Dirt jumping

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Super Otaku, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Super Otaku

Super Otaku New Member

I was looking at pictures of people jumping through dirt ramps(the ones that gives you an 18-foot jumps). Then suddenly I got interested on that.
    So is there anyone who could tell me where can I get started (something like what kind of or how tall the ramp I should start with)?

Tags:

2. Ghr7891

Ghr7891 New Member

I have built many ramps for skiis and I would immagine you could buid one of these in the same way. Take logs and stick and build a foundation make it sturdy and in the general hape of the jump. Then make mud using dirt and a hose (I use snow in the winter) and shovel it onto the jump. Fill in all the cracks and finish the shape of the ramp, make the mud layer really thick. Now wait a couple of hot dry days and the mud will bake and you will have a jump. Just dont ride it after rain.:)

3. Super Otaku

Super Otaku New Member

Thank you so much for the suggestion, but I just can't find some space around my neighbourhood to build one.......:(

4. umberto

umberto New Member

that sucks, maybe u could make a wooden dirt jump, lol just try to build a big ol' ramp that you could drag onto the street every now and then. dont ask me how though

5. i luv dirt

i luv dirt New Member

if you want to build a dirt jump I would sugest you start small. I would start with a single jump maby 1 foot tall and 3feet long wiht a little transition and no landing. after you jump that till its silly add a landing. 'bout a foot tall 3 long and flat. make sure that you can clear the gap. when you have your double, slowly make it bigger. widen the gap, then add some hight to the ramps. work on one jump at first before you start a rythym section. Timing on a rythym is very important. right now I have a five set 8 paces top of landing to top of the next lip. aprox 8 foot gaps. don't start with grand plans and its best to keep it out of sight.

6. jdoglike

jdoglike New Member

I have the same problem with not having a good place for a dirt jump but would like to jump more. any suggestions on what to do would be great.

7. sstaurus

sstaurus New Member

Same here. There's a place in the woods near here that has some nice jumps, but they're all huge. I need something small to start on... I've just been looking for drops and stuff to begin with.

Or are you just looking to build your own?