Dippin Dots

Goomba38

Guest
Just tried the "dot" ice cream for the first time.

Why? What is the attraction?

Oh! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOve
"Dippin' Dots".

My favorite is mint & chocolate. They're little balls of ice cream
frozen very very cold and you can pour them like BBs from a scoop.

We can only get them as "street food" here. The will not keep in a
regular home freezer, but require some kind of special freezer - I
THINK it works with liquid nitrogen or something.

Love these puppies for how they "burn" when they melt on your tongue.
If you have crowns or other "hardware" in your mouth be careful -
also, talk about "freeze brain"!

Lynn from Fargo

Goomba38 wrote:

> Just tried the "dot" ice cream for the first time.
>
> Why? What is the attraction?

It's the Ice Cream of the Future! Sez so right on it.

Brian

won't shut up.

Goomba38 wrote:
> Just tried the "dot" ice cream for the first time.
>
> Why? What is the attraction?

Novelty, something different. When you buy it at a Dippin Dots stand
in places like malls or theme parks, you can make your own flavor
combinations

SD

Lynn from Fargo wrote:

> Love these puppies for how they "burn" when they melt on your tongue.
> If you have crowns or other "hardware" in your mouth be careful -
> also, talk about "freeze brain"!

Ohhhhhhh yeah.. discovered that! OUCH.

Goomba38 wrote:
> Just tried the "dot" ice cream for the first time.
>
> Why? What is the attraction?

I've oftened wondered the same thing about those "Swoops".

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 17:44:05 -0500, Goomba38 <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Just tried the "dot" ice cream for the first time.
>
>Why? What is the attraction?

I'm with you. It's just *weird*.

serene

Check out http://www.dippendots.com for more information here is a tid
bit from there home order form......

THE PROPER SERVING TEMPERATURE CANNOT BE MAINTAINED IF REMOVED FROM THE
CARTON AND PLACED IN YOUR HOME FREEZER. YOUR ICE CREAM WILL REMAIN
FROZEN AS LONG AS: a) there is adequate dry ice inside the box
(approximately 24 hours after arrival), b) dry ice is kept on top of
the ice cream and, c) the container is kept in an environment of 70°F
or below. Dry ice will dissipate when exposed to air. For your safety
do not remove dry ice from shipping bag.

[email protected] wrote:
For your safety
> do not remove dry ice from shipping bag.

I dropped dry ice in the toilet once to see what would happen.
aw college youth...such memories you gave me
--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

Goomba38 sez:

> Just tried the "dot" ice cream for the first time.
>
> Why? What is the attraction?

My question's more basic: What's "dot" ice cream??

Perhaps I don't get out enough . . .

Spitz
--
"Home, James, and don't spare the horses!"

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 00:50:29 GMT, The Bubbo <[email protected]>
wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
> For your safety
>> do not remove dry ice from shipping bag.
>>

>I dropped dry ice in the toilet once to see what would happen.
>aw college youth...such memories you gave me

And what happened? Inquiring minds would like to know... or were you
so inebriated that you can't remember? :p

--
~Karen aka Kajikit
Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life

On 25 Jan 2006 14:55:50 -0800, "Lynn from Fargo" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Oh! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOve
>"Dippin' Dots".
>
>My favorite is mint & chocolate. They're little balls of ice cream
>frozen very very cold and you can pour them like BBs from a scoop.
>
>We can only get them as "street food" here. The will not keep in a
>regular home freezer, but require some kind of special freezer - I
>THINK it works with liquid nitrogen or something.
>
>Love these puppies for how they "burn" when they melt on your tongue.
>If you have crowns or other "hardware" in your mouth be careful -
>also, talk about "freeze brain"!
>
>Lynn from Fargo

Can't say that sounds very appealing to me... I've got very sensitive
front teeth and regular icecream is hard on them! I've never seen them
in Florida, only on the Food Channel.

--

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 00:50:29 GMT, The Bubbo <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>[email protected] wrote:
>> For your safety
>>> do not remove dry ice from shipping bag.
>>>

>>I dropped dry ice in the toilet once to see what would happen.
>>aw college youth...such memories you gave me

> And what happened? Inquiring minds would like to know... or were you
> so inebriated that you can't remember? :p

it mostly just bubbled a lot but it filled the bathroom floor with cool dry
ice fog. I won the chance to pee in the 'ghost toilet'.

--

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

> Can't say that sounds very appealing to me... I've got very sensitive
> front teeth and regular icecream is hard on them! I've never seen them
> in Florida, only on the Food Channel.

I had them at Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa and at Typhoon Lagoon at Disney
World.

SD

In article <[email protected]>,
Spitzmaus <[email protected]> wrote:

>My question's more basic: What's "dot" ice cream??

Ice cream that is made by dripping ice cream mix into liquid
nitrogen. The drops freeze into hard little pellets of ice
cream. It is kept very cold (dry ice temperature) so it can
be scooped out of the tub like little hard candies.

--
Tagon: "Where's your sense of adventure?" | Mike Van Pelt
Kevyn: "It died under mysterious circumstances. | mvp at calweb.com
My sense of self-preservation found the body, | KE6BVH
but assures me it has an airtight alibi." (schlockmercenary.com)

When I went to Busch in Tampa this year I got very sick from the heat
around midday. Dippin Dots were the only thing i could keep down for
hours, probably because they were so nice and cool. I ate far too much
icecream that day :)

I tried the "dots" at a small ice cream store in the Chicago 'burbs. Except
for being dramatically overpriced, I don't get the attraction.

I have tried dots and they have tried me.

"pgluth1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I tried the "dots" at a small ice cream store in the Chicago 'burbs. Except
> for being dramatically overpriced, I don't get the attraction.
>
> I have tried dots and they have tried me.

They're disgusting, but they hold a powerful attraction for a certain type
of customer. Next time you see them being sold at an outdoor carnival, watch
for a while. It's usually children (who'll eat anything sweet), and some
adults who need more calories like they need another hole in their heads.

However, the invention of the product is interesting:

The Dippin' Dots® Story.

The Dippin' Dots® story brings together science, invention, entertainment,
entrepreneurial spirit, and persistence.

Microbiologist Curt Jones first pursued the concept of ice cream innovation
in 1987. Curt's knowledge of cryogenic freezing methods led him to thoughts
of creating an ice cream treat consumers would value as unusually fresh and
flavorful. Experiments with cryogenically freezing an ice cream mix made
from an old family recipe led to the flash-freezing of the very first tiny
beads of ice cream. Curt's theory proved to be true.flash-freezing does make
richer, fresher tasting ice cream. Plus, because of the small round shape of
the beads his little 'dots' were irresistibly fun to eat!

Dippin' Dots growth is best charted through its success in various markets.
In the late 80's and early 90's, the Dippin' Dots dealer network began. At
the same time, various theme and amusement parks began to discover their
customers' love for the exciting new ice cream. In 1995, Dippin' Dots were
first introduced to an international market, making their debut in Japan.

Today, our dealer network is an award-winning Franchise System with hundreds
of locations coast-to-coast. Our locations in theme parks, water parks,
stadiums, arenas and movie theatres now number in the thousands. And, to
meet the growing demands of international customers, Dippin' Dots Global was
formed in 2004 to coordinate our international business opportunities.

"Your excitement excites us!" is perhaps the most famous quote by Dippin'
Dots inventor and company founder Curt Jones. Dippin' Dots fans constantly
share their excitement about flavors and the surprising texture of our
little beads of ice cream. Our corporate customers enjoy telling us how
Dippin' Dots has become a favorite in their mall or park. Developing new
flavors, maintaining high standards of quality, and delivering top-notch
customer service are just a few of the ways we strive to maintain that level
of excitement. We are proud to be innovators in the ice cream industry and
to say there is only one Ice Cream of the Future.Dippin' Dots! Dippin'
Dots Company Timeline

1988 Dippin' Dots established as a company in Grand Chain, Illinois.

1989 Opryland U.S.A. in Nashville, Tenn., is the company's first
amusement park account.

1990 Production moves from founder Curt Jones' garage to a former
liquor store in Paducah, KY.

1991 Dealer network established for fair, festival and commercial
retail locations

1994 Curt Jones named an Ernst & Young "Entrepreneur of the Year"
finalist

1995 Company takes on its first international licensee, in Japan.

1995 New 32,000 sq. ft. production facility opens in Paducah

1996 Dippin' Dots places 171st on Inc. Magazine's "Inc. 500" list of
fastest growing privately held companies.

1997 Dippin' Dots receives World Trade Success Award from Kentucky
World Trade Center

1997 Dippin' Dots places 331st on Inc. Magazine's "Inc. 500" list of
fastest growing privately held companies.

1997 Production facility expands by 20,000 sq. ft

2000 Dippin' Dots Franchising, Inc. established, first franchise
offered.

2002 Dippin' Dots became a regular menu offering for McDonald's
restaurants in San Francisco Bay area in California

2002 Triple honors from Entrepreneur magazine: 112th spot on the
"Franchise 500" list, 69th "Fastest Growing" franchise company and No. 1
"New Franchise Co

2003 Manufacturing plant opens in South Korea, operated by a licensee,
to serve markets in Asia and eventually Australia.

2003 Company constructs largest -50°F walk-in freezer in North America
at its Kentucky facility.

2003 Dippin' Dots Franchising, Inc. Achieves 144th spot on the
Entrepreneur "Franchise 500," and No. 4 on its Top 50 New Franchise
Companies list.

2004 Dippin' Dots Franchising, Inc. Achieves 112th spot on the
Entrepreneur "Franchise 500," and No. 4 (again) on its Top 50 New Franchise
Companies list.

2004 Dippin' Dots Global, Inc., formed to coordinate international
business activities.

2005 The International Dairy Foods Association names Dippin' Dots Best
In Show for Dot Delicacies. Dippin' Dots also wins three awards for package
design.

2005 Dippin' Dots Franchising, Inc. ranks No. 1 on Franchise Times
Magazine's Fast 55 list of the fastest growing young franchises in the
nation.

Mike Van Pelt sez:

> >My question's more basic: What's "dot" ice cream??

> Ice cream that is made by dripping ice cream mix into liquid
> nitrogen. The drops freeze into hard little pellets of ice
> cream. It is kept very cold (dry ice temperature) so it can
> be scooped out of the tub like little hard candies.
>
> --
> Tagon: "Where's your sense of adventure?" | Mike Van Pelt
> Kevyn: "It died under mysterious circumstances. | mvp at calweb.com
> My sense of self-preservation found the body, | KE6BVH
> but assures me it has an airtight alibi." (schlockmercenary.com)

Thanks for the information. Doesn't sound like something I'd like, but then
your sig *does* exhort one to be adventurous, does it no??!? So where would
I find these "dots"?

Spitz, looking for adventure
--
"Home, James, and don't spare the horses!"