Disc Brake Hubs - 130mm spacing

Andrew F Martin

Guest
Anybody other than Phil Wood making these yet ($459 for just the rear
hub)? The wheels that came on my commuter are not the hottest (gold
star for Ozark for predicting that) and I'd like to build up some
32hole wheels on good, dependable hubs. Any ideas on who else might
make these?

I know of:

Mavic Cross City
FSA 460(?)
Velomax

....but I want hand-built, trouble free, non-boutique. Anyone?

Andrew F Martin wrote:
> Anybody other than Phil Wood making these yet ($459 for just the rear
> hub)? The wheels that came on my commuter are not the hottest (gold
> star for Ozark for predicting that) and I'd like to build up some
> 32hole wheels on good, dependable hubs. Any ideas on who else might
> make these?
>
> I know of:
>
> Mavic Cross City
> FSA 460(?)
> Velomax
>
> ...but I want hand-built, trouble free, non-boutique. Anyone?

Can you respace the rear (given that the brake caliper can adjust
accordingly) by putting in 2.5mm shorter axle spacers and putting in a 140mm
axle?

--
Phil

On Feb 1, 3:34 pm, "Andrew F Martin" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Anybody other than Phil Wood making these yet ($459 for just the rear
> hub)? The wheels that came on my commuter are not the hottest (gold
> star for Ozark for predicting that) and I'd like to build up some
> 32hole wheels on good, dependable hubs. Any ideas on who else might
> make these?

What make/model bike?

I'm wondering which genius designed a frame with disc mounts, but
didn't space it 135mm.

On Feb 1, 4:34 pm, "Andrew F Martin" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Anybody other than Phil Wood making these yet ($459 for just the rear
> hub)? The wheels that came on my commuter are not the hottest (gold
> star for Ozark for predicting that) and I'd like to build up some
> 32hole wheels on good, dependable hubs. Any ideas on who else might
> make these?
>
> I know of:
>
> Mavic Cross City
> FSA 460(?)
> Velomax
>
> ...but I want hand-built, trouble free, non-boutique. Anyone?

Agree with Hank..no reason to make a frame with disc brake mounts then
130mm...since no hubs exist like that.

On Feb 1, 11:07 pm, "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 1, 3:34 pm, "Andrew F Martin" <[email protected]>
> wrote:> Anybody other than Phil Wood making these yet ($459 for just the rear
> > hub)? The wheels that came on my commuter are not the hottest (gold
> > star for Ozark for predicting that) and I'd like to build up some
> > 32hole wheels on good, dependable hubs. Any ideas on who else might
> > make these?

> What make/model bike?
>
> I'm wondering which genius designed a frame with disc mounts, but
> didn't space it 135mm.

Trek Portland
LeMond Poprad
Redline Disc-R
Most any cyclocross bike with disc tabs.

I imagine the market will follow...but the lag may be a pain.

On 2 Feb 2007 05:37:58 -0800, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Feb 1, 4:34 pm, "Andrew F Martin" <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>> Anybody other than Phil Wood making these yet ($459 for just the rear
>> hub)? The wheels that came on my commuter are not the hottest (gold
>> star for Ozark for predicting that) and I'd like to build up some
>> 32hole wheels on good, dependable hubs. Any ideas on who else might
>> make these?
>>
>> I know of:
>>
>> Mavic Cross City
>> FSA 460(?)
>> Velomax
>>
>> ...but I want hand-built, trouble free, non-boutique. Anyone?

>Agree with Hank..no reason to make a frame with disc brake mounts then
>130mm...since no hubs exist like that.

Easton did the Sagitta 130mm disc compatible wheel, but they seem to
have discontinued, probably due to lack of interest

http://cyclepath.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=2474

It's probably going to take the UCI permitting disc brakes in cyclo
cross before we see a good selection of 130mm disc hubs

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

On Feb 2, 9:36 am, Kinky Cowboy <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 2 Feb 2007 05:37:58 -0800, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >On Feb 1, 4:34 pm, "Andrew F Martin" <[email protected]>
> >wrote:
> >> Anybody other than Phil Wood making these yet ($459 for just the rear
> >> hub)? The wheels that came on my commuter are not the hottest (gold
> >> star for Ozark for predicting that) and I'd like to build up some
> >> 32hole wheels on good, dependable hubs. Any ideas on who else might
> >> make these?

> >> I know of:

> >> Mavic Cross City
> >> FSA 460(?)
> >> Velomax

> >> ...but I want hand-built, trouble free, non-boutique. Anyone?

> >Agree with Hank..no reason to make a frame with disc brake mounts then
> >130mm...since no hubs exist like that.

> Easton did the Sagitta 130mm disc compatible wheel, but they seem to
> have discontinued, probably due to lack of interest
>
> http://cyclepath.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=2474
>
> It's probably going to take the UCI permitting disc brakes in cyclo
> cross before we see a good selection of 130mm disc hubs
>
> Kinky Cowboy*
>
> *Batteries not included
> May contain traces of nuts
> Your milage may vary- Hide quoted text -

http://www.ncnca.org/cyclocross/2003/OtherNews/2004RedlinePR.htm

Right- those are the same as the Velomax's. I'm meetign with the
Shimano rep tonight - I'll see what he's heard.

On Feb 1, 5:34 pm, "Andrew F Martin" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Anybody other than Phil Wood making these yet ($459 for just the rear
> hub)? The wheels that came on my commuter are not the hottest (gold
> star for Ozark for predicting that)

I wonder how widespread the problems with those wheels are, as a
percentage of Trek Portlands that *actually get ridden* (?).

> and I'd like to build up some
> 32hole wheels on good, dependable hubs. Any ideas on who else might
> make these?
>
> I know of:
>
> Mavic Cross City
> FSA 460(?)
> Velomax
>
> ...but I want hand-built, trouble free, non-boutique. Anyone?

On Feb 2, 2:56 pm, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 1, 5:34 pm, "Andrew F Martin" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > Anybody other than Phil Wood making these yet ($459 for just the rear
> > hub)? The wheels that came on my commuter are not the hottest (gold
> > star for Ozark for predicting that)

> I wonder how widespread the problems with those wheels are, as a
> percentage of Trek Portlands that *actually get ridden* (?).
>

> > and I'd like to build up some
> > 32hole wheels on good, dependable hubs. Any ideas on who else might
> > make these?

> > I know of:

> > Mavic Cross City
> > FSA 460(?)
> > Velomax

> > ...but I want hand-built, trouble free, non-boutique. Anyone?- Hide quoted text -

I have to say - they are ALL OVER up here in Seattle - I usually see
at least one a week while commuting. Full fenders (http://tinyurl.com/
2sm7lx) works really well. The hubs aren't that horrible even, but
with the number of roots and potholes that have worked their way into
the bike path up here- the wheels have taken a bit of a beating.

wrote:
> Anybody other than Phil Wood making these yet ($459 for just the rear
> hub)? The wheels that came on my commuter are not the hottest (gold
> star for Ozark for predicting that) and I'd like to build up some
> 32hole wheels on good, dependable hubs. Any ideas on who else might
> make these?
>
> I know of:
>
> Mavic Cross City
> FSA 460(?)
> Velomax
>
> ...but I want hand-built, trouble free, non-boutique. Anyone?

Any reason you don't wanna repack your current kit with nice 25 grade
balls, destress, true, etc..? Much of what makes a wheel a good friend
is handiwork, not bits.

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 16:14:47 -0800, "Jay Beattie"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Andrew F Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Feb 1, 11:07 pm, "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > On Feb 1, 3:34 pm, "Andrew F Martin"

><[email protected]>
>> > wrote:> Anybody other than Phil Wood making these yet ($459

>for just the rear

>hottest (gold

>up some

>else might
>> >
>> > What make/model bike?
>> >
>> > I'm wondering which genius designed a frame with disc mounts,

>but
>> > didn't space it 135mm.

>> Trek Portland
>> LeMond Poprad
>> Redline Disc-R
>> Most any cyclocross bike with disc tabs.
>>
>> I imagine the market will follow...but the lag may be a pain.

>Who will the market follow? I hope it is the 135mm (or greater)
>standard and not 130mm standard for the Trek (and some other)
>bikes. BTW, my Cannondale cross bike has 135mm disc hubs.

Cross bikes are going to have 130mm spacing to take road hubs for all
those weight weenies and Luddites who want to stick with cantilever
brakes; then again, those frames have no business having disc tabs as
well, so they must be a marketing gimmick. My brother's Orbea has
130mm spacing and disc tabs

Perhaps the sensible answer would be for bike makers to have two frame
lines - real cross bikes for racers, with 130mm spacing, no disc tabs,
space for proper CX tyres(28-32) only, and the increasingly popular
faux-cross bikes for those of us (I include myself with my Kona JtS)
who are never going to enter a CX race but want something that's both
fast on the pavement and tough on the towpath/bridleway/singletrack,
which would have 135mm rear hubs, disc tabs, mounting points for racks
and mudguards, double bottle cage bosses, room for really big(37-42)
tyres with mudguard clearance too. Then all we need is a drop bar
sti/ergo/doubletap lever with a hydraulic master cylinder and we can
finally have proper brakes on a drop bar bike.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

On Feb 3, 1:15 am, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 1, 5:34 pm, "Andrew F Martin" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > Anybody other than Phil Wood making these yet ($459 for just the rear
> > hub)? The wheels that came on my commuter are not the hottest (gold
> > star for Ozark for predicting that) and I'd like to build up some
> > 32hole wheels on good, dependable hubs. Any ideas on who else might
> > make these?

> > I know of:

> > Mavic Cross City
> > FSA 460(?)
> > Velomax

> > ...but I want hand-built, trouble free, non-boutique. Anyone?

> Any reason you don't wanna repack your current kit with nice 25 grade
> balls, destress, true, etc..? Much of what makes a wheel a good friend
> is handiwork, not bits.

I think the real problem lies in the Trek Portland's low spoke count,
paired spoke pattern rims, not the hubs.

On Feb 3, 8:08 am, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 3, 1:15 am, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 1, 5:34 pm, "Andrew F Martin" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > Anybody other than Phil Wood making these yet ($459 for just the rear
> > > hub)? The wheels that came on my commuter are not the hottest (gold
> > > star for Ozark for predicting that) and I'd like to build up some
> > > 32hole wheels on good, dependable hubs. Any ideas on who else might
> > > make these?

> > > I know of:

> > > Mavic Cross City
> > > FSA 460(?)
> > > Velomax

> > > ...but I want hand-built, trouble free, non-boutique. Anyone?

> > Any reason you don't wanna repack your current kit with nice 25 grade
> > balls, destress, true, etc..? Much of what makes a wheel a good friend
> > is handiwork, not bits.

> I think the real problem lies in the Trek Portland.

Totally agree. It was a bad answer to a simple problem.

On Feb 3, 9:41 am, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 3, 8:08 am, "Ozark Bicycle"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Feb 3, 1:15 am, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Any reason you don't wanna repack your current kit with nice 25 grade
> > > balls, destress, true, etc..? Much of what makes a wheel a good friend
> > > is handiwork, not bits.

> > I think the real problem lies in the Trek Portland.

> Totally agree. It was a bad answer to a simple problem.- Hide quoted text -

Ah, a little creative snipping, eh?

Well, yeah, the whole Trek Portland seems a little bit silly: a $1500+
"commuter" with low spoke count wheels and a CFRP fork. Good for
commuting to Starbuck$, I guess.

On Feb 3, 11:51 am, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 3, 9:41 am, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 3, 8:08 am, "Ozark Bicycle"

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I think the real problem lies in the Trek Portland.

> > Totally agree. It was a bad answer to a simple problem.- Hide quoted text -

> Ah, a little creative snipping, eh?
>
> Well, yeah, the whole Trek Portland seems a little bit silly: a $1500+
> "commuter" with low spoke count wheels and a CFRP fork. Good for
> commuting to Starbuck$, I guess.

Just having a bit of fun. :p

I'd have forgiven Trek if they'd used normal wheels--even 28/32 spoke
ones, and actual fenders, instead of fake fender shaped talismans.

The 130mm rear disc hub is just absurd. I'm surprised it even exists.
If there's a drilling for a normal caliper brake, ditching the rear
disc and using a normal wheel seems to be the least expensive and
smartest option.

On Feb 3, 12:43 pm, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 3, 11:51 am, "Ozark Bicycle"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Feb 3, 9:41 am, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Totally agree. It was a bad answer to a simple problem.- Hide quoted text -

> > Ah, a little creative snipping, eh?

> > Well, yeah, the whole Trek Portland seems a little bit silly: a $1500+
> > "commuter" with low spoke count wheels and a CFRP fork. Good for
> > commuting to Starbuck$, I guess.

> Just having a bit of fun. :p

No harm, no foul. :)

> I'd have forgiven Trek if they'd used normal wheels--even 28/32 spoke
> ones, and actual fenders, instead of fake fender shaped talismans.

But, as they said in those old Canon camera ads, "Image is
Everything". Ya don't wanna look stodgy at the latte stop.

> The 130mm rear disc hub is just absurd. I'm surprised it even exists.
> If there's a drilling for a normal caliper brake, ditching the rear
> disc and using a normal wheel seems to be the least expensive and
> smartest option.- Hide quoted text -

Disc front, caliper rear. Hmm.....

On Feb 3, 4:21 pm, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 3, 12:43 pm, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > The 130mm rear disc hub is just absurd. I'm surprised it even exists.
> > If there's a drilling for a normal caliper brake, ditching the rear
> > disc and using a normal wheel seems to be the least expensive and
> > smartest option.- Hide quoted text -

> Disc front, caliper rear. Hmm.....

No different than the current crop of mtbs at *marts everywhere. Makes
perfect sense functionally, but again--they'll not be impressed when
you rack up at Intelligentsia for your quickie ristretto shot.

On Feb 3, 4:24 pm, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 3, 4:21 pm, "Ozark Bicycle"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Feb 3, 12:43 pm, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > The 130mm rear disc hub is just absurd. I'm surprised it even exists.
> > > If there's a drilling for a normal caliper brake, ditching the rear
> > > disc and using a normal wheel seems to be the least expensive and
> > > smartest option.- Hide quoted text -

> > Disc front, caliper rear. Hmm.....

> No different than the current crop of mtbs at *marts everywhere. Makes
> perfect sense functionally, but again--they'll not be impressed when
> you rack up at Intelligentsia for your quickie ristretto shot.

Right....it would require the Starbuck$ crowd to actually *think*
rather than being led around like a flock of sheep (and so easily
fleeced).

On Feb 2, 12:47 pm, "Andrew F Martin" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Feb 2, 9:36 am, Kinky Cowboy <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On 2 Feb 2007 05:37:58 -0800, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > >Agree with Hank..no reason to make a frame with disc brake mounts then
> > >130mm...since no hubs exist like that.

> > Easton did the Sagitta 130mm disc compatible wheel, but they seem to
> > have discontinued, probably due to lack of interest

> >http://cyclepath.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=2474

> > It's probably going to take the UCI permitting disc brakes in cyclo
> > cross before we see a good selection of 130mm disc hubs

> > Kinky Cowboy*

> > *Batteries not included
> > May contain traces of nuts
> > Your milage may vary- Hide quoted text -

> http://www.ncnca.org/cyclocross/2003/OtherNews/2004RedlinePR.htm
>
> Right- those are the same as the Velomax's. I'm meetign with the
> Shimano rep tonight - I'll see what he's heard.- Hide quoted text -

Shimano said no-go. When UCI quashed discs for cyclocross, they
decided not to chase production of the 130 hub.

On Feb 3, 7:25 am, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 2, 5:43 pm, "Andrew F Martin" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 2, 2:56 pm, "Ozark Bicycle"

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I wonder how widespread the problems with those wheels are, as a
> > > percentage of Trek Portlands that *actually get ridden* (?).

> > I have to say - they are ALL OVER up here in Seattle - I usually see
> > at least one a week while commuting. Full fenders (http://tinyurl.com/
> > 2sm7lx) works really well. The hubs aren't that horrible even, but
> > with the number of roots and potholes that have worked their way into
> > the bike path up here- the wheels have taken a bit of a beating

> "the wheels have taken a bit of a beating"? Isn't this to be expected
> for a bike advertised and sold as a "commuter", and an expensive one,
> at that? Doesn't Trek have an obligation to supply wheels that can
> stand up to the kind of duty that can be readily forseen on a commuter
> bike?- Hide quoted text -

yeah - I'll yield to your point here. My Race Lite wheels have been
good in the past - the Bontrager Select Disc set hasn't been nearly as
nice. I'll probably spend the game today re-packing bearings and re-
tensioning the spokes.