Disc brake pads

Dick

Guest
I've been wrestling with a new set of XT discs latley. My rear has been perfect from day one, no
prob, everythings cool. The front however is an entirely different story. When I first installed it
the power and modulation was great but it had a squeal that a howler monkey couldn't touch, we're
talking really loud from the second the pad hit the disc and varying tones with changing pressure.

I tried breaking them in (lots of hard breaking from speed), roughed the disc and pads with emory
cloth, cleaned everything with dawn, cleaned it again with rubbing alcahol, nothing had any lasting
effect. Then in desperation I sprayed the disc with WD-40 and voalla, silence but then after a few
hours of riding I started losing power, not too much mind you, but I can't lock them up any more.
Cleaned everything again but still can't lock it up (it is still quiet though), I'm guessing the oil
in the WD-40 ruined the pads. I also rebled the system with no appreciable gain in power.

Um what was I asking... oh yea. So I'm thinking of trying some of those EBC pads but can't decide
which compound to go for. I don't need monster stopping power, just enough to lock em up for some
basic trials moves. The reviews on mtbr are too varied to skim any info from so I was hoping someone
here could help.

I'd also be willing to get another set of shimano pads if someone has a sure fire way to
shut them up.

>I'd also be willing to get another set of shimano pads if >someone has a sure fire way to
>shut them up.

If this was a car I would coat the REAR of the pads with copper slip grease, don't get any on the
front of the pads. Not sure if this will work since no experience of disc brakes on bikes.

Stratton

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 13:37:05 -0600, **** wrote:

> I've been wrestling with a new set of XT discs latley. My rear has been perfect from day one, no
> prob, everythings cool. The front however is an entirely different story. When I first installed
> it the power and modulation was great but it had a squeal that a howler monkey couldn't touch,
> we're talking really loud from the second the pad hit the disc and varying tones with changing
> pressure.
>
> I tried breaking them in (lots of hard breaking from speed), roughed the disc and pads with emory
> cloth, cleaned everything with dawn, cleaned it again with rubbing alcahol, nothing had any
> lasting effect. Then in desperation I sprayed the disc with WD-40 and voalla, silence but then
> after a few hours of riding I started losing power, not too much mind you, but I can't lock them
> up any more. Cleaned everything again but still can't lock it up (it is still quiet though), I'm
> guessing the oil in the WD-40 ruined the pads. I also rebled the system with no appreciable gain
> in power.
>
> Um what was I asking... oh yea. So I'm thinking of trying some of those EBC pads but can't decide
> which compound to go for. I don't need monster stopping power, just enough to lock em up for some
> basic trials moves. The reviews on mtbr are too varied to skim any info from so I was hoping
> someone here could help.
>
> I'd also be willing to get another set of shimano pads if someone has a sure fire way to shut
> them up.

I've used EBC red and green pads. I like the red because they require minimal finger pressure to
lock yet still have good modulation. They wear very fast though, about 3 times faster than stock
hayes pads. Oh, also, be careful when you're getting used to them or you'll end up on your head.

-Bruce

bruce edge wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 13:37:05 -0600, **** wrote:
>

>>I've been wrestling with a new set of XT discs latley. My rear has been perfect from day one, no
>>prob, everythings cool. The front however is an entirely different story. When I first installed
>>it the power and modulation was great but it had a squeal that a howler monkey couldn't touch,
>>we're talking really loud from the second the pad hit the disc and varying tones with changing
>>pressure.
>>
>>I tried breaking them in (lots of hard breaking from speed), roughed the disc and pads with emory
>>cloth, cleaned everything with dawn, cleaned it again with rubbing alcahol, nothing had any
>>lasting effect. Then in desperation I sprayed the disc with WD-40 and voalla, silence but then
>>after a few hours of riding I started losing power, not too much mind you, but I can't lock them
>>up any more. Cleaned everything again but still can't lock it up (it is still quiet though), I'm
>>guessing the oil in the WD-40 ruined the pads. I also rebled the system with no appreciable gain
>>in power.
>>
>>Um what was I asking... oh yea. So I'm thinking of trying some of those EBC pads but can't decide
>>which compound to go for. I don't need monster stopping power, just enough to lock em up for some
>>basic trials moves. The reviews on mtbr are too varied to skim any info from so I was hoping
>>someone here could help.
>>
>>I'd also be willing to get another set of shimano pads if someone has a sure fire way to shut
>>them up.
>

> I've used EBC red and green pads. I like the red because they require minimal finger pressure to
> lock yet still have good modulation. They wear very fast though, about 3 times faster than stock
> hayes pads. Oh, also, be careful when you're getting used to them or you'll end up on your head.
>
> -Bruce

I've tried all 3 on both the front and back -- hayes mechanicals. The green works best for me. Red
is ok, but slightly more prone to squeeling from grease contamination and seems to be slightly less
powerful at braking; gold started squeeling on about day 3 and nothing I could do would make it stop
-- and it didn't brake very well. SO, *I* recommend green (YMMV :)).

My guess is that the rotors had a thin layer of protective grease or oil on them and you started off
by immediately contaminating the pads. Best thing I've found for this is... mud! Smear it liberally
on the rotor and brake. Repeat as necessary :). Best mud is the fine, but abrasive kind. Make sure
that there're no stones in the mud or they get in the holes of the rotor and score the pads (not a
show stopper, but to be avoided if possible). If I can't find mud, I get some dirt in the palm of my
hand and make some with a little water from my hydration pak. I learned to rely on mud when I had an
American Classic rear hub that used to dump grease on the rotor every couple of rides. Replaced it
with a Chris King -- MUCH better hub AND service!

David

Has anyone tried an abrasive household cleaner like "Comet", it might be better than instead of
mud or sand.

"David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> bruce edge wrote:
> > On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 13:37:05 -0600, **** wrote:
> >

> >>I've been wrestling with a new set of XT discs latley. My rear has been perfect from day one, no
> >>prob, everythings cool. The front however is
an
> >>entirely different story. When I first installed it the power and modulation was great but it
> >>had a squeal that a howler monkey couldn't touch, we're talking really loud from the second the
> >>pad hit the disc
and
> >>varying tones with changing pressure.
> >>
> >>I tried breaking them in (lots of hard breaking from speed), roughed the disc and pads with
> >>emory cloth, cleaned everything with dawn, cleaned it again with rubbing alcahol, nothing had
> >>any lasting effect. Then in desperation I sprayed the disc with WD-40 and voalla, silence but
> >>then after a few hours of riding I started losing power, not too much mind
you,
> >>but I can't lock them up any more. Cleaned everything again but still can't lock it up (it is
> >>still quiet though), I'm guessing the oil in the WD-40 ruined the pads. I also rebled the system
> >>with no appreciable
gain
> >>in power.
> >>
> >>Um what was I asking... oh yea. So I'm thinking of trying some of those EBC pads but can't
> >>decide which compound to go for. I don't need
monster
> >>stopping power, just enough to lock em up for some basic trials moves. The reviews on mtbr are
> >>too varied to skim any info from so I was hoping someone here could help.
> >>
> >>I'd also be willing to get another set of shimano pads if someone has a sure fire way to shut
> >>them up.
> >

> > I've used EBC red and green pads. I like the red because they require minimal finger pressure to
> > lock yet still have good modulation. They wear very fast though, about 3 times faster than stock
> > hayes pads. Oh, also, be careful when you're getting used to them or you'll end up
on
> > your head.
> >
> > -Bruce
>
> I've tried all 3 on both the front and back -- hayes mechanicals. The green works best for me. Red
> is ok, but slightly more prone to squeeling from grease contamination and seems to be slightly
> less powerful at braking; gold started squeeling on about day 3 and nothing I could do would make
> it stop -- and it didn't brake very well. SO, *I* recommend green (YMMV :)).
>
> My guess is that the rotors had a thin layer of protective grease or oil on them and you started
> off by immediately contaminating the pads. Best thing I've found for this is... mud! Smear it
> liberally on the rotor and brake. Repeat as necessary :). Best mud is the fine, but abrasive kind.
> Make sure that there're no stones in the mud or they get in the holes of the rotor and score the
> pads (not a show stopper, but to be avoided if possible). If I can't find mud, I get some dirt in
> the palm of my hand and make some with a little water from my hydration pak. I learned to rely on
> mud when I had an American Classic rear hub that used to dump grease on the rotor every couple of
> rides. Replaced it with a Chris King -- MUCH better hub AND service!
>
> David

"stratton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >I'd also be willing to get another set of shimano pads if >someone has a sure fire way to shut
> >them up.
>
> If this was a car I would coat the REAR of the pads with copper slip
grease,
> don't get any on the front of the pads. Not sure if this will work since
no
> experience of disc brakes on bikes.

This is good advice (and dammit I was going to post it!) and well worth trying. Make sure you use
copper slip so that it stays in place...

Derral wrote:
> Has anyone tried an abrasive household cleaner like "Comet", it might be better than instead of
> mud or sand.

Interesting idea! I'll give it a try next time that I accidentally squirt chain lube in the wrong
direction or forget and spray from the chain side onto the rotor (happens more often that I'd like
to admit :).

David

> "David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>bruce edge wrote:

> an

> and

> you,

> gain

> monster

>>>I've used EBC red and green pads. I like the red because they require minimal finger pressure to
>>>lock yet still have good modulation. They wear very fast though, about 3 times faster than stock
>>>hayes pads. Oh, also, be careful when you're getting used to them or you'll end up
>
> on
>
>>>your head.
>>>
>>>-Bruce
>>
>>I've tried all 3 on both the front and back -- hayes mechanicals. The green works best for me. Red
>>is ok, but slightly more prone to squeeling from grease contamination and seems to be slightly
>>less powerful at braking; gold started squeeling on about day 3 and nothing I could do would make
>>it stop -- and it didn't brake very well. SO, *I* recommend green (YMMV :)).
>>
>>My guess is that the rotors had a thin layer of protective grease or oil on them and you started
>>off by immediately contaminating the pads. Best thing I've found for this is... mud! Smear it
>>liberally on the rotor and brake. Repeat as necessary :). Best mud is the fine, but abrasive kind.
>>Make sure that there're no stones in the mud or they get in the holes of the rotor and score the
>>pads (not a show stopper, but to be avoided if possible). If I can't find mud, I get some dirt in
>>the palm of my hand and make some with a little water from my hydration pak. I learned to rely on
>>mud when I had an American Classic rear hub that used to dump grease on the rotor every couple of
>>rides. Replaced it with a Chris King -- MUCH better hub AND service!
>>
>>David

spademan o---[) * <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "stratton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > >I'd also be willing to get another set of shimano pads if >someone has
> > >sure fire way to shut them up.
> >
> > If this was a car I would coat the REAR of the pads with copper slip
> grease,
> > don't get any on the front of the pads. Not sure if this will work since
> no
> > experience of disc brakes on bikes.
>
> This is good advice (and dammit I was going to post it!) and well worth trying. Make sure you use
> copper slip so that it stays in place...

Yep - thirded. I must say though, desperation or not, the WD40 thing was a

Get new pads, keep them clean and safe. Remove the disc from hub, clean it _thoroughly_ with pure
alcohol and/or detergent and a clean green scrubbing pad or similar. Re-install disc, fit pads with
copper grease into calliper, keeping the grease well away from the friction areas.

After this, get some fine-ish and wet mud (make some with garden dirt and plenty of warm water if
you have to). Smear this all over the disc, and _then_ do the bedding in. Keep applying more wet
mud as you go - discs should have good bite in no time, and hopefully, the squeal should have
stopped too.

Shaun aRe

> pad or similar. Re-install disc, fit pads with copper grease into calliper, keeping the grease
> well away from the friction areas.

Is this copper grease just that ordinary copper grease one can find in any automotive store? Usually
used on bolts and stuff?

RE/
>> Has anyone tried an abrasive household cleaner like "Comet", it might be better than instead of
>> mud or sand.
>
>Interesting idea! I'll give it a try next time that I accidentally squirt chain lube in the wrong
>direction or forget and spray from the chain side onto the rotor (happens more often that I'd like
>to admit :).

I always remove the pads before messing around back there. One overspray of chain lube onto my pads
was enough for me.

Also, I had some luck onece with boiling the pads in water.

Conversly, I ruined my first set of Hope pads by following Hope's bed-in instructions too closely
and dousing them with water. That started a squeal that I never got rid of until I bought new pads.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

Juho Huttunen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > pad or similar. Re-install disc, fit pads with copper grease into
calliper,
> > keeping the grease well away from the friction areas.
>
> Is this copper grease just that ordinary copper grease one can find in any automotive store?
> Usually used on bolts and stuff?

Yup, sure is!

Shaun aRe

> I've been wrestling with a new set of XT discs latley. My rear has been perfect from day one, no
> prob, everythings cool. The front however is an entirely different story. When I first installed
> it the power and modulation was great but it had a squeal that a howler monkey couldn't touch,
> we're talking really loud from the second the pad hit the disc and varying tones with changing
> pressure.
>
> I tried breaking them in (lots of hard breaking from speed), roughed the disc and pads with emory
> cloth, cleaned everything with dawn, cleaned it again with rubbing alcahol, nothing had any
> lasting effect. Then in desperation I sprayed the disc with WD-40 and voalla, silence but then
> after a few hours of riding I started losing power, not too much mind you, but I can't lock them
> up any more. Cleaned everything again but still can't lock it up (it is still quiet though), I'm
> guessing the oil in the WD-40 ruined the pads. I also rebled the system with no appreciable gain
> in power.
>
> Um what was I asking... oh yea. So I'm thinking of trying some of those EBC pads but can't decide
> which compound to go for. I don't need monster stopping power, just enough to lock em up for some
> basic trials moves. The reviews on mtbr are too varied to skim any info from so I was hoping
> someone here could help.
>
> I'd also be willing to get another set of shimano pads if someone has a sure fire way to shut
> them up.

You might want to consider Kool stop pads, they are cheaper and perform better than the stock pads.
Well anything performs better than Shimano stock pads, no matter what type of brake it is.
--

> I'd also be willing to get another set of shimano pads if someone has a sure fire way to shut
> them up.

Dont use Shimano pads...

Im using Fibrax Sintered pads. The best pads i have ever tried, but beware, they heat up pretty
easily, but they brake and last!

Peter