Dinner tonight

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by limey, Mar 22, 2006.

  1. limey

    limey Guest

    It is darned cold here, with a cutting wind. Only one comfort food for
    weather like that, I thought, and fixed my beef stew comfort food. Roll on,
    real Spring.

    Dora

    --
    [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. On Wed 22 Mar 2006 05:29:44p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it limey?

    > It is darned cold here, with a cutting wind. Only one comfort food for
    > weather like that, I thought, and fixed my beef stew comfort food. Roll
    > on, real Spring.
    >
    > Dora

    I wish I could have a nice hearty beef stew right now. It's been unusually
    cold here in AZ, and that would really taste good. I know if I made some I
    would eat far too much for my WW allowance. :-(

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  3. MareCat

    MareCat Guest

    "limey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > It is darned cold here, with a cutting wind. Only one comfort food for
    > weather like that, I thought, and fixed my beef stew comfort food. Roll
    > on, real Spring.

    Stew sounds good!

    It was pretty cool here in the northern Houston 'burbs--high of only 60
    (record low temps this week!). Good soup weather, so dinner tonight was
    chicken corn soup with extra rivels. :)

    Mary

  4. biig

    biig Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > On Wed 22 Mar 2006 05:29:44p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it limey?
    >
    > > It is darned cold here, with a cutting wind. Only one comfort food for
    > > weather like that, I thought, and fixed my beef stew comfort food. Roll
    > > on, real Spring.
    > >
    > > Dora
    > >

    > I wish I could have a nice hearty beef stew right now. It's been unusually
    > cold here in AZ, and that would really taste good. I know if I made some I
    > would eat far too much for my WW allowance. :-(
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright o¿o

    Dinner in my house tonight will be your 9 hour oven roast of beef. I
    didn't have heavy duty foil, so three layers of regular was used. I
    hope it won't leak through. I would like to do oven baked potatoes to
    go with it, but how much time would they need at 225 deg.???
    ......Sharon
    > ____________________
    >
    > BIOYA

  5. On Thu 23 Mar 2006 07:36:48a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it biig?

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >>
    >> On Wed 22 Mar 2006 05:29:44p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it limey?
    >>
    >> > It is darned cold here, with a cutting wind. Only one comfort food
    >> > for weather like that, I thought, and fixed my beef stew comfort
    >> > food. Roll on, real Spring.
    >> >
    >> > Dora
    >> >

    >> I wish I could have a nice hearty beef stew right now. It's been
    >> unusually cold here in AZ, and that would really taste good. I know if
    >> I made some I would eat far too much for my WW allowance. :-(
    >>
    >> --
    >> Wayne Boatwright o¿o

    > Dinner in my house tonight will be your 9 hour oven roast of beef. I
    > didn't have heavy duty foil, so three layers of regular was used. I
    > hope it won't leak through. I would like to do oven baked potatoes to
    > go with it, but how much time would they need at 225 deg.???
    > .....Sharon

    I've never done them in the oven at 225 degrees, but when I do baked
    potatoes in a smoker at the same temperature, they take 3 to 3-/12 hours.
    I think that should work.

    Oh, with your foil, that should work fine, but make sure the seam side is
    up. I always put the foil-wrapped roast in a pan with sides that is just a
    bit larger than the roast. I seldom ever have a leak.

    Post back...

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  6. limey

    limey Guest

    "MareCat" wrote

    > "limey" wrote in message
    >> It is darned cold here, with a cutting wind. Only one comfort food for
    >> weather like that, I thought, and fixed my beef stew comfort food. Roll
    >> on, real Spring.

    > Stew sounds good!
    >
    > It was pretty cool here in the northern Houston 'burbs--high of only 60
    > (record low temps this week!). Good soup weather, so dinner tonight was
    > chicken corn soup with extra rivels. :)
    >
    > Mary

    Well, it was high 30's to 40 yesterday, with freezing temperatures predicted
    for last night. Brrr. That's why the stew. Crazy - a week or two back, it
    hit the low 80's - Spring flowers poked through, forsythia got forced,
    lilacs budded and the birds went nuts. However, reality struck.

    Dora

  7. biig

    biig Guest

    > > Dinner in my house tonight will be your 9 hour oven roast of beef. I
    > > didn't have heavy duty foil, so three layers of regular was used. I
    > > hope it won't leak through. I would like to do oven baked potatoes to
    > > go with it, but how much time would they need at 225 deg.???
    > > .....Sharon

    > I've never done them in the oven at 225 degrees, but when I do baked
    > potatoes in a smoker at the same temperature, they take 3 to 3-/12 hours.
    > I think that should work.
    >
    > Oh, with your foil, that should work fine, but make sure the seam side is
    > up. I always put the foil-wrapped roast in a pan with sides that is just a
    > bit larger than the roast. I seldom ever have a leak.
    >
    > Post back...
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright o¿o

    I do have it in a pan with sides and it does look like some juices
    have dribbled through (a bit). It smells amazing already. I'll try
    putting some russets in 3 hours before the roast will be ready. I can
    always finish them in the mw, I guess. I wish I had some asparagus, but
    it wasn't a good deal last grocery day. I may do some br. sprouts
    instead. I'll keep you posted. .....Sharon
    > ____________________
    >
    > BIOYA

  8. On Thu 23 Mar 2006 09:07:37a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it biig?

    >> > Dinner in my house tonight will be your 9 hour oven roast of beef.
    >> > didn't have heavy duty foil, so three layers of regular was used. I
    >> > hope it won't leak through. I would like to do oven baked potatoes
    >> > to go with it, but how much time would they need at 225 deg.???
    >> > .....Sharon

    >> I've never done them in the oven at 225 degrees, but when I do baked
    >> potatoes in a smoker at the same temperature, they take 3 to 3-/12
    >> hours. I think that should work.
    >>
    >> Oh, with your foil, that should work fine, but make sure the seam side
    >> is up. I always put the foil-wrapped roast in a pan with sides that is
    >> just a bit larger than the roast. I seldom ever have a leak.
    >>
    >> Post back...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Wayne Boatwright o¿o

    > I do have it in a pan with sides and it does look like some juices
    > have dribbled through (a bit). It smells amazing already. I'll try
    > putting some russets in 3 hours before the roast will be ready. I can
    > always finish them in the mw, I guess. I wish I had some asparagus, but
    > it wasn't a good deal last grocery day. I may do some br. sprouts
    > instead. I'll keep you posted. .....Sharon

    A little bit of juices coming out won't hurt. I'm still searching for more
    99¢ asparagus. I've probably eaten 10 pounds of it in the last month. :)
    Sprouts sound good. I love them. I'll look for your report.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o

    BIOYA