Disabled Cycling Tours - Our First Trip

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Bob Matter, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Bob Matter

    Bob Matter Guest

    I posted out here several months ago about an organization I was starting to do cycling tours for
    the disabled (physical and developmental). I just thought I'd drop everyone a line to let you know
    that we completed our first tour last weekend and it was a huge success. We had 4 disabled kids and
    their families. The kids had a variety of disabilities, including Autism, Blindness and
    Developmental Delays. Counting everyone, we had 19 riders participating. The only downside was that
    one family wasn't able to make it due to car problems.

    The 2 day tour started at Copper Mountain (Colorado) and went to Breckenridge, CO. Most of the
    terrain was downhill with a couple of pretty moderate hills. The weather was cold and rainy when we
    got there, but by the time we started riding, the weather had cleared and we had a great time. Due
    to the lateness of our start, we went right to dinner from riding and had some great Jamaican pasta
    at a place called Rasta Pasta in Breckenridge. From there, we drove to Winter Park, CO, where we
    spent the night in condos. The next day was picture postcard perfect, and we got another 15 mile
    ride in after breakfast. All of the families had a great time, and want to do it again next year. It
    was as successful as I had planned for, but went better than I had expected.

    I'll be putting pictures and some video up on the website within the next few days, should anyone be
    interested in seeing more on our tour. Our website address is www.assistedcyclingtours.org. For
    those of you who are interested in reading more, an article will be published in the August edition
    of Exceptional Parent magazine.

    I'm on my way to Newfoundland, Canada, to plan our 2 week excursion for next summer!

    Regards, Bob

    Bob Matter Executive Director Assisted Cycling Tours www.assistedcyclingtours.org

    Tags:

  2. >I posted out here several months ago about an organization I was starting to do cycling tours for
    >the disabled (physical and developmental).

    I remember your posts, and as a fellow Coloradan, I tip my hat to you. Congrats on pulling it off.

    http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns (Colorado rental condo)

    http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox (Family Web Page)

  3. Beverly

    Beverly Guest

    Congratulations! I remember your prior post and I'm glad to see you were able to put these rides
    together. I only wish you were closer to Ohio.

    Beverly

    "Bob Matter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I posted out here several months ago about an organization I was starting
    > do cycling tours for the disabled (physical and developmental). I just thought I'd drop everyone a
    > line to let you know that we completed our
    first
    > tour last weekend and it was a huge success. We had 4 disabled kids and their families. The kids
    > had a variety of disabilities, including
    Autism,
    > Blindness and Developmental Delays. Counting everyone, we had 19 riders participating. The only
    > downside was that one family wasn't able to make
    it
    > due to car problems.
    >
    > The 2 day tour started at Copper Mountain (Colorado) and went to Breckenridge, CO. Most of the
    > terrain was downhill with a couple of
    pretty
    > moderate hills. The weather was cold and rainy when we got there, but by the time we started
    > riding, the weather had cleared and we had a great
    time.
    > Due to the lateness of our start, we went right to dinner from riding and had some great Jamaican
    > pasta at a place called Rasta Pasta in
    Breckenridge.
    > From there, we drove to Winter Park, CO, where we spent the night in
    condos.
    > The next day was picture postcard perfect, and we got another 15 mile
    ride
    > in after breakfast. All of the families had a great time, and want to do
    it
    > again next year. It was as successful as I had planned for, but went
    better
    > than I had expected.
    >
    > I'll be putting pictures and some video up on the website within the next few days, should anyone
    > be interested in seeing more on our tour. Our website address is www.assistedcyclingtours.org. For
    > those of you who
    are
    > interested in reading more, an article will be published in the August edition of Exceptional
    > Parent magazine.
    >
    > I'm on my way to Newfoundland, Canada, to plan our 2 week excursion for
    next
    > summer!
    >
    > Regards, Bob
    >

    > Bob Matter Executive Director Assisted Cycling Tours www.assistedcyclingtours.org

  4. Papayahed1

    Papayahed1 Guest

    Bob [email protected] wrote on 6/24/03:

    >I posted out here several months ago about an organization I was starting to do cycling tours for
    >the disabled (physical and developmental). I just thought I'd drop everyone a line to let you know
    >that we completed our first tour last weekend and it was a huge success.

    Bob-that sounds like a great time for the kids, their families, and you. Having worked as an OT
    working with kids with developmental disabilities in public schools, I know how much parents love
    seeing their children doing things that shows what they really can do. Congratulations on a valuable
    project well done!

    Michael