dinner last night

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by sf, Aug 15, 2005.

  1. sf

    sf Guest

    DD made a yummy lasagne last night... recipe was from FoodTV.

    Classic Italian Lasagna
    Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

    Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Medium
    Prep Time: 30 minutes
    Cook Time: 45 minutes
    Yield: 6 servings
    User Rating: 4 Stars

    Bechamel Sauce:
    5 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus 2 tablespoons for the lasagna
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    4 cups whole milk at room temperature
    Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
    1 1/2 cups tomato sauce, recipe follows
    Salt and white pepper

    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1 pound ground chuck beef
    Salt and pepper
    1 1/2 pounds ricotta cheese
    3 large eggs
    1 pound lasagna sheets, cooked al dente
    2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and
    squeezed dry
    3 cups shredded mozzarella
    1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan

    Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

    Bechamel sauce:
    In a 2-quart pot, melt 5 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. When
    butter has completely melted, add the flour and whisk until smooth,
    about 2 minutes. Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly to
    prevent any lumps from forming. Continue to simmer and whisk over
    medium heat until the sauce is thick, smooth and creamy, about 10
    minutes. The sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of wooden
    spoon. Remove from heat and add the nutmeg and tomato sauce. Stir
    until well combined and check for seasoning. Set aside and allow to
    cool completely.

    In a saute pan, heat extra-virgin olive oil. When almost smoking, add
    the ground beef and season with salt and pepper. Brown meat, breaking
    any large lumps, until it is no longer pink. Remove from heat and
    drain any excess fat. Set aside and allow to cool completely.

    In a medium sized bowl, thoroughly mix the ricotta and eggs. Season
    with salt and pepper. Set aside.

    Into the bottom of a 13 by 9-inch baking dish, spread 1/3 of the
    bechamel sauce. Arrange the pasta sheets side by side, covering the
    bottom of the baking dish. Evenly spread a layer of all the ricotta
    mixture and then a layer of all the spinach. Arrange another layer of
    pasta sheets and spread all the ground beef on top. Sprinkle 1/2 the
    mozzarella cheese on top of the beef. Spread another 1/3 of the
    bechamel sauce. Arrange the final layer of pasta sheets and top with
    remaining bechamel, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Cut the remaining
    2 tablespoons of butter into 1/4-inch cubes and top lasagna.

    Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place lasagna dish on
    top, cover and put on the middle rack of the oven and bake until top
    is bubbling, about 30 minutes. Remove cover and continue to bake for
    about 15 minutes.

    Simple Tomato Sauce:
    1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1 small onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 stalk celery, chopped
    1 carrot, chopped
    Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 (32-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
    2 dried bay leaves
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter, optional

    In a large casserole pot or Dutch over, heat oil over medium high
    heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft and translucent, about
    5 to 10 minutes. Add celery and carrots and season with salt and
    pepper. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 5 to 10
    minutes. Add tomatoes and bay leaves and simmer uncovered on low heat
    for 1 hour or until thick. Remove bay leaves and check for seasoning.
    If sauce still tastes acidic, add unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon at a
    time to round out the flavors.

    Add 1/2 the tomato sauce into the bowl of a food processor. Process
    until smooth. Continue with remaining tomato sauce.

    If not using all the sauce, allow it to cool completely and pour 1 to
    2 cup portions into freezer plastic bags. This will freeze up to 6
    months.

    Yield: 6 cups
    Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
    Ease of Preparation: Easy

    Episode#: EI1A10
    Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

    Tags:

  2. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
> [...]
    > pepper. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 5 to 10
    > minutes. Add tomatoes and bay leaves and simmer uncovered on low heat
    > for 1 hour or until thick. Remove bay leaves and check for seasoning.
    > If sauce still tastes acidic, add unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon at a
    > time to round out the flavors.
    >
    > Add 1/2 the tomato sauce into the bowl of a food processor. Process
    > until smooth. Continue with remaining tomato sauce.
    >
    > If not using all the sauce, allow it to cool completely and pour 1 to
    > 2 cup portions into freezer plastic bags. This will freeze up to 6
    > months.
    >
    > Yield: 6 cups
    > Prep Time: 15 minutes
    > Cook Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
    > Ease of Preparation: Easy
    >
    > Episode#: EI1A10
    > Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

    I made something similar one time out of Food & Wine Magazine. Literally
    took me about all day, but it was worth it. Thanks, 'cause I lost my
    original recipe. This one will do just fine!

    kili

  3. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:49:26 GMT, kilikini wrote:

    > I made something similar one time out of Food & Wine Magazine. Literally
    > took me about all day, but it was worth it. Thanks, 'cause I lost my
    > original recipe. This one will do just fine!

    She did it in 2 hours, so you'll like this one even better! She
    didn't bring the milk to room temp or allow the bechamel to cool
    completely - which speeded up the process. I took over the spinach
    preparation to make sure it was dry... I even twisted it in a towel to
    remove excess moisture. Unfortunately, there was still some clear
    "liquid" at the bottom of the finished lasagne. So, next time... if
    she plans ahead, she could let the ricotta drain in a strainer
    overnight.

  4. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:49:26 GMT, kilikini wrote:
    >
    > > I made something similar one time out of Food & Wine Magazine.

    Literally
    > > took me about all day, but it was worth it. Thanks, 'cause I lost my
    > > original recipe. This one will do just fine!

    > She did it in 2 hours, so you'll like this one even better! She
    > didn't bring the milk to room temp or allow the bechamel to cool
    > completely - which speeded up the process. I took over the spinach
    > preparation to make sure it was dry... I even twisted it in a towel to
    > remove excess moisture. Unfortunately, there was still some clear
    > "liquid" at the bottom of the finished lasagne. So, next time... if
    > she plans ahead, she could let the ricotta drain in a strainer
    > overnight.

    Awesome! Now, if I can get my hubby to agree to carbs, we're all set. <g>
    Maybe in another month or two. He splurges every now and then.

    kili

  5. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:49:26 GMT, kilikini wrote:
    >>
    >> > I made something similar one time out of Food & Wine Magazine.

    > Literally
    >> > took me about all day, but it was worth it. Thanks, 'cause I lost my
    >> > original recipe. This one will do just fine!

    >> She did it in 2 hours, so you'll like this one even better! She
    >> didn't bring the milk to room temp or allow the bechamel to cool
    >> completely - which speeded up the process. I took over the spinach
    >> preparation to make sure it was dry... I even twisted it in a towel to
    >> remove excess moisture. Unfortunately, there was still some clear
    >> "liquid" at the bottom of the finished lasagne. So, next time... if
    >> she plans ahead, she could let the ricotta drain in a strainer
    >> overnight.

    > Awesome! Now, if I can get my hubby to agree to carbs, we're all set.
    > <g>
    > Maybe in another month or two. He splurges every now and then.
    >
    > kili

    I'm not sure what Tyler Florence program it was, but it probably was one of
    his Food 911 where someone needs big-time help. The woman was wanting to
    make a lasagna that wouldn't fall around/off your utensil when you picked it
    up, but would cut and hold its shape. This could have been it, but I'm not
    totally positve.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_11281,00.html

    Dee Dee

  6. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]

    > > Literally

    my

    > >> She did it in 2 hours, so you'll like this one even better! She
    > >> didn't bring the milk to room temp or allow the bechamel to cool
    > >> completely - which speeded up the process. I took over the spinach
    > >> preparation to make sure it was dry... I even twisted it in a towel to
    > >> remove excess moisture. Unfortunately, there was still some clear
    > >> "liquid" at the bottom of the finished lasagne. So, next time... if
    > >> she plans ahead, she could let the ricotta drain in a strainer
    > >> overnight.

    > > Awesome! Now, if I can get my hubby to agree to carbs, we're all set.
    > > <g>
    > > Maybe in another month or two. He splurges every now and then.
    > >
    > > kili
    > >

    > I'm not sure what Tyler Florence program it was, but it probably was one

    of
    > his Food 911 where someone needs big-time help. The woman was wanting to
    > make a lasagna that wouldn't fall around/off your utensil when you picked

    it
    > up, but would cut and hold its shape. This could have been it, but I'm

    not
    > totally positve.
    > http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_11281,00.html
    >
    > Dee Dee

    Dee Dee, the one I made was for a dinner party and everyone slurped it up in
    seconds. I don't remember if it held its shape, but somehow I'm thinking it
    did? :~) It wasn't as watery, though, I'll give it that. It was AWESOME.

    kili

  7. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> >
    >> > "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> > news:[email protected]

    >> > Literally

    > my

    >> > Awesome! Now, if I can get my hubby to agree to carbs, we're all set.
    >> > <g>
    >> > Maybe in another month or two. He splurges every now and then.
    >> >
    >> > kili
    >> >

    >> I'm not sure what Tyler Florence program it was, but it probably was one

    > of
    >> his Food 911 where someone needs big-time help. The woman was wanting to
    >> make a lasagna that wouldn't fall around/off your utensil when you picked

    > it
    >> up, but would cut and hold its shape. This could have been it, but I'm

    > not
    >> totally positve.
    >> http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_11281,00.html
    >>
    >> Dee Dee

    > Dee Dee, the one I made was for a dinner party and everyone slurped it up
    > in
    > seconds. I don't remember if it held its shape, but somehow I'm thinking
    > it
    > did? :~) It wasn't as watery, though, I'll give it that. It was
    > AWESOME.
    >
    > kili

    I'm glad your lasagna was wonderful and awesome. There's nothing like
    lasagna, and prepared well!
    Aloha,
    Dee Dee

  8. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:52:04 -0400, Dee Randall wrote:

    > I'm not sure what Tyler Florence program it was, but it probably was one of
    > his Food 911 where someone needs big-time help. The woman was wanting to
    > make a lasagna that wouldn't fall around/off your utensil when you picked it
    > up, but would cut and hold its shape. This could have been it, but I'm not
    > totally positve.
    > http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_11281,00.html

    Thanks... I see he didn't cover his. That may be a clue. :)

  9. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:52:04 -0400, Dee Randall wrote:
    >> >

    >> I'm not sure what Tyler Florence program it was, but it probably was one
    >> of
    >> his Food 911 where someone needs big-time help. The woman was wanting
    >> make a lasagna that wouldn't fall around/off your utensil when you
    >> picked it
    >> up, but would cut and hold its shape. This could have been it, but I'm
    >> not
    >> totally positve.
    >>
    >> http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_11281,00.html
    >>

    > Thanks... I see he didn't cover his. That may be a clue. :)

    I've always wondered whether some use a bechamel sauce to bind the
    ingredients together better, layering one layer with bechamel, and the
    another layer with tomato sauce. It seems that some do use both.
    I seem to make it about the same way all the time, but the very last time I
    made lasagne, I had a lot of harder cheese ingredients AND ricotta and I
    went overboard. I can say for a fact that the lasagna stayed together and
    even after it was frozen wrapped in aluminum foil and reheated in the oven,
    there was no ooze.
    Dee Dee

  10. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 21:59:35 -0400, Dee Randall wrote:

    > I can say for a fact that the lasagna stayed together and
    > even after it was frozen wrapped in aluminum foil and reheated in the oven,
    > there was no ooze.

    I think there is less ooze when reheating... but that's just my
    experience.

    Please post the recipe (if you have one for this) when you get a
    chance!

  11. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 21:59:35 -0400, Dee Randall wrote:
    >
    >> I can say for a fact that the lasagna stayed together and
    >> even after it was frozen wrapped in aluminum foil and reheated in the
    >> oven,
    >> there was no ooze.

    > I think there is less ooze when reheating... but that's just my
    > experience.
    >
    > Please post the recipe (if you have one for this) when you get a
    > chance!

    Dear sf,
    No, there was no recipe for this particular way I did it; i.e., so much
    cheese(s). When I make lasagna, I just make it from my head. I have
    Tyler's recipe, and probably Giada's recipe and others in my file, but when
    I get down to making it, I always do my own thing with it. Sometimes it's
    sloppy (and that's when we complain) but this last one I was speaking of was
    absolutely so "tight" you had to have plenty of wine to wash it down, there
    was no taking another bite before that last bit had gone down. I'd really
    like to get around to doing Tyler's verbatim, but it's hard for me to follow
    a recipe tit for tat. ... Well, I do with breads and that sort of thing.
    But if I follow a recipe specifically, for some reason my mind demands it in
    grams, not a head of this and so on.
    Dee Dee