, which is a firm grating
    > cheese similar to Parm.
    >
    > *or*
    >
    > I have a jar of plain Prego tomato sauce. (I know, I know, but tomatoes
    > aren't in season and I don't have any canned diced tomatoes or canned
    > tomato sauce.) I also don't have any Italian sausage or ground beef,
    > which isn't really a problem. If I go this route it will just be pasta
    > with tomato sauce (jazzed up with some herbs, garlic, etc.) and maybe some
    > Asiago grated on top.
    >
    > And the only bread I have is a nice dense sourdough which, while very nice
    > toasted, doesn't make for great garlic bread. Okay, I don't have to have
    > garlic bread. Just buttered toasted bread would be fine.
    >
    > Given the *specific ingredients* I've listed, which would you prepare?
    > I'm not in the mood to drive to the store to pick up other stuff. But I
    > am also in one of those moods where I can flip-flop about a meal at a
    > moments notice, which is why I can't decide which to prepare. Either one
    > will net me leftovers for the next few days, which is a good thing :)

    I'd use the sourdough to make bruschetta with shrimp and tarragon, then have
    the angel-hair pasta with jazzed-up Prego and cheese.

    Bob

  14. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Sheldon wrote:
    > Glitter Ninja wrote:
    >> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> writes:
    >>
    >>> small shrimp. I could make a white sauce and add some grated
    >>> cheese, the crab and shrimp to make a seafood "alfredo" of sorts
    >>> (let's don't start about there is no such thing, or seafood with
    >>> cheese sucks, okay?). I've got tons of herbs & spices and that
    >>> granualted garlic from Penzey's. I don't have any Parmesan, but I
    >>> *do* have Asiago, which is a firm grating cheese similar to Parm.

    >> I'm definitely voting for something with the pasta, seafood and
    >> asiago. I love asiago with strong seafood flavors.
    >> You could also toss the shrimp in the Prego and have it with pasta
    >> and asiago. Yum. I don't think you can go wrong!

    > Not me... I'd do it a la my linguini with clam sauce, white....
    > puhlenty garlic, olive earl, dry white, parsley, red pepper flakes...
    > no stinkin' cream, NO stinkin' chiz!
    >
    > Sheldon

    Of course I knew you'd say no cream or cheese with crab meat, which is why I
    requested in my original post to forget about making such comments! I
    didn't have clam sauce nor clams nor linguini. Nor dry white. If I had,
    I'd probably have made linguini with clam sauce.

    As it was, I had angel hair pasta, crab meat, various herbs, granulated
    garlic and Asiago cheese. And I must say, it turned out quite nicely!

    You may go order your "Dego" linguini now <WINK>

    Jill

  15. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    > Dinner tonight? I'm torn. I have angel-hair pasta. I have a can of crab
    > meat (tuna sized can, not the type you have to refrigerate) and a can of
    > small shrimp. I could make a white sauce and add some grated cheese, the
    > crab and shrimp to make a seafood "alfredo" of sorts (let's don't start
    > about there is no such thing, or seafood with cheese sucks, okay?). I've
    > got tons of herbs & spices and that granualted garlic from Penzey's. I
    > don't have any Parmesan, but I *do* have Asiago, which is a firm grating
    > cheese similar to Parm.
    >
    > *or*
    >
    > I have a jar of plain Prego tomato sauce. (I know, I know, but tomatoes
    > aren't in season and I don't have any canned diced tomatoes or canned
    > tomato
    > sauce.) I also don't have any Italian sausage or ground beef, which isn't
    > really a problem. If I go this route it will just be pasta with tomato
    > sauce (jazzed up with some herbs, garlic, etc.) and maybe some Asiago
    > grated
    > on top.
    >
    > And the only bread I have is a nice dense sourdough which, while very nice
    > toasted, doesn't make for great garlic bread. Okay, I don't have to have
    > garlic bread. Just buttered toasted bread would be fine.
    >
    > Given the *specific ingredients* I've listed, which would you prepare?
    > I'm
    > not in the mood to drive to the store to pick up other stuff. But I am
    > also
    > in one of those moods where I can flip-flop about a meal at a moments
    > notice, which is why I can't decide which to prepare. Either one will net
    > me leftovers for the next few days, which is a good thing :)
    >
    > Jill

    I would definitely go with the red sauce, mostly because I don't care for
    really thin pasta with cream sauce. I like substantial pasta for such a rich
    sauce.
    The tomato sauce with alot of asiago, that would be my choice. And if you
    like, you can add the shrimp:)

    kimberly