disc brake tolerance - what is best

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by N Grover, Oct 18, 2003.

  1. N Grover

    N Grover Guest

    I have a Trek 9.8 which requires two adapters just to mount my Hayes caliper. I am having a hard
    time keeping the caliper adjusted so that the brakes don't drag with all the flex.

    I've heard that the XTR disc brake retaining pins keep falling out. I assume MBA doesn't experience
    this as they have nothing but praise for the XTR calipers. What do they do to prevent this? What
    brakes are easiest to maintain so that they exhibit the least amount of drag (which brakes have the
    largest amount of tolerance between pad and rotor)? Does anyone have any prelimenary thoughts on the
    new Avid Juicy brakes and would they solve my problem?

    Tags:

  2. Jack

    Jack Guest

    "N Grover" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > I have a Trek 9.8 which requires two adapters just to mount my Hayes caliper. I am having a hard
    > time keeping the caliper adjusted so that the brakes don't drag with all the flex.
    >
    > I've heard that the XTR disc brake retaining pins keep falling out. I assume MBA doesn't
    > experience this as they have nothing but praise for the XTR calipers. What do they do to prevent
    > this? What brakes are easiest to maintain so that they exhibit the least amount of drag (which
    > brakes have the largest amount of tolerance between pad and rotor)? Does anyone have any
    > prelimenary thoughts on the new Avid Juicy brakes and would they solve my problem?

    The Trek 8500 comes equipped with the XT Deore. I would assume you won't have to use double adapters
    with this setup.

  3. Super Slinky

    Super Slinky Guest

    N Grover said...

    > I have a Trek 9.8 which requires two adapters just to mount my Hayes caliper. I am having a hard
    > time keeping the caliper adjusted so that the brakes don't drag with all the flex.
    >
    > I've heard that the XTR disc brake retaining pins keep falling out. I assume MBA doesn't
    > experience this as they have nothing but praise for the XTR calipers. What do they do to prevent
    > this? What brakes are easiest to maintain so that they exhibit the least amount of drag (which
    > brakes have the largest amount of tolerance between pad and rotor)? Does anyone have any
    > prelimenary thoughts on the new Avid Juicy brakes and would they solve my problem?

    Avid mechanicals are easy to set up without drag and you can give them as much clearance as you want
    since they aren't self-adjusting. I found Hayes hydraulics to be easy enough to set up without drag,
    but not as easy as the Avids. The self-adjusting nature of hydraulics makes sure there isn't that
    much space between the pads and rotor, so you have to check them periodically and readjust as
    necessary.