Disc Brake Rotor Size

RK

Guest
I am looking to convert to the Avid Mechanical disc brakes and have been
reviewing the different rotor sizes. I am a 200lb XC rider and was thinking
of 160mm in front and 185mm in back. Any comments, recommendations, or
suggestions.

Thanks.

RK

"RK" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I am looking to convert to the Avid Mechanical disc brakes and have
> been reviewing the different rotor sizes. I am a 200lb XC rider and
> was thinking of 160mm in front and 185mm in back. Any comments,
> recommendations, or suggestions.
>
> Thanks.
>
> RK

If you were to go with 1 bigger rotor, wouldnt you go with the larger one
in the front?

"Brett Jaffee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "RK" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > I am looking to convert to the Avid Mechanical disc brakes and have
> > been reviewing the different rotor sizes. I am a 200lb XC rider and
> > was thinking of 160mm in front and 185mm in back. Any comments,
> > recommendations, or suggestions.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > RK
> >

> If you were to go with 1 bigger rotor, wouldnt you go with the larger one
> in the front?

Yes, and since size does matter, go with 160 front, and rear.

mojo deluxe wrote:

> "Brett Jaffee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "RK" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> news:[email protected]:
>>
>> > I am looking to convert to the Avid Mechanical disc brakes and have
>> > been reviewing the different rotor sizes. I am a 200lb XC rider and
>> > was thinking of 160mm in front and 185mm in back. Any comments,
>> > recommendations, or suggestions.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > RK
>> >

>> If you were to go with 1 bigger rotor, wouldnt you go with the larger one
>> in the front?

> Yes, and since size does matter, go with 160 front, and rear.

You are a sick man, mojo... just what are you suggesting here, exactly?? I
hereby sentence you to punishment by Sorni.

OP: Since your Avids will probably come with 160mm rotors stock, try it out
and see if they stop you fast enough, if they don't, try upgrading the
front rotor to 185mm.

John M

RK wrote:

> I am looking to convert to the Avid Mechanical disc brakes and have been
> reviewing the different rotor sizes. I am a 200lb XC rider and was thinking
> of 160mm in front and 185mm in back. Any comments, recommendations, or
> suggestions.

You should always put your strongest brake on the front. That being
said I'd throw a 140mm on the rear if they made one.

Greg
--
Destroy your safe and happy lives
Before it is too late

"John Morgan" <[email protected]
> > Yes, and since size does matter, go with 160 front, and rear.

> You are a sick man, mojo... just what are you suggesting here, exactly??

> hereby sentence you to punishment by Sorni.
>
> OP: Since your Avids will probably come with 160mm rotors stock, try it

out
> and see if they stop you fast enough, if they don't, try upgrading the
> front rotor to 185mm.
>
> John M

Yes this guy has it right. Bigger in the front is better. Under normal
flat conditions your front brake provide roughly 70% of your stopping force.

It becomes even more DH. And if you have a single pivot bike the rear will
brake jack DH thereby decreasing it's ability to stop you.

The front is mucho important my friend.

Thanks for everybody's input. Looks like I will start with 160 front and
rear.

RK

"Loomer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "John Morgan" <[email protected]
> > > Yes, and since size does matter, go with 160 front, and rear.

> > You are a sick man, mojo... just what are you suggesting here, exactly??

> > hereby sentence you to punishment by Sorni.
> >
> > OP: Since your Avids will probably come with 160mm rotors stock, try it

> out
> > and see if they stop you fast enough, if they don't, try upgrading the
> > front rotor to 185mm.
> >
> > John M

> Yes this guy has it right. Bigger in the front is better. Under normal
> flat conditions your front brake provide roughly 70% of your stopping

force.

> It becomes even more DH. And if you have a single pivot bike the rear

will
> brake jack DH thereby decreasing it's ability to stop you.
>
> The front is mucho important my friend.

RE/
>I am a 200lb XC rider and was thinking
>of 160mm in front and 185mm in back. Any comments, recommendations, or
>suggestions.

You've got it backwards. Use the larger rotor in the front.

I've got a Hope 180 in the front and an Avid 160 in the rear.

Tried Avid's 180 in the front, but it was kind of grabby. Probably a pad issue
instead of a design issue...but I couldn't make make it right so I reverted to
the Hope.
--
PeteCresswell

"John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> mojo deluxe wrote:
>

> > "Brett Jaffee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> "RK" <[email protected]> wrote in
> >> news:[email protected]:

> >> If you were to go with 1 bigger rotor, wouldnt you go with the larger

one
> >> in the front?

> > Yes, and since size does matter, go with 160 front, and rear.

> You are a sick man, mojo... just what are you suggesting here, exactly??

> hereby sentence you to punishment by Sorni.
>
> OP: Since your Avids will probably come with 160mm rotors stock, try it

out
> and see if they stop you fast enough, if they don't, try upgrading the
> front rotor to 185mm.
>
> John M

i have 180mm front and 175mm back hope hydrolics c1 and c3 brakes there the
best,