Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Disc Brake Squeal... any fix? (long)

Started by amirm · · Last activity · 5 posts · 673 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
22 January 2004
Last activity
22 January 2004
Original author
amirm
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
673
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I recently got a bike with Shimano 525 hydraulic disc brakes. I tried to
    bed in the brand new brakes when I got the bike by riding up and down a
    steep road and by repeated braking to almost full stop and riding away
    again. That seems to have worked well. Now the complaint is with the
    rear brake making vibration-related noise. First, it sounds worse when
    tyres (with big knobby patterns) are inflated to max. Second, the higher
    the speed the noisier it becomes. Third, it happens only during
    pedalling, and squeal almost disappears as soon as I stop pedalling.
    Fourth, when the brake is busy making the annoying noise, if I lightly
    apply rear brake, the squeal turns off.

    With cars, this type of squeal, especially when going away if brakes are
    applied, is due to the springs retaining brake pads. I assume that a
    similar concept is used in bike brakes, too.

    Does anyone share this problem? If yes, is there any fix?

    By the way, the bike is over 200 km now, and the rear brake does not
    make as much noise. Would it mean that it might go away over time?

    Cheers.

    --

  2. "amirm" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Third, it happens only during pedalling, and squeal almost disappears


    as

    Quoted message said:

    soon as I stop pedalling.

    Are you sure it's the brakes then? Maybe frame flex when you pedal
    is moving the disc rotor onto the calipers? You should be able to
    adjust this - I don't have disc so I don't know how, but there are
    many websites on this topic.

    Quoted message said:

    Fourth, when the brake is busy making the annoying noise, if I lightly
    apply rear brake, the squeal turns off.

    It does sound like the rotor/calipers need slight adjustment...

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/sportscotland/airtight/mtb/tech_tips/sqeal
    ing_hopes.shtml

    Lots of the mtb forums will be able to help:
    e.g. www.mtbr.com Techtalks section.

    hth
    hippy

  3. Ok, a lot of disks vibrate on the frame mount which causes noise. It i
    like frames have this inbuilt harmonic preset in them

    What you have to do to stop vibration related noises.....first, alig
    the caliper properly. Make sure it is centred and not toeing in or out
    Now, tighten all those bolts. Ensure you disk is screwed onto the hu
    tight too

    If all else fails, just spray WD40 on your disk, then there will b
    vibration related noises..

    -

  4. onegeargimp said:

    Ok, a lot of disks vibrate on the frame mount which causes noise. It is
    like frames have this inbuilt harmonic preset in them.
    What you have to do to stop vibration related noises.....first, align
    the caliper properly. Make sure it is centred and not toeing in or out.
    Now, tighten all those bolts. Ensure you disk is screwed onto the hub
    tight too.
    If all else fails, just spray WD40 on your disk, then there will be
    vibration related noises...

    Thanks onegeargimp!

    With WD40 on my rotors I'm gonna be REAL FAST in downhills!! 😉

    I don't have any experience with disc brakes. Before following your
    instructions, I need to read some tech stuff so I know how to do the
    adjustment properly. The long weekend is a good time to do this. 🙂

    Cheers, Amir.

    --

  5. Hippy said:

    "amirm" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:oTFPb.38-
    [email hidden]:[email hidden]-
    etserver.com...

    Quoted message said:

    Third, it happens only during pedalling, and squeal almost disappears


    as

    Quoted message said:

    soon as I stop pedalling.


    Are you sure it's the brakes then? Maybe frame flex when you pedal is
    moving the disc rotor onto the calipers? You should be able to adjust
    this - I don't have disc so I don't know how, but there are many
    websites on this topic.

    Quoted message said:

    Fourth, when the brake is busy making the annoying noise, if I lightly
    apply rear brake, the squeal turns off.


    It does sound like the rotor/calipers need slight adjustment...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/sportscotland/airtight/mtb/tech_tips/sqea-
    lhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/sportscotland/airtight/mtb/tech_tips/sqe-
    al ing_hopes.shtml
    Lots of the mtb forums will be able to help:
    e.g. www.mtbr.com Techtalks section.
    hth hippy

    Hippy:

    Actually, part of the noise is due to flex. Today while riding I was
    coasting (no pedalling), so there was no noise at that speed. Then
    without cranking, I pushed my right foot down and pulled the left one
    up, and there came the noise! So flex at BB point is a problem.

    I think what I have been complaining about had two components: one
    general squealing (more of a vibration-related noise), and the other flex-
    related. The vibration-related noise is progressively residing, and if I
    can adjust the rotor for flex, then my problem will be solved. Thanks
    for the URLs. I'm gonna try them.

    Cheers, Amir.

    --

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.