dinner last night

sf

Guest
DD made a yummy lasagne last night... recipe was from FoodTV.

Classic Italian Lasagna
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
User Rating: 4 Stars

Bechamel Sauce:
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus 2 tablespoons for the lasagna
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups whole milk at room temperature
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
1 1/2 cups tomato sauce, recipe follows
Salt and white pepper

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound ground chuck beef
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 pounds ricotta cheese
3 large eggs
1 pound lasagna sheets, cooked al dente
2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and
squeezed dry
3 cups shredded mozzarella
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Bechamel sauce:
In a 2-quart pot, melt 5 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. When
butter has completely melted, add the flour and whisk until smooth,
about 2 minutes. Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly to
prevent any lumps from forming. Continue to simmer and whisk over
medium heat until the sauce is thick, smooth and creamy, about 10
minutes. The sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of wooden
spoon. Remove from heat and add the nutmeg and tomato sauce. Stir
until well combined and check for seasoning. Set aside and allow to
cool completely.

In a saute pan, heat extra-virgin olive oil. When almost smoking, add
the ground beef and season with salt and pepper. Brown meat, breaking
any large lumps, until it is no longer pink. Remove from heat and
drain any excess fat. Set aside and allow to cool completely.

In a medium sized bowl, thoroughly mix the ricotta and eggs. Season
with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Into the bottom of a 13 by 9-inch baking dish, spread 1/3 of the
bechamel sauce. Arrange the pasta sheets side by side, covering the
bottom of the baking dish. Evenly spread a layer of all the ricotta
mixture and then a layer of all the spinach. Arrange another layer of
pasta sheets and spread all the ground beef on top. Sprinkle 1/2 the
mozzarella cheese on top of the beef. Spread another 1/3 of the
bechamel sauce. Arrange the final layer of pasta sheets and top with
remaining bechamel, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Cut the remaining
2 tablespoons of butter into 1/4-inch cubes and top lasagna.

Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place lasagna dish on
top, cover and put on the middle rack of the oven and bake until top
is bubbling, about 30 minutes. Remove cover and continue to bake for
about 15 minutes.

Simple Tomato Sauce:
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 (32-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
2 dried bay leaves
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, optional

In a large casserole pot or Dutch over, heat oil over medium high
heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft and translucent, about
5 to 10 minutes. Add celery and carrots and season with salt and
pepper. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 5 to 10
minutes. Add tomatoes and bay leaves and simmer uncovered on low heat
for 1 hour or until thick. Remove bay leaves and check for seasoning.
If sauce still tastes acidic, add unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon at a
time to round out the flavors.

Add 1/2 the tomato sauce into the bowl of a food processor. Process
until smooth. Continue with remaining tomato sauce.

If not using all the sauce, allow it to cool completely and pour 1 to
2 cup portions into freezer plastic bags. This will freeze up to 6
months.

Yield: 6 cups
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
Ease of Preparation: Easy

Episode#: EI1A10
Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

"sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]
> pepper. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 5 to 10
> minutes. Add tomatoes and bay leaves and simmer uncovered on low heat
> for 1 hour or until thick. Remove bay leaves and check for seasoning.
> If sauce still tastes acidic, add unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon at a
> time to round out the flavors.
>
> Add 1/2 the tomato sauce into the bowl of a food processor. Process
> until smooth. Continue with remaining tomato sauce.
>
> If not using all the sauce, allow it to cool completely and pour 1 to
> 2 cup portions into freezer plastic bags. This will freeze up to 6
> months.
>
> Yield: 6 cups
> Prep Time: 15 minutes
> Cook Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
> Ease of Preparation: Easy
>
> Episode#: EI1A10
> Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

I made something similar one time out of Food & Wine Magazine. Literally
took me about all day, but it was worth it. Thanks, 'cause I lost my
original recipe. This one will do just fine!

kili

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:49:26 GMT, kilikini wrote:

> I made something similar one time out of Food & Wine Magazine. Literally
> took me about all day, but it was worth it. Thanks, 'cause I lost my
> original recipe. This one will do just fine!

She did it in 2 hours, so you'll like this one even better! She
didn't bring the milk to room temp or allow the bechamel to cool
completely - which speeded up the process. I took over the spinach
preparation to make sure it was dry... I even twisted it in a towel to
remove excess moisture. Unfortunately, there was still some clear
"liquid" at the bottom of the finished lasagne. So, next time... if
she plans ahead, she could let the ricotta drain in a strainer
overnight.

"sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:49:26 GMT, kilikini wrote:
>
> > I made something similar one time out of Food & Wine Magazine.

Literally
> > took me about all day, but it was worth it. Thanks, 'cause I lost my
> > original recipe. This one will do just fine!

> She did it in 2 hours, so you'll like this one even better! She
> didn't bring the milk to room temp or allow the bechamel to cool
> completely - which speeded up the process. I took over the spinach
> preparation to make sure it was dry... I even twisted it in a towel to
> remove excess moisture. Unfortunately, there was still some clear
> "liquid" at the bottom of the finished lasagne. So, next time... if
> she plans ahead, she could let the ricotta drain in a strainer
> overnight.

Awesome! Now, if I can get my hubby to agree to carbs, we're all set. <g>
Maybe in another month or two. He splurges every now and then.

kili

"kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:49:26 GMT, kilikini wrote:
>>
>> > I made something similar one time out of Food & Wine Magazine.

> Literally
>> > took me about all day, but it was worth it. Thanks, 'cause I lost my
>> > original recipe. This one will do just fine!

>> She did it in 2 hours, so you'll like this one even better! She
>> didn't bring the milk to room temp or allow the bechamel to cool
>> completely - which speeded up the process. I took over the spinach
>> preparation to make sure it was dry... I even twisted it in a towel to
>> remove excess moisture. Unfortunately, there was still some clear
>> "liquid" at the bottom of the finished lasagne. So, next time... if
>> she plans ahead, she could let the ricotta drain in a strainer
>> overnight.

> Awesome! Now, if I can get my hubby to agree to carbs, we're all set.
> <g>
> Maybe in another month or two. He splurges every now and then.
>
> kili

I'm not sure what Tyler Florence program it was, but it probably was one of
his Food 911 where someone needs big-time help. The woman was wanting to
make a lasagna that wouldn't fall around/off your utensil when you picked it
up, but would cut and hold its shape. This could have been it, but I'm not
totally positve.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_11281,00.html

Dee Dee

"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > Literally

my

> >> She did it in 2 hours, so you'll like this one even better! She
> >> didn't bring the milk to room temp or allow the bechamel to cool
> >> completely - which speeded up the process. I took over the spinach
> >> preparation to make sure it was dry... I even twisted it in a towel to
> >> remove excess moisture. Unfortunately, there was still some clear
> >> "liquid" at the bottom of the finished lasagne. So, next time... if
> >> she plans ahead, she could let the ricotta drain in a strainer
> >> overnight.

> > Awesome! Now, if I can get my hubby to agree to carbs, we're all set.
> > <g>
> > Maybe in another month or two. He splurges every now and then.
> >
> > kili
> >

> I'm not sure what Tyler Florence program it was, but it probably was one

of
> his Food 911 where someone needs big-time help. The woman was wanting to
> make a lasagna that wouldn't fall around/off your utensil when you picked

it
> up, but would cut and hold its shape. This could have been it, but I'm

not
> totally positve.
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_11281,00.html
>
> Dee Dee

Dee Dee, the one I made was for a dinner party and everyone slurped it up in
seconds. I don't remember if it held its shape, but somehow I'm thinking it
did? :~) It wasn't as watery, though, I'll give it that. It was AWESOME.

kili

"kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> >
>> > "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]...

>> > Literally

> my

>> > Awesome! Now, if I can get my hubby to agree to carbs, we're all set.
>> > <g>
>> > Maybe in another month or two. He splurges every now and then.
>> >
>> > kili
>> >

>> I'm not sure what Tyler Florence program it was, but it probably was one

> of
>> his Food 911 where someone needs big-time help. The woman was wanting to
>> make a lasagna that wouldn't fall around/off your utensil when you picked

> it
>> up, but would cut and hold its shape. This could have been it, but I'm

> not
>> totally positve.
>> http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_11281,00.html
>>
>> Dee Dee

> Dee Dee, the one I made was for a dinner party and everyone slurped it up
> in
> seconds. I don't remember if it held its shape, but somehow I'm thinking
> it
> did? :~) It wasn't as watery, though, I'll give it that. It was
> AWESOME.
>
> kili

I'm glad your lasagna was wonderful and awesome. There's nothing like
lasagna, and prepared well!
Aloha,
Dee Dee

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:52:04 -0400, Dee Randall wrote:

> I'm not sure what Tyler Florence program it was, but it probably was one of
> his Food 911 where someone needs big-time help. The woman was wanting to
> make a lasagna that wouldn't fall around/off your utensil when you picked it
> up, but would cut and hold its shape. This could have been it, but I'm not
> totally positve.
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_11281,00.html

Thanks... I see he didn't cover his. That may be a clue. :)

"sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:52:04 -0400, Dee Randall wrote:
>> >

>> I'm not sure what Tyler Florence program it was, but it probably was one
>> of
>> his Food 911 where someone needs big-time help. The woman was wanting
>> make a lasagna that wouldn't fall around/off your utensil when you
>> picked it
>> up, but would cut and hold its shape. This could have been it, but I'm
>> not
>> totally positve.
>>
>> http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_11281,00.html
>>

> Thanks... I see he didn't cover his. That may be a clue. :)

I've always wondered whether some use a bechamel sauce to bind the
ingredients together better, layering one layer with bechamel, and the
another layer with tomato sauce. It seems that some do use both.
I seem to make it about the same way all the time, but the very last time I
made lasagne, I had a lot of harder cheese ingredients AND ricotta and I
went overboard. I can say for a fact that the lasagna stayed together and
even after it was frozen wrapped in aluminum foil and reheated in the oven,
there was no ooze.
Dee Dee

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 21:59:35 -0400, Dee Randall wrote:

> I can say for a fact that the lasagna stayed together and
> even after it was frozen wrapped in aluminum foil and reheated in the oven,
> there was no ooze.

I think there is less ooze when reheating... but that's just my
experience.

Please post the recipe (if you have one for this) when you get a
chance!

"sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 21:59:35 -0400, Dee Randall wrote:
>
>> I can say for a fact that the lasagna stayed together and
>> even after it was frozen wrapped in aluminum foil and reheated in the
>> oven,
>> there was no ooze.

> I think there is less ooze when reheating... but that's just my
> experience.
>
> Please post the recipe (if you have one for this) when you get a
> chance!

Dear sf,
No, there was no recipe for this particular way I did it; i.e., so much
cheese(s). When I make lasagna, I just make it from my head. I have
Tyler's recipe, and probably Giada's recipe and others in my file, but when
I get down to making it, I always do my own thing with it. Sometimes it's
sloppy (and that's when we complain) but this last one I was speaking of was
absolutely so "tight" you had to have plenty of wine to wash it down, there
was no taking another bite before that last bit had gone down. I'd really
like to get around to doing Tyler's verbatim, but it's hard for me to follow
a recipe *** for tat. ... Well, I do with breads and that sort of thing.
But if I follow a recipe specifically, for some reason my mind demands it in
grams, not a head of this and so on.
Dee Dee