Disc brake pads

naked_draughtsman

Guest
Can anyone tell me the difference between shimano M05 and M08 pads for
disc brakes?

I bought the M515 brake a while back and asked the same retailler
which pads I needed and they've sold me the M08 ones saying they were
definately the ones I needed. However on the front of the pack it
says I need M05 ones, but it doesn't say why.

The only difference I can see is that M08s can be allowed to wear down
to 0.5mm whereas the others need changing at 0.8mm (I only know that
from what it says on the packet!)

Any advice appreciated before I decide to just try them or try and get
them swapped.

peter

naked_draughtsman said the following on 14/02/2007 17:23:
> Can anyone tell me the difference between shimano M05 and M08 pads for
> disc brakes?

> Any advice appreciated before I decide to just try them or try and get
> them swapped.

They both appear to be resin pads, so no issues there (except that metal
pads are much better if your discs are OK for them - some Shimano discs
aren't)

BUT...

"Do not use M08 brake pads in combination with the BR-M515, BR-M515-LA
and BR-C601 brake system. If M08 brake pads are used, the brake arm and
caliper will touch before the pad wear indicator is noticed and a noise
indicating that the pads need to be replaced is heard, and this will
result in a gradual reduction in braking performance until ultimately
the brakes stop working."

This from
http://www.moruyabicycles.com.au/index.html?lang=en-uk&target=d555.html

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On Feb 14, 5:45 pm, Paul Boyd <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> wrote:
> "Do not use M08 brake pads in combination with the BR-M515, BR-M515-LA
> and BR-C601 brake system. If M08 brake pads are used, the brake arm and
> caliper will touch before the pad wear indicator is noticed and a noise
> indicating that the pads need to be replaced is heard, and this will
> result in a gradual reduction in braking performance until ultimately
> the brakes stop working."

Thanks very much, that makes some sense to me, I think I'll try and
get a replacement!

peter