Dinner with Rona + request

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Melba'S Jammin, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. Rona Yuthasastrakosol and her mom are in town on business. We hooked up for dinner last night at the
    Mediterranean Cruise Café in nearby Eagan. The company was, as always, wonderful! Rona is about the
    most cheerful person I've ever met and there's nothing phony about it (or her). She brought me sweet
    treats from Canada. Yeay! Clodhoppers!

    In thinking about it, the meal was mediocre -- the appetizer plate had Hummos and eggplant dips,
    Falafil, fried vegetables, Tabouli. Pureed eggplant with Tahini Sauce, garlic and parsley. Most of
    it was pretty tasteless -- Rona's mom and I agreed that there were no special flavors jumping out at
    us. The flat bread accompanying the plate was hot -- steamed perhaps. The hummus was very creamy and
    had a note of peanut butter in the flavor. We didn't ask if it contained peanut butter. Here's their
    website: <http://www.medcruisecafe.com/>

    I had shish kabob -- but it wasn't served on a skewer. :-( And the lamb was overcooked.

    The best part of the meal was a garlic dip. Out of this world! The consistency was almost like
    whipped butter. We inquired about ingredients and the waiter said it was garlic and lemon juice
    only. Hard to believe. He called it "tomeh" or something similar. We think it maybe is a Palestinian
    thing but aren't sure. Anyone here ever hear of it or have any particulars on how to make it? It had
    a stronger lemon flavor than garlic -- until I got home. :)

    The evening ended at 10:30 and I came home. Woke up this morning to about 7 inches of snow on the
    driveway. I've just posted a couple pictures on my webpage.

    Garlic dip, anyone?
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

    Tags:

  2. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    > The evening ended at 10:30 and I came home. Woke up this morning to about 7 inches of snow on the
    > driveway. I've just posted a couple pictures on my webpage.
    >
    > Garlic dip, anyone?

    Sounds like you had a great time in spite of the ordinary food. Except the garlic dip. Was the
    garlic roasted or maybe sauteed in some type of fat? The way you described it sounded almost like
    whipped cream cheese.

    It was 60 here today. I am dying to get out in the yard but I'm not allowed to do any of it yet. The
    area where the tree was taken down is a mess and I've got stuff sprouting up all over the place. I
    need a yard boy this year. Someone that knows a weed from a legitimate plant. The SO sure as hell
    can't do it. If my lawn and gardens have to suffer yet another year of neglect I'm going to turn
    into an evil, nasty bitch.

    Michael <- watching the cilantro and oregano sprout up

    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Dog3
    <[email protected];not> wrote:

    > Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> deliciously
    > posted in news:barbschaller-
    > [email protected]:
    >

    > > The evening ended at 10:30 and I came home. Woke up this
    > > morning to about 7 inches of snow on the driveway. I've
    > > just posted a couple pictures on my webpage.
    > >
    > > Garlic dip, anyone?
    >
    > Sounds like you had a great time in spite of the ordinary
    > food. Except the garlic dip. Was the garlic roasted or
    > maybe sauteed in some type of fat?

    I don't think so. Waiter said it was not cooked. And it was
    pure white.

    > The way you described it sounded almost like whipped
    > cream cheese.

    That, too. Lord, it was good! My nail tech says they sell it
    at the Renaissance Festival in August; she'll get some for
    me. I'm just curious about how it's made.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-5-04.
    Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got

  4. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 09:43:50 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The best part of the meal was a garlic dip. Out of this
    >world! The consistency was almost like whipped butter. We
    >inquired about ingredients and the waiter said it was
    >garlic and lemon juice only. Hard to believe. He called it
    >"tomeh" or something similar. We think it maybe is a
    >Palestinian thing but aren't sure. Anyone here ever hear of
    >it or have any particulars on how to make it? It had a
    >stronger lemon flavor than garlic -- until I got home. :)

    Might it have had pureed (boiled) potatoes in it?
    There's a Greek
    dip/spread (Skordalia) that has garlic, lemon juice, and
    potatoes (some versions also have bread, parsley,
    nuts, etc).

    Call the restaurant and ask, if not for the recipe, at least
    for the proper name (spelled out!).

  5. "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Rona Yuthasastrakosol and her mom are in town on business.
    > We hooked up for dinner last night at the Mediterranean
    > Cruise Café in nearby Eagan. The company was, as always,
    > wonderful! Rona is about the most cheerful person I've
    > ever met and there's nothing phony about it (or her).

    (laugh) Are you sure you were having dinner with me and not
    some imposter? I'm not going to tell my mother what you said
    or she'll write you with the truth :).

    >She brought me sweet treats from Canada. Yeay! Clodhoppers!

    I have a recipe for them if you want it! I've been told
    they're pretty easy to make (though I've not yet tried).

    > In thinking about it, the meal was mediocre -- the
    > appetizer plate had Hummos and eggplant dips, Falafil,
    > fried vegetables, Tabouli. Pureed eggplant with Tahini
    > Sauce, garlic and parsley. Most of it was pretty tasteless
    > -- Rona's mom and I agreed that there were no special
    > flavors jumping out at us. The flat bread accompanying the
    > plate was hot -- steamed perhaps. The hummus was very
    > creamy and had a note of peanut butter in the flavor. We
    > didn't ask if it contained peanut butter. Here's their
    > website: <http://www.medcruisecafe.com/>

    I agree. While not bad, the food was not outstanding. Da
    Afghan was much better. I did like the nuttiness of the
    hummus, though. It was far better than any of the hummus
    I've had in Winnipeg!

    > I had shish kabob -- but it wasn't served on a skewer. :-(
    > And the lamb was overcooked.

    My chicken was overcooked, too! Quite dry, it was, but at
    least I got a skewer.

    > The best part of the meal was a garlic dip. Out of this
    > world! The consistency was almost like whipped butter. We
    > inquired about ingredients and the waiter said it was
    > garlic and lemon juice only. Hard to believe. He called it
    > "tomeh" or something similar. We think it maybe is a
    > Palestinian thing but aren't sure. Anyone here ever hear
    > of it or have any particulars on how to make it? It had a
    > stronger lemon flavor than garlic -- until I got home. :)

    Near the end of the meal I could taste the garlic a little
    but during the drive to the hotel, I could really taste it!
    I'm sure our hotel room reeked of garlic the next morning.
    That's why we left housekeeping a big tip :).

    > The evening ended at 10:30 and I came home. Woke up this
    > morning to about 7 inches of snow on the driveway. I've
    > just posted a couple pictures on my webpage.

    We gave up on Al's Friday morning because of the snow. I'm
    not a bad snow driver, but I don't know how good I would
    have been on those fast roads of yours. And boy, those MSP
    drivers are not very courteous!

    > Garlic dip, anyone?

    We bought two containers of garlip dip from Holy Land. The
    ingredients are garlic, olive oil, and lemon (in that
    order). I haven't tried it but will let you know if it's the
    same. I haven't been able to find any recipes on the Internet--
    most call for much too little garlic and too much olive oil.
    Once I get settled in Japan, I hope to do some
    experimenting!

    We made the trip back in a record (for me) 6.75 hours! Just
    before we got to Moorehead we started to see more snow and
    ice on the roads. My car almost slid off the road but I
    managed to maintain control. Just after that I watched in my
    rearview mirror as a car, not 50 metres behind me. slid and
    ended up in the ditch facing the opposite direction. I think
    s/he must have stepped on the brakes! Then we saw several
    more cars in ditches, including one that had landed on its
    roof! It was not a good driving day for them but luckily,
    the icy roads only lasted a mile or two.

    Thanks for all the treats! The front desk lady laughed at my
    expression as she lifted a big heavy bag in front of me (I
    had thought the package was going to be something from the
    school). As I opened the bag, I laughed too! Some of the
    jams are coming with me to Japan if I can get my mother to
    give them up! And the book will accompany me on the plane!

    And where are the newest pictures of Sam?

    rona
    --
    ***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the
    inconvenience!***

  6. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    "Rona Yuthasastrakosol" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I agree. While not bad, the food was not outstanding. Da
    > Afghan was much better. I did like the nuttiness of the
    > hummus, though. It was far better than any of the hummus
    > I've had in Winnipeg!

    The hummus at the greek market is fairly good.

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
    nothing but food and water.

  7. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    "Rona Yuthasastrakosol" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > And where are the newest pictures of Sam?

    You want a pic of my granddaughter ? E-mail me if you do...

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
    nothing but food and water.
    --------
    FIELDS, W. C.

  8. In article <[email protected]>, Frogleg
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 09:43:50 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >The best part of the meal was a garlic dip. Out of this
    > >world! The consistency was almost like whipped butter.
    > >We inquired about ingredients and the waiter said it
    > >was garlic and lemon juice only. Hard to believe. He
    > >called it "tomeh" or something similar. We think it
    > >maybe is a Palestinian thing but aren't sure. Anyone
    > >here ever hear of it or have any particulars on how to
    > >make it? It had a stronger lemon flavor than garlic --
    > >until I got home. :)
    >
    > Might it have had pureed (boiled) potatoes in it?
    > There's a Greek
    > dip/spread (Skordalia) that has garlic, lemon juice, and
    > potatoes (some versions also have bread, parsley,
    > nuts, etc).

    Waiter swore it was garlic and lemon only. We asked about
    Skordalia. Not.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-8-04.
    Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
    the button to prove it!) "Always in a jam, never in a stew;
    sometimes in a pickle."

  9. In article <[email protected]>, "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Thanks for all the treats! The front desk lady laughed at
    > my expression as she lifted a big heavy bag in front of me
    > (I had thought the package was going to be something from
    > the school). As I opened the bag, I laughed too! Some of
    > the jams are coming with me to Japan if I can get my
    > mother to give them up! And the book will accompany me on
    > the plane!
    >
    > And where are the newest pictures of Sam?
    >
    > rona

    Ahem. I don't want to break your heart, Sweetie, but the
    jams in the box were, um, for your mom---she'd mentioned
    wishing she had some for gifts, remember? But, hey, I'm not
    there and you are. :) I had a nice chat with your mom about
    all the treasures I presented -- when I dropped it off, I
    had quite a chat with the hotel staff (isn't THAT a
    surprise?) and said they could dig through it, but they'd
    better leave at least half for your mom. :)

    Sam pix? They're up. :) "Grrr! Come p'ay 'egos me!"
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-8-04.
    Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
    the button to prove it!) "Always in a jam, never in a stew;
    sometimes in a pickle."

  10. "hahabogus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > The hummus at the greek market is fairly good.

    It's too thick, imo. I haven't had it recently, though, so
    maybe I'd like it more now.

    And I'd love to see pictures of your granddaughter! You can
    use any one of my addresses except the mts.net one (I never,
    ever check it).

    rona

    --
    ***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the
    inconvenience!***

  11. "hahabogus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > The hummus at the greek market is fairly good.

    It's too thick, imo. I haven't had it recently, though, so
    maybe I'd like it more now.

    And I'd love to see pictures of your granddaughter! You can
    use any one of my addresses except the mts.net one (I never,
    ever check it).

    rona

    --
    ***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the
    inconvenience!***

  12. "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Ahem. I don't want to break your heart, Sweetie, but the
    > jams in the box were, um, for your mom---she'd mentioned
    > wishing she had some for gifts, remember? But, hey, I'm
    > not there and you are. :) I had a nice chat with your mom
    > about all the treasures I presented -- when I dropped it
    > off, I had quite a chat with the hotel staff (isn't THAT a
    > surprise?) and said they could dig through it, but they'd
    > better leave at least half for your mom. :)
    >
    > Sam pix? They're up. :) "Grrr! Come p'ay 'egos me!"

    I know...but did you really think she'd give them away :)?
    As soon as she saw them she said, "Oh good, now I have more
    jam to eat" or something like that. The thought of giving
    them as gifts never even crossed her mind! She said I could
    have one of the extra strawberry jams and she might even
    give me more than one. I'll ask her for it just before I leave--
    she won't be able to refuse me then!

    Sam is still as cute as ever!

    rona