Disc Brake Rotor Size

Rk

Guest
I am looking to convert to the Avid Mechanical disc brakes
and have been reviewing the different rotor sizes. I am a
200lb XC rider and was thinking of 160mm in front and 185mm
in back. Any comments, recommendations, or suggestions.

Thanks.

RK

"RK" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I am looking to convert to the Avid Mechanical disc brakes
> and have been reviewing the different rotor sizes. I am a
> 200lb XC rider and was thinking of 160mm in front and
> 185mm in back. Any comments, recommendations, or
> suggestions.
>
> Thanks.
>
> RK

If you were to go with 1 bigger rotor, wouldnt you go with
the larger one in the front?

"Brett Jaffee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "RK" <[email protected]> wrote in news:KcFFc.185791$Gx4.175143@bgtnsc04-
> news.ops.worldnet.att.net:
>
> > I am looking to convert to the Avid Mechanical disc
> > brakes and have been reviewing the different rotor
> > sizes. I am a 200lb XC rider and was thinking of 160mm
> > in front and 185mm in back. Any comments,
> > recommendations, or suggestions.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > RK
> >

> If you were to go with 1 bigger rotor, wouldnt you go with
> the larger one in the front?

Yes, and since size does matter, go with 160 front, and
rear.

mojo deluxe wrote:

> "Brett Jaffee" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]
> .125.203...
>> "RK" <[email protected]> wrote in news:KcFFc.185791$Gx4.175143@bgtnsc04-
>> news.ops.worldnet.att.net:
>>
>> > I am looking to convert to the Avid Mechanical disc
>> > brakes and have been reviewing the different rotor
>> > sizes. I am a 200lb XC rider and was thinking of 160mm
>> > in front and 185mm in back. Any comments,
>> > recommendations, or suggestions.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > RK
>> >

>> If you were to go with 1 bigger rotor, wouldnt you go
>> with the larger one in the front?
>
> Yes, and since size does matter, go with 160 front,
> and rear.

You are a sick man, mojo... just what are you
suggesting here, exactly?? I hereby sentence you to
punishment by Sorni.

OP: Since your Avids will probably come with 160mm rotors
stock, try it out and see if they stop you fast enough, if
they don't, try upgrading the front rotor to 185mm.

John M

RK wrote:

> I am looking to convert to the Avid Mechanical disc brakes
> and have been reviewing the different rotor sizes. I am a
> 200lb XC rider and was thinking of 160mm in front and
> 185mm in back. Any comments, recommendations, or
> suggestions.

You should always put your strongest brake on the
front. That being said I'd throw a 140mm on the rear if
they made one.

Greg
--
Destroy your safe and happy lives Before it is too late The
battles we fought were long and hard Just not to be consumed

"John Morgan" <[email protected]
> > Yes, and since size does matter, go with 160 front,
> > and rear.
>
> You are a sick man, mojo... just what are you suggesting
> here, exactly??
> hereby sentence you to punishment by Sorni.
>
> OP: Since your Avids will probably come with 160mm rotors
> stock, try it
out
> and see if they stop you fast enough, if they don't, try
> upgrading the front rotor to 185mm.
>
> John M

Yes this guy has it right. Bigger in the front is better.
Under normal flat conditions your front brake provide
roughly 70% of your stopping force.

It becomes even more DH. And if you have a single pivot bike
the rear will brake jack DH thereby decreasing it's ability
to stop you.

The front is mucho important my friend.

Thanks for everybody's input. Looks like I will start with
160 front and rear.

RK

"Loomer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "John Morgan" <[email protected]
> > > Yes, and since size does matter, go with 160 front,
> > > and rear.
> >
> > You are a sick man, mojo... just what are you suggesting
> > here, exactly??
> > hereby sentence you to punishment by Sorni.
> >
> > OP: Since your Avids will probably come with 160mm
> > rotors stock, try it
> out
> > and see if they stop you fast enough, if they don't, try
> > upgrading the front rotor to 185mm.
> >
> > John M
>
> Yes this guy has it right. Bigger in the front is better.
> Under normal flat conditions your front brake provide
> roughly 70% of your stopping
force.

> It becomes even more DH. And if you have a single pivot
> bike the rear
will
> brake jack DH thereby decreasing it's ability to stop you.
>
> The front is mucho important my friend.

RE/
>I am a 200lb XC rider and was thinking of 160mm in front
>and 185mm in back. Any comments, recommendations, or
>suggestions.

You've got it backwards. Use the larger rotor in the front.

I've got a Hope 180 in the front and an Avid 160 in the
rear.

Tried Avid's 180 in the front, but it was kind of grabby.
Probably a pad issue instead of a design issue...but I
couldn't make make it right so I reverted to the Hope.
--
PeteCresswell

"John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> mojo deluxe wrote:
>

> > "Brett Jaffee" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message news:[email protected]
> > 17.125.203...
> >> "RK" <[email protected]> wrote in news:KcFFc.185791$Gx4.175143@bgtnsc04-
> >> news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

> >> If you were to go with 1 bigger rotor, wouldnt you go
> >> with the larger
one
> >> in the front?
> >
> > Yes, and since size does matter, go with 160 front,
> > and rear.
>
> You are a sick man, mojo... just what are you suggesting
> here, exactly??
> hereby sentence you to punishment by Sorni.
>
> OP: Since your Avids will probably come with 160mm rotors
> stock, try it
out
> and see if they stop you fast enough, if they don't, try
> upgrading the front rotor to 185mm.
>
> John M

i have 180mm front and 175mm back hope hydrolics c1 and c3
brakes there the best,