Dippin Dots

In article <[email protected]>,
Spitzmaus <[email protected]> wrote:
>Mike Van Pelt sez:
>
>> >My question's more basic: What's "dot" ice cream??

>> Ice cream that is made by dripping ice cream mix into liquid
>> nitrogen. The drops freeze into hard little pellets of ice
>> cream. It is kept very cold (dry ice temperature) so it can
>> be scooped out of the tub like little hard candies.

>So where would I find these "dots"?

It's generally in little stands at tourist-trap sorts of places.
Sometimes in malls. For a while, the McDonalds in the Great Mall
in Milpitas, CA, had them, but I don't know if they still do.

The liquid nitrogen method of making ice cream makes, IMHO,
*really good* ice cream. It freezes so fast the ice crystals
are very small. Dippin' Dots, once they've warmed up enough
that you can taste the ice cream, are pretty good. When you
first put them in your mouth, though, they have all the flavor
of ice-cold plastic beads.

I prefer the "Mad Scientist Act" method -- bowl of your best
ice cream mix, chilled, stir furiously while Igor pours an
equal volume of liquid nitrogen into the mix. When the fog
clears, you've got a bowl of great ice cream.

(Protective clothing for the stirrer is mandatory unless you
think of frostbite as a Good Time.)

--
Tagon: "Where's your sense of adventure?" | Mike Van Pelt
Kevyn: "It died under mysterious circumstances. | mvp at calweb.com
My sense of self-preservation found the body, | KE6BVH
but assures me it has an airtight alibi." (schlockmercenary.com)

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 12:45:50 -0800, "Spitzmaus"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Van Pelt sez:
>
>> >My question's more basic: What's "dot" ice cream??

>> Ice cream that is made by dripping ice cream mix into liquid
>> nitrogen. The drops freeze into hard little pellets of ice
>> cream. It is kept very cold (dry ice temperature) so it can
>> be scooped out of the tub like little hard candies.
>>
>> --
>> Tagon: "Where's your sense of adventure?" | Mike Van Pelt
>> Kevyn: "It died under mysterious circumstances. | mvp at calweb.com
>> My sense of self-preservation found the body, | KE6BVH
>> but assures me it has an airtight alibi." (schlockmercenary.com)

>Thanks for the information. Doesn't sound like something I'd like, but then
>your sig *does* exhort one to be adventurous, does it no??!? So where would
>I find these "dots"?
>
>Spitz, looking for adventure

Here in Oregon, McDonalds has them...I don't like McDonalds, but after
seeing Dipping dots on there window was suckered in one day...I tasted
it, didn't appeal to me...DH shared it with they dogs...they liked it!
Sue D.

"Sue D." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 12:45:50 -0800, "Spitzmaus"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Mike Van Pelt sez:

>>> Ice cream that is made by dripping ice cream mix into liquid
>>> nitrogen. The drops freeze into hard little pellets of ice
>>> cream. It is kept very cold (dry ice temperature) so it can
>>> be scooped out of the tub like little hard candies.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tagon: "Where's your sense of adventure?" | Mike Van Pelt
>>> Kevyn: "It died under mysterious circumstances. | mvp at calweb.com
>>> My sense of self-preservation found the body, | KE6BVH
>>> but assures me it has an airtight alibi." (schlockmercenary.com)

>>Thanks for the information. Doesn't sound like something I'd like, but
>>then
>>your sig *does* exhort one to be adventurous, does it no??!? So where
>>would
>>I find these "dots"?
>>
>>Spitz, looking for adventure

> Here in Oregon, McDonalds has them...I don't like McDonalds, but after
> seeing Dipping dots on there window was suckered in one day...I tasted
> it, didn't appeal to me...DH shared it with they dogs...they liked it!
> Sue D.

Well....dogs.....no more needs to be said. Evolutionary mistakes.

"Spitzmaus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Thanks for the information. Doesn't sound like something I'd like, but
> then
> your sig *does* exhort one to be adventurous, does it no??!? So where
> would
> I find these "dots"?

Kiosks in malls, at the zoo, and at other "attractions" (theme parks,
museums, etc.).

At least that's where I've seen Dippin' Dots here in the Houston area.

Mary

Mike Van Pelt sez:

> It's generally in little stands at tourist-trap sorts of places.
> Sometimes in malls. For a while, the McDonalds in the Great Mall
> in Milpitas, CA, had them, but I don't know if they still do.
>
> The liquid nitrogen method of making ice cream makes, IMHO,
> *really good* ice cream. It freezes so fast the ice crystals
> are very small. Dippin' Dots, once they've warmed up enough
> that you can taste the ice cream, are pretty good. When you
> first put them in your mouth, though, they have all the flavor
> of ice-cold plastic beads.
>
> I prefer the "Mad Scientist Act" method -- bowl of your best
> ice cream mix, chilled, stir furiously while Igor pours an
> equal volume of liquid nitrogen into the mix. When the fog
> clears, you've got a bowl of great ice cream.
>
> (Protective clothing for the stirrer is mandatory unless you
> think of frostbite as a Good Time.)

No thanks, I'll pass on frostbite. And I tend to stay away from malls,
tourist-traps, fast food joints -- the types of places it seems I'd have to
go to try the Dippin' Dots. Guess I'll be passing on that experience as
well.

I'm a sucker for Mad Scientists, however! Do you really have an Igor at
your beck and call??!?

Spitz
--
"Home, James, and don't spare the horses!"

Spitzmaus wrote:

> Mike Van Pelt sez:
>
> <snip>

> > I prefer the "Mad Scientist Act" method -- bowl of your best
> > ice cream mix, chilled, stir furiously while Igor pours an
> > equal volume of liquid nitrogen into the mix. When the fog
> > clears, you've got a bowl of great ice cream.
> >
> > (Protective clothing for the stirrer is mandatory unless you
> > think of frostbite as a Good Time.)

> No thanks, I'll pass on frostbite. And I tend to stay away from malls,
> tourist-traps, fast food joints -- the types of places it seems I'd have to
> go to try the Dippin' Dots. Guess I'll be passing on that experience as
> well.
>
> I'm a sucker for Mad Scientists, however! Do you really have an Igor at
> your beck and call??!?
>
> Spitz

LOL Doethn't everyone?

Spitzmaus wrote:

> Mike Van Pelt sez:
>
> <snip>

> > I prefer the "Mad Scientist Act" method -- bowl of your best
> > ice cream mix, chilled, stir furiously while Igor pours an
> > equal volume of liquid nitrogen into the mix. When the fog
> > clears, you've got a bowl of great ice cream.
> >
> > (Protective clothing for the stirrer is mandatory unless you
> > think of frostbite as a Good Time.)

> No thanks, I'll pass on frostbite. And I tend to stay away from malls,
> tourist-traps, fast food joints -- the types of places it seems I'd have to
> go to try the Dippin' Dots. Guess I'll be passing on that experience as
> well.
>
> I'm a sucker for Mad Scientists, however! Do you really have an Igor at
> your beck and call??!?
>
> Spitz

LOL Doethn't everyone?

Arri London sez:

> LOL Doethn't everyone?

Hah! Don't I wish??!? My last assistant, Torgo, left in a huff when I bade
him once too often to peel the fava beans.

Spitz