Disaster Approaching--Vuelta Organizer

You know, Heras is a classic example of a rider that fits the profile
of an abuser. He has flashes of brillianec with no explanations as to
why he is so bi-polar in results. I will wait for the "b" sample as
always but I think we can say that this is the single worst case (a
positive from a multi GT winner that was caught while winning one of
his GTs. Pantani was booted out for "health reasons" and another rider
finished in Milano the winner. Now you have the first modern GT winner
who did not finish in the leader's jersey. Menchov will be happy as he
thought he lost unfairly anyway. Ah well. Moder cycling and the
pressures of a multi-million dollar contract. I am thinking most of the
boys are overpaid these days.

"Chris M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You know, Heras is a classic example of a rider that fits the profile
> of an abuser. He has flashes of brillianec with no explanations as to
> why he is so bi-polar in results. I will wait for the "b" sample as
> always but I think we can say that this is the single worst case (a
> positive from a multi GT winner that was caught while winning one of
> his GTs. Pantani was booted out for "health reasons" and another rider
> finished in Milano the winner. Now you have the first modern GT winner
> who did not finish in the leader's jersey.

No, we have not. It happened before in the Vuelta, in 1982, when Arroyo was
disqualified and Marino Lejaretta was proclaimed winner.

> Menchov will be happy as he thought he lost unfairly anyway.

Menchov must have suspected Heras was using epo. A brilliant Vuelta after a
lousy Tour, what else could it be?

> Ah well. Moder cycling and the pressures of a multi-million dollar
> contract. I am thinking most of the
> boys are overpaid these days.

Compared to other sportsmen? No, they are underpaid, with only a few
exceptions.

Benjo

and of course Lemond finished the 1989 TdF without the yellow jersey, at
least when he crossed the finish line. Just splitting hairs, but I do get
your point.
news:[email protected]...

Chris M wrote:
> You know, Heras is a classic example of a rider that fits the profile
> of an abuser. He has flashes of brillianec with no explanations as to
> why he is so bi-polar in results.

dumbass,

good observation. who needs WADA.

amit wrote:
> Chris M wrote:
> > You know, Heras is a classic example of a rider that fits the profile
> > of an abuser. He has flashes of brillianec with no explanations as to
> > why he is so bi-polar in results.

> dumbass,
>
> good observation. who needs WADA.

UCI shares Chris M's view. According to El Pais, UCI inspectors
considered Heras suspect based on two facts: the performance difference
between Tour and Vuelta, and his quick recovery after his fall
mid-Vuelta.

Jenko

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 23:41:38 +0100, "benjo maso" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Compared to other sportsmen? No, they are underpaid, with only a few
>exceptions.

Well, you can pick which pro sportsmen, so if you start with the
universe of overpaid sportsmen, cycling may well be in the fourth
quartile, fighting it out with the U.S. bass fishermen.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

"Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 23:41:38 +0100, "benjo maso" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>Compared to other sportsmen? No, they are underpaid, with only a few
>>exceptions.

> Well, you can pick which pro sportsmen, so if you start with the
> universe of overpaid sportsmen, cycling may well be in the fourth
> quartile, fighting it out with the U.S. bass fishermen.

According to Daniel Coyle only a handful cross the million-mark, but most
riders are in the $ 50.000 - $ 80.000 range. The minimum salary is $ 30.000.
The average salary of a Dutch soccerplayer is about $ 400.000

Benjo