Disc brakes and aluminum nipples. - bad idea?

Stein Ballangru

Guest
Because all the braking force is transferred through the spokes and nipples on a disc brake wheel,
is it a bad idea to use aluminum nipples for such wheels, or are they strong enough.

I'm talking about DT Competition spokes and DT standard Alu nipples in this specific case.

Thanks.

Stein

Stein Ballangrud Andersen wrote:

> Because all the braking force is transferred through the spokes and nipples on a disc brake wheel,
> is it a bad idea to use aluminum nipples=

> for such wheels, or are they strong enough.

I don't see any reason that should be a problem, if they're properly=20 lubricated, the spokes are
long enough, and you're using a rim with eyele= ts.

Sheldon "Aluminum Nipples Require A Bit More Care" Brown +-----------------------------------------------------------------
+
|=CA=CA This message has been sent to you using recycled electrons=CA=CA=CA=

|=CA=CA=CA=CA=CA=CA exclusively.=CA Please do not discard them after use,=
=CA=CA=CA=CA=CA=CA |
|=CA=CA=CA=CA send them along and help conserve these irreplaceable=CA=CA=
=CA=CA=CA=CA |
|=CA=CA=CA=CA=CA=CA=CA=CA=CA=CA sub-atomic resources for future generatio=
ns.=CA=CA=CA=CA=CA=CA=CA=CA=CA | +-----------------------------------------------------------------+
Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
http://sheldonbrown.com

* Sheldon Brown
> Stein Ballangrud Andersen wrote:
>
> > Because all the braking force is transferred through the spokes and nipples on a disc brake
> > wheel, is it a bad idea to use aluminum nipples for such wheels, or are they strong enough.
>
> I don't see any reason that should be a problem, if they're properly lubricated, the spokes are
> long enough, and you're using a rim with eyelets.

Thanks. All of this is in order. I just wanted to conirm that the aluminum nipples can take the
load, since this is the first disc brake wheelset that I build.

Stein

* Sheldon Brown
> Stein Ballangrud Andersen wrote:
>
> > Because all the braking force is transferred through the spokes and nipples on a disc brake
> > wheel, is it a bad idea to use aluminum nipples for such wheels, or are they strong enough.
>
> I don't see any reason that should be a problem, if they're properly lubricated, the spokes are
> long enough, and you're using a rim with eyelets.

Thanks. All of this is OK. I just wanted to conirm that the aluminum nipples can take the load,
since this is the first disc brake wheelset that I build.

Stein

* Qui si parla Campagnolo
> stein-<< Thanks. All of this is OK. I just wanted to conirm that the aluminum nipples can take the
> load, since this is the first disc brake wheelset that I build. >><BR><BR>
>
> Gotta ask tho, on this bike discussion group, why aluminum nipps? Brass would be a better
> choice, IMO.

Well. The Competition spokes comes with them, they save some weight (although very little), and as a
bonus, they look nice. I agree that brass would be a safer choice. I was merely wondering if the
aluminum nipples were good _enough_.

Stein