Disc brake questions ....

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Todd Day, Feb 15, 2006.

  1. Todd Day

    Todd Day Guest

    Hello to everyone ....
    I've lurked here off and on for a while and appreciate all the useful
    information I've gleaned about my favorite pastime, mountain biking.

    I've got some questions pertaining to converting from v-brakes to disc
    .... I wanted to get a few opinions before I spend any money!

    I've been riding for just over 4 years. I have a 2001 Diamondback Apex
    hardtail. I've done a few upgrades/improvements on it like replacing the
    original Koski brakes with Shimanos, switching the pedals to Times and
    converting all the drivetrain components to Shimano XTR's.

    I really like this bike. Even though it's a hardtail and most of my
    friends ride FS bikes, I'm in no hurry to switch. It just seems to fit
    me just right and is solid as a rock. The frame has withstood numerous
    crashes over 4 years with no breaks, cracks or dents. The Manitou fork
    is probably not the best, but works well under the conditions I ride.

    Now .... I've been considering upgrading to disc brakes for some time.
    Everyone I talk to and/or ride with who has them on their bike just
    raves about them.

    My questions are: Should I start out with a mechanical system, or just
    go straight to hydraulics? Is the price difference worth it? What are
    the pros and cons of both systems?

    And is it even worth putting discs on a bike like this??

    What are some recomendations for quality disc brake systems which are a
    good value for someone on a budget like me?

    I hope none of these questions are stupid ... but I'm still learning a
    lot about the sport and bikes in general and I've found there are a lot
    of different viewpoints on all those subjects.

    Thanks a ton for reading and I appreciate any help or just opinions
    anyone has.

    Mountain biking has changed my life and I want to get the most out of it
    I can!

    todd

    Tags:

  2. Todd Day wrote:
    > Hello to everyone ....
    > I've lurked here off and on for a while and appreciate all the useful
    > information I've gleaned about my favorite pastime, mountain biking.
    >
    > I've got some questions pertaining to converting from v-brakes to disc
    > ... I wanted to get a few opinions before I spend any money!
    >
    > I've been riding for just over 4 years. I have a 2001 Diamondback Apex
    > hardtail. I've done a few upgrades/improvements on it like replacing
    > the original Koski brakes with Shimanos, switching the pedals to
    > Times and converting all the drivetrain components to Shimano XTR's.
    >
    > I really like this bike. Even though it's a hardtail and most of my
    > friends ride FS bikes, I'm in no hurry to switch. It just seems to fit
    > me just right and is solid as a rock. The frame has withstood numerous
    > crashes over 4 years with no breaks, cracks or dents. The Manitou fork
    > is probably not the best, but works well under the conditions I ride.
    >
    > Now .... I've been considering upgrading to disc brakes for some time.
    > Everyone I talk to and/or ride with who has them on their bike just
    > raves about them.
    >
    > My questions are: Should I start out with a mechanical system, or just
    > go straight to hydraulics? Is the price difference worth it? What are
    > the pros and cons of both systems?
    >
    > And is it even worth putting discs on a bike like this??
    >
    > What are some recomendations for quality disc brake systems which are
    > a good value for someone on a budget like me?
    >
    > I hope none of these questions are stupid ... but I'm still learning a
    > lot about the sport and bikes in general and I've found there are a
    > lot of different viewpoints on all those subjects.
    >
    > Thanks a ton for reading and I appreciate any help or just opinions
    > anyone has.
    >
    > Mountain biking has changed my life and I want to get the most out of
    > it I can!
    >
    > todd

    If you want to start with cheap mechanicals (NOT recommended) then you can
    upgrade to good mechanicals or good hydraulics. There are few crappy
    hydraulics, but plenty of crappy discs. Avid mechanicals are generally
    reliable, cost-effective, low-maintenance, and have lots of power. Hayes
    hydraulic systems tend to be somewhat lower in power, but better in
    modulation, and a pain to maintain if something goes wrong. Avid hydraulics
    are very strong, but they haven't been out on the market for too long...
    longevity remains to be seen.
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  3. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
    > Todd Day wrote:
    >> Hello to everyone ....
    >> I've lurked here off and on for a while and appreciate all the useful
    >> information I've gleaned about my favorite pastime, mountain biking.
    >>
    >> I've got some questions pertaining to converting from v-brakes to
    >> disc ... I wanted to get a few opinions before I spend any money!
    >>
    >> I've been riding for just over 4 years. I have a 2001 Diamondback
    >> Apex hardtail. I've done a few upgrades/improvements on it like
    >> replacing the original Koski brakes with Shimanos, switching the
    >> pedals to Times and converting all the drivetrain components to
    >> Shimano XTR's.
    >>
    >> I really like this bike. Even though it's a hardtail and most of my
    >> friends ride FS bikes, I'm in no hurry to switch. It just seems to
    >> fit me just right and is solid as a rock. The frame has withstood
    >> numerous crashes over 4 years with no breaks, cracks or dents. The
    >> Manitou fork is probably not the best, but works well under the
    >> conditions I ride.
    >>
    >> Now .... I've been considering upgrading to disc brakes for some
    >> time. Everyone I talk to and/or ride with who has them on their bike
    >> just raves about them.
    >>
    >> My questions are: Should I start out with a mechanical system, or
    >> just go straight to hydraulics? Is the price difference worth it?
    >> What are the pros and cons of both systems?
    >>
    >> And is it even worth putting discs on a bike like this??
    >>
    >> What are some recomendations for quality disc brake systems which are
    >> a good value for someone on a budget like me?
    >>
    >> I hope none of these questions are stupid ... but I'm still learning
    >> a lot about the sport and bikes in general and I've found there are a
    >> lot of different viewpoints on all those subjects.
    >>
    >> Thanks a ton for reading and I appreciate any help or just opinions
    >> anyone has.
    >>
    >> Mountain biking has changed my life and I want to get the most out of
    >> it I can!
    >>
    >> todd

    > If you want to start with cheap mechanicals (NOT recommended) then
    > you can upgrade to good mechanicals or good hydraulics. There are
    > few crappy hydraulics, but plenty of crappy discs. Avid mechanicals
    > are generally reliable, cost-effective, low-maintenance, and have
    > lots of power. Hayes hydraulic systems tend to be somewhat lower in
    > power, but better in modulation, and a pain to maintain if something
    > goes wrong. Avid hydraulics are very strong, but they haven't been
    > out on the market for too long... longevity remains to be seen.

    So far the Hayes Mag lever hydraulic brakes I have on three bikes have been
    trouble free. Their HFX-9 levers have been more problematic with my
    experience with them on my friends bikes. I like how the hydraulics feel at
    the lever over cable actuated discs and have plenty of power. If you're
    really on a budget you can't go wrong with Avid Mechanicals.

    Mike

  4. Per Todd Day:
    >My questions are: Should I start out with a mechanical system, or just
    >go straight to hydraulics? Is the price difference worth it? What are
    >the pros and cons of both systems?
    >
    >And is it even worth putting discs on a bike like this??
    >
    >What are some recomendations for quality disc brake systems which are a
    >good value for someone on a budget like me?

    From a braking/modulation/control perspective, I don't think you need a disc on
    the rear. I've tried it both ways and the only reasons I went back to a rear
    disc are the noises that rim brakes make when muddy and the fact that my calves
    bump against part of the brake.

    Avid mechs are highly regarded and that's what I have as my rear brake.

    I've got a Hope C2 hydraulic on the front, but if I had it to do over again, I'd
    have an Avid Juicy for the pad interchangeability.

    For me, the main features of discs are modulation/control and consistency in the
    wet.

    I think a hydraulic gives better modulation/control than a mech, but that's not
    to say that mechs aren't perfectly acceptable.

    My experience is that disc brakes don't work all that well when wet - it's just
    that they don't get wet that often and they dry out quickly when they do.
    Try riding through a snow drift and then applying them and you'll see what I
    mean.

    The main downside to discs that I've experienced is all the weird things that
    can happen to make them noisy and/or diminish their breaking power.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  5. Mike DeMicco

    Mike DeMicco Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,

    ?

    > Avid mechanicals are generally reliable, cost-effective,
    > low-maintenance, and have lots of power. Hayes hydraulic systems
    > tend to be somewhat lower in power, but better in modulation, and a
    > pain to maintain if something goes wrong.

    This is the first I've heard that hydraulics are lower in power than
    mechanicals. Mechanicals have more friction built-in and the pads are
    farther away from the rotors, therefore they inherently have less power.
    The main problem with hydraulics is the fact that the pads are so close
    to the rotor, that often the pads rub and one of the pistons stick.
    Hydraulics are also lighter than mechanicals, but if you read the
    reviews in MTB Review, the Avid mechanicals are one of the most highly
    rated disc brakes.

    --
    Mike DeMicco <[email protected]>

  6. Todd Day wrote:
    > Hello to everyone ....
    > I've lurked here off and on for a while and appreciate all the useful
    > information I've gleaned about my favorite pastime, mountain biking.
    >
    > I've got some questions pertaining to converting from v-brakes to disc
    > .... I wanted to get a few opinions before I spend any money!
    >
    > I've been riding for just over 4 years. I have a 2001 Diamondback Apex
    > hardtail. I've done a few upgrades/improvements on it like replacing the
    > original Koski brakes with Shimanos, switching the pedals to Times and
    > converting all the drivetrain components to Shimano XTR's.
    >
    > I really like this bike. Even though it's a hardtail and most of my
    > friends ride FS bikes, I'm in no hurry to switch. It just seems to fit
    > me just right and is solid as a rock. The frame has withstood numerous
    > crashes over 4 years with no breaks, cracks or dents. The Manitou fork
    > is probably not the best, but works well under the conditions I ride.
    >
    > Now .... I've been considering upgrading to disc brakes for some time.
    > Everyone I talk to and/or ride with who has them on their bike just
    > raves about them.
    >
    > My questions are: Should I start out with a mechanical system, or just
    > go straight to hydraulics? Is the price difference worth it? What are
    > the pros and cons of both systems?
    >
    > And is it even worth putting discs on a bike like this??
    >
    > What are some recomendations for quality disc brake systems which are a
    > good value for someone on a budget like me?
    >
    > I hope none of these questions are stupid ... but I'm still learning a
    > lot about the sport and bikes in general and I've found there are a lot
    > of different viewpoints on all those subjects.
    >
    > Thanks a ton for reading and I appreciate any help or just opinions
    > anyone has.
    >
    > Mountain biking has changed my life and I want to get the most out of it
    > I can!
    >
    > todd

    If you decide to go with Avid Mechs and are interested in a used pair
    w/levers, email me.

    FYI, they were replaced by a pair if Juicys on my wife's ride. She is so
    small and light, that the feel with the mechanicals was not for her. I
    still ride Avid Mechs because I like how well they work considering how
    easy they are to own. I've bent rotors badly on the trail and it was not
    difficult to handle on the Avid Mechs.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

    Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.

  7. Todd Day

    Todd Day Guest

    Wow ....
    Many, many thanks to all who responded. A ton of great information. I've
    got my homework to do now for sure! I haven't ridden much lately due to
    work and school slamming me, time wise ... but I'm looking forward to
    going all out this spring/summer.

    You guys rock!

    todd

    Todd Day wrote:
    > Hello to everyone ....
    > I've lurked here off and on for a while and appreciate all the useful
    > information I've gleaned about my favorite pastime, mountain biking.
    >
    > I've got some questions pertaining to converting from v-brakes to disc
    > ... I wanted to get a few opinions before I spend any money!
    >
    > I've been riding for just over 4 years. I have a 2001 Diamondback Apex
    > hardtail. I've done a few upgrades/improvements on it like replacing the
    > original Koski brakes with Shimanos, switching the pedals to Times and
    > converting all the drivetrain components to Shimano XTR's.
    >
    > I really like this bike. Even though it's a hardtail and most of my
    > friends ride FS bikes, I'm in no hurry to switch. It just seems to fit
    > me just right and is solid as a rock. The frame has withstood numerous
    > crashes over 4 years with no breaks, cracks or dents. The Manitou fork
    > is probably not the best, but works well under the conditions I ride.
    >
    > Now .... I've been considering upgrading to disc brakes for some time.
    > Everyone I talk to and/or ride with who has them on their bike just
    > raves about them.
    >
    > My questions are: Should I start out with a mechanical system, or just
    > go straight to hydraulics? Is the price difference worth it? What are
    > the pros and cons of both systems?
    >
    > And is it even worth putting discs on a bike like this??
    >
    > What are some recomendations for quality disc brake systems which are a
    > good value for someone on a budget like me?
    >
    > I hope none of these questions are stupid ... but I'm still learning a
    > lot about the sport and bikes in general and I've found there are a lot
    > of different viewpoints on all those subjects.
    >
    > Thanks a ton for reading and I appreciate any help or just opinions
    > anyone has.
    >
    > Mountain biking has changed my life and I want to get the most out of it
    > I can!
    >
    > todd

  8. Steve B.

    Steve B. Guest

    "Todd Day" <[email protected]> wrote in message > Wow ....
    > Many, many thanks to all who responded. A ton of great information. I've
    > got my homework to do now for sure! I haven't ridden much lately due to
    > work and school slamming me, time wise ... but I'm looking forward to
    > going all out this spring/summer.

    Some additional thoughts: I'm considering the same upgrade, and stand
    corrected if any of the info below is in error

    - Do you need new wheels ?, do you have disc ready hubs ?, and or frame
    ("I'm not doing any research as to the bike). New decent wheels are
    $300/pair

    - Are your levers integrated with the shifters ?. If so, and I know they
    are V capable, you may want to stick with mechanical discs so as to not have
    to get hydraulic levers, plus either a shifter pod mount/or new shifters.

    - Is the bike worth the xtra $300 for wheels, plus $150 or so for Avid
    BB7's, plus cables ?.

    - I'd recommend the BB7's as that's the mechanical brake to have, if you
    don't want/can't do hydraulic. Some research I did indicated that pads for
    BB5's are scarce, as well as being different then the BB7 pads, which are
    very common.

    SB
    ..

  9. Per Craig Brossman:
    >FYI, they were replaced by a pair if Juicys on my wife's ride. She is so
    >small and light, that the feel with the mechanicals was not for her. I
    >still ride Avid Mechs because I like how well they work considering how
    >easy they are to own. I've bent rotors badly on the trail and it was not
    >difficult to handle on the Avid Mechs.

    Did you notice any difference in modulation between an Avid mech and a Juicy on
    the front wheel?

    When I tried an Avid mech on my front wheel, I thought it was a little grabby -
    but wrote it off to something about the pad/rotor combination and went back to
    my Hope C2.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  10. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    "Todd Day" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hello to everyone ....
    >
    > My questions are: Should I start out with a mechanical system, or just
    > go straight to hydraulics? Is the price difference worth it? What are
    > the pros and cons of both systems?

    First ensure your bike has disc brake tabs on both the fork and
    the frame. If not, your choice is easy.

    If you go mechanical, you don't have to change your brake
    levers. If you go hydraulics, you change everything! Are they
    worth the $$$ diff? I don't know since I've never ridden a
    bike with good hydraulics.

    Avid mechs are reliable and affordable. I put Avid mechs on
    mine and they work well for my type of riding, which is purely
    XC. Disc brakes especially work well in wet conditions, like
    stream crossings, slight rain, etc. I generally don't ride in
    extreme wet conditions.

    > And is it even worth putting discs on a bike like this??

    Only can truly answer that question. If you're happy with
    your current system, why change and spend time and $$$.

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA

  11. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Per Craig Brossman:
    > >FYI, they were replaced by a pair if Juicys on my wife's ride. She is so
    > >small and light, that the feel with the mechanicals was not for her. I
    > >still ride Avid Mechs because I like how well they work considering how
    > >easy they are to own. I've bent rotors badly on the trail and it was not
    > >difficult to handle on the Avid Mechs.

    > Did you notice any difference in modulation between an Avid mech and a

    Juicy on
    > the front wheel?

    I'm still thinking about switching from a Juicy to a mech on the rear. I've
    re-bled the rear and I'm still getting brake fade issues with it. No
    problems whatsoever on the front. Even though the rear appears to be
    bubble-free after the bleed I do a couple of short, steep downhills
    scrubbing the rear brake and it fades to nothing. I look at the reservoir
    at the lever and there are gigantic bubbles. This is with fresh, unopened
    fluid.

    Greg

  12. (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > Per Craig Brossman:
    >> FYI, they were replaced by a pair if Juicys on my wife's ride. She
    >> is so small and light, that the feel with the mechanicals was not
    >> for her. I still ride Avid Mechs because I like how well they work
    >> considering how easy they are to own. I've bent rotors badly on the
    >> trail and it was not difficult to handle on the Avid Mechs.

    > Did you notice any difference in modulation between an Avid mech and
    > a Juicy on the front wheel?

    I noticed that there was more juicy modulation compared to the mechs, but
    the power still ramped up pretty quick with lever pressure. The mechs are
    always grabby.

    > When I tried an Avid mech on my front wheel, I thought it was a
    > little grabby - but wrote it off to something about the pad/rotor
    > combination and went back to my Hope C2.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  13. Todd Day

    Todd Day Guest

    Craig,
    Thanks for the response ..... what are you asking for the brakes? I'm
    still going to look up some stuff but thought I'd ask ... I ran your
    email by a guy at work who rides and he said he had not heard anything
    bad about the Avid's and it sounded like a good offer.

    Let me know and I'll mull it over ........

    todd

  14. G.T. wrote:
    > "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Per Craig Brossman:
    > > >FYI, they were replaced by a pair if Juicys on my wife's ride. She is so
    > > >small and light, that the feel with the mechanicals was not for her. I
    > > >still ride Avid Mechs because I like how well they work considering how
    > > >easy they are to own. I've bent rotors badly on the trail and it was not
    > > >difficult to handle on the Avid Mechs.

    > > Did you notice any difference in modulation between an Avid mech and a

    > Juicy on
    > > the front wheel?
    > >

    > I'm still thinking about switching from a Juicy to a mech on the rear. I've
    > re-bled the rear and I'm still getting brake fade issues with it. No
    > problems whatsoever on the front. Even though the rear appears to be
    > bubble-free after the bleed I do a couple of short, steep downhills
    > scrubbing the rear brake and it fades to nothing. I look at the reservoir
    > at the lever and there are gigantic bubbles. This is with fresh, unopened
    > fluid.

    Are you following the bleed instructions to the letter? I ask because
    we just finished swithing a whole team over to Avids (and goodridge
    lines). One of the mechanics was using the "traditional" purge through
    or power bleed ... nothing but fade problems. We went back, started by
    de-gassing the fluid, bled the caliper with the master cylinder closed,
    bled the line (MC open), then bled the master cylinder with the caliper
    closed. Now all the brakes work perfectly.

    The really amazing part for most of the mechanics was de-gassing fresh
    fuild ... draw a vacum on the syringe, and watch the bubbles form ...
    just like being bent.

  15. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > G.T. wrote:
    > >

    > > I'm still thinking about switching from a Juicy to a mech on the rear.

    I've
    > > re-bled the rear and I'm still getting brake fade issues with it. No
    > > problems whatsoever on the front. Even though the rear appears to be
    > > bubble-free after the bleed I do a couple of short, steep downhills
    > > scrubbing the rear brake and it fades to nothing. I look at the

    reservoir
    > > at the lever and there are gigantic bubbles. This is with fresh,

    unopened
    > > fluid.

    > Are you following the bleed instructions to the letter? I ask because
    > we just finished swithing a whole team over to Avids (and goodridge
    > lines). One of the mechanics was using the "traditional" purge through
    > or power bleed ... nothing but fade problems. We went back, started by
    > de-gassing the fluid, bled the caliper with the master cylinder closed,
    > bled the line (MC open), then bled the master cylinder with the caliper
    > closed. Now all the brakes work perfectly.
    >
    > The really amazing part for most of the mechanics was de-gassing fresh
    > fuild ... draw a vacum on the syringe, and watch the bubbles form ...
    > just like being bent.

    I followed them to a T. But, this last time I once again was hurried so
    maybe I'll sit down when I have zero distractions and do it once more.

    Goodridges are now available for Avid? I hadn't checked for awhile.

    Greg

  16. What brand of disk hubs do you have in mind?

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    "

  17. The Avid mechanical brake isn't that much better than a V-Brake, but
    the brake is very trouble-free and easy to install and maintain.
    Changing the pads takes just a few seconds. Probably you should wait
    for the brake until you need a new wheel, if you're trying to save
    money,though.

    The 6-inch Avid will fade on a long steep descent, though. (For
    example, Julie Creek near Lowman, Idaho.)

    http://www.gpstrailmaps.com/idaho/JulieCreek/JulieCreek.html

    Dave

  18. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    I haven't read your other responses, but putting disks on that bike is
    kinda like putting a dress on a pig, no offense intended. I have a
    Diamondback Outlook that is similar to yours that I keep around for a
    loaner. I can't imagine going from v-brakes to discs on that, what
    with buying new wheels, buying the brakes, etc. and still having an
    old-school hardtail.

    I have Avid mechanicals on the Rev, and love them, but good avids on
    the other mtnbikes, and they work just fine. But if you find yourself
    on long, sustained downhills, and you're gonna keep the bike, you
    wouldn't regret the ease you'll get on your hands by using discs over
    rim brakes.

    YMMV, but hey.

    CDB

  19. (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > Per Craig Brossman:
    >> FYI, they were replaced by a pair if Juicys on my wife's ride. She is so
    >> small and light, that the feel with the mechanicals was not for her. I
    >> still ride Avid Mechs because I like how well they work considering how
    >> easy they are to own. I've bent rotors badly on the trail and it was not
    >> difficult to handle on the Avid Mechs.

    > Did you notice any difference in modulation between an Avid mech and a Juicy on
    > the front wheel?
    >
    > When I tried an Avid mech on my front wheel, I thought it was a little grabby -
    > but wrote it off to something about the pad/rotor combination and went back to
    > my Hope C2.

    My wife went from the Avid Mechs. to the Juicys, but she did complain
    about grabby nature of mechs. I notice a bit as well, but I'm going
    faster and carry more weight, so it is not a problem for me.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

    Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.

  20. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
    > I'm thinking about switching my Hayes Mags to Avid Mechs because pad
    > adjustment is so easy.

    You can send them to me. ;^)