Dirty chain? No excuses.

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by John Henderson, Feb 10, 2006.

  1. A few years ago, I bought an ultrasonic cleaner, primarily to
    clean my chains and other small parts with inaccessible nooks
    and cranies. It really does a spectacularly good job.

    They work by cavitation (the violent collapse of tiny bubbles),
    with the chain immersed in a suitable liquid (mineral turps, or
    water with a drop of detergent works fine).

    Mine cost $99 from Jaycar from memory. This morning, I noticed
    that Aldi supermarkets have them for $39.99. Knowing Aldi,
    they won't be available for long.

    John

    Tags:

  2. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    Would that mean breaking my MTB chain to clean it after every ride?

  3. On 2006-02-11, Marx SS wrote:
    > Would that mean breaking my MTB chain to clean it after every ride?

    Yes. Get a Wipperman link or similar. Means you don't have to fix a new
    pin every time.

  4. Marx SS wrote:

    > Would that mean breaking my MTB chain to clean it after every
    > ride?

    That sounds too hard. I have two or three chains 'on the go' at
    any one time. When one starts to be noisy, I take it off and
    install one of the others. The dirty one gets checked for wear
    (length measurement), a thorough clean, a relube with oil, and
    is wrapped in a piece of clean old rag until its time comes
    around again (soaks up excess oil). I use reusable links.
    I've got three different widths (black, silver and gold
    colour-coded) for the different bikes in the family. I use a
    new link when I fit a new chain.

    For more frequent cleaning, I just wipe the chain off with a
    rag.

    John

  5. Jono L

    Jono L Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2005
    Messages:
    4,434
    now that is being organised!

    If only i wasn't sooo lazy...

  6. Damian

    Damian Guest

    > This morning, I noticed
    > that Aldi supermarkets have them for $39.99. Knowing Aldi,
    > they won't be available for long.

    Thanks for the heads up. I got the last one at Marrickville in Sydney
    today, brought it home and realised how great it is on all my
    girlfriend's jewelery. Now I'm going to have to go find another one for
    the dirty bike stuff :)

  7. JayWoo

    JayWoo New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2004
    Heh?! And this is easier?

    Jay "1chain&chainbath" Woo

  8. JayWoo wrote:

    > Heh?! And this is easier?

    It sure is. With 5 bikes to maintain, I need to be a little
    organised though.

    John

  9. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    John Henderson wrote:
    > JayWoo wrote:
    >
    > > Heh?! And this is easier?

    > It sure is. With 5 bikes to maintain, I need to be a little
    > organised though.

    Do you have time to actually ride these bikes, between cleaning them?

  10. Bleve wrote:

    > Do you have time to actually ride these bikes, between
    > cleaning them?

    Absolutely - I'm retired :)

    It's servicing the kids cars that takes more time (and money).

    John

  11. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    Bah, too much hard work.

    I just take it off after 4,000 clicks and chuck another one on.

    Its only going to get dirty again isnt it!! ;)

  12. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    John Henderson wrote:
    > Bleve wrote:
    >
    > > Do you have time to actually ride these bikes, between
    > > cleaning them?

    > Absolutely - I'm retired :)

    "no excuses" is a little disingenious then, eh? :)

  13. dtmeister

    dtmeister Guest

    byron27 <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Bah, too much hard work.
    >
    > I just take it off after 4,000 clicks and chuck another one on.
    >
    > Its only going to get dirty again isnt it!! ;)

    :) Me too. I do give it the odd wipe when it's looking bad, and keep it
    suitably lubricated. The wiping bit is probably pointless, but it makes
    me feel a bit better..

    --
    ..dt

  14. dtmeister wrote:

    > I do give it the odd wipe when it's looking bad,
    > :and keep it suitably lubricated. The wiping bit is probably
    > pointless, but it makes me feel a bit better..

    My understanding is that lubricating it when it's dirty helps
    work the dirt into the pins and rollers where it accelerates
    wear. That's why I clean mine before relubricating.

    This becomes obvious with a single-speed. You need to keep the
    chain adjusted on these, and the time between adjustments gets
    short if you lube without cleaning first.

    John

  15. Graeme Dods

    Graeme Dods Guest

    On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:24:26 +1100, byron27 wrote:

    > Its only going to get dirty again isnt it!! ;)

    Exactly the principle I work on! My wife warned our 2 year old son not to
    touch our car when I headed of to work this morning as "You might rub off
    some of the dirt before daddy washes it next Christmas." Cheeky cow :)

    Graeme

  16. mkli

    mkli Guest

    John Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:
    > My understanding is that lubricating it when it's dirty helps
    > work the dirt into the pins and rollers where it accelerates
    > wear. That's why I clean mine before relubricating.
    >
    > This becomes obvious with a single-speed. You need to keep the
    > chain adjusted on these, and the time between adjustments gets
    > short if you lube without cleaning first.

    Chain-lube-technique-flame-war!

  17. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    I thoroughly wipe mine down with a rag before applying new lube, leave it for five minutes (or overnight if I remember) and then thoroughly wipe it down again. Seems to work OK, I get 8-10k out of a chain.

  18. EuanB wrote:

    > I thoroughly wipe mine down with a rag before applying new
    > lube, leave it for five minutes (or overnight if I remember)
    > and then thoroughly wipe it down again. Seems to work OK, I
    > get 8-10k out of a chain.

    And that chain life depends on how much wear you'll tolerate
    before renewing. I'm conservative about this, replacing a
    chain when my Rohloff chain checker says it's at the wear limit
    for _alloy_ sprockets. This gives me maximum life from the
    sprockets/freewheel/cassette/cluster.

    John

  19. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    Yeah, really going to thrash this one though 'cause it's sprocket changing time. Going compact so I'll be getting the whole lot overhauled.

  20. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003
    That's where I'm at at the moment. I'm targeting three chains per cluster, first chain replaced at 3500km's but the second chain was elongated before I got arounbd to replacing it it is now at 6700km's and probably well elongated.

    Have the new chain and cluster standing by for when the engagement of chain on cluster starts to deteriorate.

    Off the top of my head a 10 sp (non Campag chain is ~$60 and a cluster ~$200)