Disc brake pads

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Dean A. Stepper, Jun 17, 2003.

  1. On my I-drive I have Deore M525 discs and they are very quite as long as I use Shimano pads. The
    Hayes discs on my new 5-Spot are squealing bad when they get hot. The Hayes have the original pads
    in them...what disc pads may work better?

    Dean Stepper Laguna Beach CA

    Tags:

  2. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Dean A. Stepper wrote:
    > On my I-drive I have Deore M525 discs and they are very quite as long as I use Shimano pads. The
    > Hayes discs on my new 5-Spot are squealing bad when they get hot. The Hayes have the original pads
    > in them...what disc pads may work better?
    >
    > Dean Stepper Laguna Beach CA

    EBC green. The red work as well, but don't last as long.

    David

  3. Jan Sacharuk

    Jan Sacharuk Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Dean A. Stepper wrote:
    > On my I-drive I have Deore M525 discs and they are very quite as long as I use Shimano pads. The
    > Hayes discs on my new 5-Spot are squealing bad when they get hot. The Hayes have the original pads
    > in them...what disc pads may work better?

    I don't know if they're any quieter, but once they break in, the Kool Stop Hayes pads are far
    superior to the Hayes pads themselves. Cheaper, too.

    JS

    --
    ========================= [email protected] ========================
    Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code

  4. > EBC green. The red work as well, but don't last as long.

    > David

    Im using red atm as the standard pads that came with my Hope Enduro 4s were, to say the least,
    shite. They squeeled and gave me about as much stopping power as the bottom of my shoe. How long are
    the reds supposed to last? All I've heard are 'not long' but what's that?

    Small Black Dog

  5. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Jan Sacharuk wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, Dean A. Stepper wrote:
    >
    >>On my I-drive I have Deore M525 discs and they are very quite as long as I use Shimano pads. The
    >>Hayes discs on my new 5-Spot are squealing bad when they get hot. The Hayes have the original pads
    >>in them...what disc pads may work better?
    >

    > I don't know if they're any quieter, but once they break in, the Kool Stop Hayes pads are far
    > superior to the Hayes pads themselves. Cheaper, too.
    >
    > JS

    Aren't kool stop V-brake pads? The subject claims to be about disc pads...

    David

  6. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Small Black Dog wrote:
    >>EBC green. The red work as well, but don't last as long.
    >>
    >>David
    >

    > Im using red atm as the standard pads that came with my Hope Enduro 4s were, to say the least,
    > shite. They squeeled and gave me about as much stopping power as the bottom of my shoe. How long
    > are the reds supposed to last? All I've heard are 'not long' but what's that?
    >
    > Small Black Dog

    How long depends on how often you use 'em :). You said "red atm" -- are you sure that you're talking
    about EBC pads? The red are down-hill pads designed for heat resistence and lots of breaking. The
    green are cross country pads, and the gold are road pads (and IME, are crap).

    BTW, if the pads squeel, they and the rotor are contaminated with oil. Try a coat of mud on the
    rotors, then ride. Repeat until the squeel's gone. Also, a good smoking from a long downhill to burn
    the oil off helps also.

    David

  7. D H

    D H Guest

    "David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Jan Sacharuk wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>, Dean A. Stepper wrote:
    > >
    > >>On my I-drive I have Deore M525 discs and they are very quite as long as
    > >>use Shimano pads. The Hayes discs on my new 5-Spot are squealing bad
    when
    > >>they get hot. The Hayes have the original pads in them...what disc pads
    may
    > >>work better?
    > >

    > > I don't know if they're any quieter, but once they break in, the Kool Stop Hayes pads are far
    > > superior to the Hayes pads themselves. Cheaper, too.
    > >
    > > JS
    >
    > Aren't kool stop V-brake pads? The subject claims to be about disc
    pads...

    > David

    No, Kool Stop is a brand. They make disc pads too. I have used them once. They were decent pads
    really, but did make some noise after they got a little wear. EBC green pads are by far the
    quietest I have used.
    --
    Off to ride the mountains, D H Reply to newsgroup. Spam is out of control.

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Jan Sacharuk wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>, Dean A. Stepper wrote:
    > >
    > >>On my I-drive I have Deore M525 discs and they are very quite as long as I use Shimano pads. The
    > >>Hayes discs on my new 5-Spot are squealing bad when they get hot. The Hayes have the original
    > >>pads in them...what disc pads may work better?
    > >

    > > I don't know if they're any quieter, but once they break in, the Kool Stop Hayes pads are far
    > > superior to the Hayes pads themselves. Cheaper, too.
    > >
    > > JS
    >
    > Aren't kool stop V-brake pads? The subject claims to be about disc pads...
    >
    > David

    They make brake pads for v-brakes, disc brakes, cantelever brakes, side pull brakes, u-brakes,
    broken brakes, silver brakes, black brakes, red brakes and sometimes yellow brakes. They also make
    strollers and trailers, or so they claim, but I have never seen one.
    --
    _________________________

  9. Pedro

    Pedro Guest

    2 of us wore both pairs of EBC Golds out in one 15 mile wet muddy ride in UK, right to the
    backplates. Were then replaced twice by EBC who vaguely acknowledged they had 'problems'. Sold last
    pair on Ebay and bought Jagwire (Hope Mini) and they have lasted since just after Christmas
    including 2 weeks in Turkey and 2 weeks in Moab. Checked yesterday an they not even half worn. Look
    out for the new Clarks range due now. They made by Carbonne Lorraine, should be good and doing a
    whole range. P

    "Small Black Dog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > EBC green. The red work as well, but don't last as long.
    > >
    > > David
    >
    > Im using red atm as the standard pads that came with my Hope Enduro 4s
    were,
    > to say the least, shite. They squeeled and gave me about as much stopping power as the bottom of
    > my shoe. How long are the reds supposed to last?
    All
    > I've heard are 'not long' but what's that?
    >
    > Small Black Dog

  10. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Pedro wrote:
    > 2 of us wore both pairs of EBC Golds out in one 15 mile wet muddy ride in UK, right to the
    > backplates. Were then replaced twice by EBC who vaguely acknowledged they had 'problems'. Sold
    > last pair on Ebay and bought Jagwire (Hope Mini) and they have lasted since just after Christmas
    > including 2 weeks in Turkey and 2 weeks in Moab. Checked yesterday an they not even half worn.
    > Look out for the new Clarks range due now. They made by Carbonne Lorraine, should be good and
    > doing a whole range. P
    >
    > "Small Black Dog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>>EBC green. The red work as well, but don't last as long.
    >>>
    >>>David
    >>
    >>Im using red atm as the standard pads that came with my Hope Enduro 4s
    >
    > were,
    >
    >>to say the least, shite. They squeeled and gave me about as much stopping power as the bottom of
    >>my shoe. How long are the reds supposed to last?
    >
    > All
    >
    >>I've heard are 'not long' but what's that?
    >>
    >>Small Black Dog

    Yea, the gold are crap. They're not designed for off road and for me, they squeeled like mad from
    day one no matter what I did. If you have pads that you like, stick with 'em, but otherwise, give
    EBC green a try.

    David