Disc Brake Hubs - 130mm spacing

On Feb 3, 7:25 am, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 2, 5:43 pm, "Andrew F Martin" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 2, 2:56 pm, "Ozark Bicycle"

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I wonder how widespread the problems with those wheels are, as a
> > > percentage of Trek Portlands that *actually get ridden* (?).

> > I have to say - they are ALL OVER up here in Seattle - I usually see
> > at least one a week while commuting. Full fenders (http://tinyurl.com/
> > 2sm7lx) works really well. The hubs aren't that horrible even, but
> > with the number of roots and potholes that have worked their way into
> > the bike path up here- the wheels have taken a bit of a beating

> "the wheels have taken a bit of a beating"? Isn't this to be expected
> for a bike advertised and sold as a "commuter", and an expensive one,
> at that? Doesn't Trek have an obligation to supply wheels that can
> stand up to the kind of duty that can be readily forseen on a commuter
> bike?- Hide quoted text -

A little research and think my solution is to re-build the hubs onto
Velocity DeepVs (available in 24 hole).

On Feb 4, 9:40 am, "Andrew F Martin" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Feb 3, 7:25 am, "Ozark Bicycle"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Feb 2, 5:43 pm, "Andrew F Martin" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > I have to say - they are ALL OVER up here in Seattle - I usually see
> > > at least one a week while commuting. Full fenders (http://tinyurl.com/
> > > 2sm7lx) works really well. The hubs aren't that horrible even, but
> > > with the number of roots and potholes that have worked their way into
> > > the bike path up here- the wheels have taken a bit of a beating

> > "the wheels have taken a bit of a beating"? Isn't this to be expected
> > for a bike advertised and sold as a "commuter", and an expensive one,
> > at that? Doesn't Trek have an obligation to supply wheels that can
> > stand up to the kind of duty that can be readily forseen on a commuter
> > bike?- Hide quoted text -

> A little research and think my solution is to re-build the hubs onto
> Velocity DeepVs (available in 24 hole)

A 24H front might be okay, but I still have doubts about a 24H rear
wheel on a commuter subject to potholes, etc. I understand that you
find yourself a bit boxed in by the 130mm disc rear, so I hope I'm
wrong and keep the group posted.

> On Feb 3, 7:25 am, "Ozark Bicycle"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Feb 2, 5:43 pm, "Andrew F Martin" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

-snip dead rims from Trek Portland-

Andrew F Martin wrote:
> A little research and think my solution is to re-build the hubs onto
> Velocity DeepVs (available in 24 hole).

Yes, 24h in two formats - be sure to specify "paired spoke"
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On 4 Feb 2007 08:52:14 -0800, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>A 24H front might be okay, but I still have doubts about a 24H rear
>wheel on a commuter subject to potholes, etc. I understand that you
>find yourself a bit boxed in by the 130mm disc rear, so I hope I'm
>wrong and keep the group posted.

I've been running a 24 hole (Shimano WH-R500) rear on my Kona JtS with
plenty of off road riding for 2 years, and I weigh >200lb. It's never
seen a spoke key, and it doesn't rub on the brake blocks.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Kinky Cowboy wrote:
> On 4 Feb 2007 08:52:14 -0800, "Ozark Bicycle"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> A 24H front might be okay, but I still have doubts about a 24H rear
>> wheel on a commuter subject to potholes, etc. I understand that you
>> find yourself a bit boxed in by the 130mm disc rear, so I hope I'm
>> wrong and keep the group posted.

> I've been running a 24 hole (Shimano WH-R500) rear on my Kona JtS with
> plenty of off road riding for 2 years, and I weigh >200lb. It's never
> seen a spoke key, and it doesn't rub on the brake blocks.

heretic!

On Feb 4, 1:54 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> Yes, 24h in two formats - be sure to specify "paired spoke"
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

For the DeepVs - I know if I re-use hubs, that I should follow the
lacing pattern previously used. Is the angle so great with 24 spoke
paired that I couldn't go to a standard spoking? Looking at the hub,
I don't think the direction of the spoke would change by very much at
all. I'm sure I could figure it out pretty easy - but I'm having food
coma from superbowl food.