Disabled Cycling Tours - Our First Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Matter

I posted out here several months ago about an organization I was starting to do cycling tours for
the disabled (physical and developmental). I just thought I'd drop everyone a line to let you know
that we completed our first tour last weekend and it was a huge success. We had 4 disabled kids and
their families. The kids had a variety of disabilities, including Autism, Blindness and
Developmental Delays. Counting everyone, we had 19 riders participating. The only downside was that
one family wasn't able to make it due to car problems.

The 2 day tour started at Copper Mountain (Colorado) and went to Breckenridge, CO. Most of the
terrain was downhill with a couple of pretty moderate hills. The weather was cold and rainy when we
got there, but by the time we started riding, the weather had cleared and we had a great time. Due
to the lateness of our start, we went right to dinner from riding and had some great Jamaican pasta
at a place called Rasta Pasta in Breckenridge. From there, we drove to Winter Park, CO, where we
spent the night in condos. The next day was picture postcard perfect, and we got another 15 mile
ride in after breakfast. All of the families had a great time, and want to do it again next year. It
was as successful as I had planned for, but went better than I had expected.

I'll be putting pictures and some video up on the website within the next few days, should anyone be
interested in seeing more on our tour. Our website address is www.assistedcyclingtours.org. For
those of you who are interested in reading more, an article will be published in the August edition
of Exceptional Parent magazine.

I'm on my way to Newfoundland, Canada, to plan our 2 week excursion for next summer!

Regards, Bob

Bob Matter Executive Director Assisted Cycling Tours www.assistedcyclingtours.org

Congratulations! I remember your prior post and I'm glad to see you were able to put these rides
together. I only wish you were closer to Ohio.

Beverly

"Bob Matter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I posted out here several months ago about an organization I was starting
to
> do cycling tours for the disabled (physical and developmental). I just thought I'd drop everyone a
> line to let you know that we completed our
first
> tour last weekend and it was a huge success. We had 4 disabled kids and their families. The kids
> had a variety of disabilities, including
Autism,
> Blindness and Developmental Delays. Counting everyone, we had 19 riders participating. The only
> downside was that one family wasn't able to make
it
> due to car problems.
>
> The 2 day tour started at Copper Mountain (Colorado) and went to Breckenridge, CO. Most of the
> terrain was downhill with a couple of
pretty
> moderate hills. The weather was cold and rainy when we got there, but by the time we started
> riding, the weather had cleared and we had a great
time.
> Due to the lateness of our start, we went right to dinner from riding and had some great Jamaican
> pasta at a place called Rasta Pasta in
Breckenridge.
> From there, we drove to Winter Park, CO, where we spent the night in
condos.
> The next day was picture postcard perfect, and we got another 15 mile
ride
> in after breakfast. All of the families had a great time, and want to do
it
> again next year. It was as successful as I had planned for, but went
better
> than I had expected.
>
> I'll be putting pictures and some video up on the website within the next few days, should anyone
> be interested in seeing more on our tour. Our website address is www.assistedcyclingtours.org. For
> those of you who
are
> interested in reading more, an article will be published in the August edition of Exceptional
> Parent magazine.
>
> I'm on my way to Newfoundland, Canada, to plan our 2 week excursion for
next
> summer!
>
> Regards, Bob
>
>
>
> Bob Matter Executive Director Assisted Cycling Tours www.assistedcyclingtours.org

Bob [email protected] wrote on 6/24/03:

>
>I posted out here several months ago about an organization I was starting to do cycling tours for
>the disabled (physical and developmental). I just thought I'd drop everyone a line to let you know
>that we completed our first tour last weekend and it was a huge success.

Bob-that sounds like a great time for the kids, their families, and you. Having worked as an OT
working with kids with developmental disabilities in public schools, I know how much parents love
seeing their children doing things that shows what they really can do. Congratulations on a valuable
project well done!

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.