Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Disc Brakes

Started by kwa_zulu · · Last activity · 5 posts · 1,884 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
4 January 2005
Last activity
6 January 2005
Original author
kwa_zulu
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,884
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all

    May I start by saying happy new year to you all.

    [font='Times New Roman']Here’s my question ... about 6 months ago I bought a Giant Inova Hybrid 27 gear bike for my wife which has disc brakes front and rear. We have had no problems until now but she has noticed a squeaking noise coming from the front brakes, which is very annoying. I have read somewhere that this could be vibration or that the disc its self is dirty. I took the bike to the bike shop for them to take a look and they say that the pads are contaminated, does this mean I have to change the pads or can they be fixed? If they can’t be fixed does anyone know a site that explains in detail how to change them? also are their different pads for different types of disc brake.[/font]
    [font='Times New Roman'][/font]
    [font='Times New Roman']Regards Steve[/font]

  2. There are generally two types of contaminated.

    There is the type that is mud and grit and all that nice junk one can pick up on a road. That is easily cleaned off by sanding usually. Take a sheet of 120 grit or so sandpaper on a table and make circular motions with the pad. After the first few strokes, make sure not to overlap the grindings as this would defeat the purpose. You don't want to take off a ton, just enough to get the bad part off.

    THe other type is the lubricant contaminant. This is brake fluid, chain oil, bearing lube, sometimes even exhaust(I parked next to a tractor once).
    This is a much harder one to fix. It involves getting a can of Brakleen parts cleaner(good to have anyway) the afore mentioned sanding, and a clean white t-shirt. As you sand, rinse it with the brakleen, then run it over the rag. Eventually you will see a change in color, assuming it was pretty bad.

    For type 2 I generally will just replace the pads unless they are really new. Once they have a few hard stops on them the oils are fused through the compund and there is no real good way to help it.

    Hope that answered a few things.

  3. Conniebiker said:

    There are generally two types of contaminated.

    There is the type that is mud and grit and all that nice junk one can pick up on a road. That is easily cleaned off by sanding usually. Take a sheet of 120 grit or so sandpaper on a table and make circular motions with the pad. After the first few strokes, make sure not to overlap the grindings as this would defeat the purpose. You don't want to take off a ton, just enough to get the bad part off.

    THe other type is the lubricant contaminant. This is brake fluid, chain oil, bearing lube, sometimes even exhaust(I parked next to a tractor once).
    This is a much harder one to fix. It involves getting a can of Brakleen parts cleaner(good to have anyway) the afore mentioned sanding, and a clean white t-shirt. As you sand, rinse it with the brakleen, then run it over the rag. Eventually you will see a change in color, assuming it was pretty bad.

    For type 2 I generally will just replace the pads unless they are really new. Once they have a few hard stops on them the oils are fused through the compund and there is no real good way to help it.

    Hope that answered a few things.

    Thank you very much for your reply, If the sanding doesn't work then I will have to buy new pads, now is their different types of pads out there.

    Regards Steve

  4. The pad types are mostly proprietary, but I will try to give some guidelines.

    Stock Compound(usually works adequate in the widest array of conditions.)
    Soft Compund (Designed for grip-is-everything riding, but suffers in durability)
    Hard Compound (Made for extreme/adverse conditions such as sandy or muddy trails).
    There are more varieties out there, but I beleive it would do little to elaborate further. Due to varied conditions/ride styles, I think the LBS is probbably most accurate to reccomend type. That is unless your stock ones were satisfactory(which they usually are).

  5. Thx for all your help, I have managed to get the pads out and sanded them with smooth sandpaper I also cleaned the disc's with a degreaser and put everything back together. At first it seemed to have worked but the squeeking came back so it looks like I will have to buy new pads afterall. We are doing the tassie bike ride in a couple of weeks along the west coast which is very hilly, I guess then it would be best to buy a softer compound then.

    Thx again for all your help Conniebiker

    Regards Steve

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.