disc brakes disc brakes..

dan0512

Oct 14, 2004
Hello, I've been riding on a new bike lately, but I feel that I don't have enough brake power at the front, so I've considered installing a set at the front. I know I need a new rim, and my fork has the 51mm attachment system. I was looking at some brakes, and found some Hayes, Shimano, Suntour, and Avid brakes on the $50-60 range. Which one would fit my needs the best, and where can I buy rims for relatively cheap? thanks

Dan

dan0512 said:
Hello, I've been riding on a new bike lately, but I feel that I don't have enough brake power at the front, so I've considered installing a set at the front. I know I need a new rim, and my fork has the 51mm attachment system. I was looking at some brakes, and found some Hayes, Shimano, Suntour, and Avid brakes on the $50-60 range. Which one would fit my needs the best, and where can I buy rims for relatively cheap? thanks

Dan

I am using the Avid BB disc brakes on the back of our tandem and they work a treat. Easy to install, adjust and they just use an ordinary brake cable so you never have to worry about bleeding or having the correct fluid available.
The avid is so far the best disc for tandems and if they work for a tandem they should be fine for a single.
I know a couple that tried the hope brkes and boiled the fluid, which melted the brake line. Not what you want on a long down hill

dan0512 said:
..I feel that I don't have enough brake power at the front, ... I know I need a new rim,
You don't need a new rim, but you do need a new hub, and quite probably a half set of new spokes.
If you don't feel the need for top quality pieces I'd suggest you buy a Shimano Deore disc brake wheel straight off. Or you can pick out a disc brake hub and have someone reassemble (most parts) of your current wheel around that.
mtbr.com have a decent set of reviews on disc brakes, and many seem to like the Avid mech.

I now have an Alex rim at the front, with a shimano hub, I'll go count the spokes and see if I can find a match. good thing you told me, because I wouldn't have wanted to buy a whole wheel, that would have increased the intl. shipping charges dramatically.

Dan

Okay, found that my current hub is 36 hole, so the shimano hub should be compatible. About the spokes, can I use the old ones, or do I have to purchase a new set, and is hub installtion something that the average guy can do?

Dan

dan0512 said:
Okay, found that my current hub is 36 hole, so the shimano hub should be compatible.
Don't worry about rim/ hub compatibility issues. As long as the hole number match (and there are ways around that too) you can use any rim with any hub as long as the spoke length matches.
About the spokes, can I use the old ones, or do I have to purchase a new set,
It is very probable that you can reuse the spokes on the non-disc side, but you might have to replace the spokes on the disc side. Check out the spoke calculator at http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fuseaction=spokes.bike and see what it says.
and is hub installation something that the average guy can do?
Well, I consider myself fairly average and I can do it. Read up on wheelbuilding a bit, keep another wheel at hand to look at lacing and take your time. It's hard to build a wheel fast and perfect, but slow and adequate should be well within anybody's reach.

Okay I'll do some measuring and see If I can come up with some measurements...BTW, which is the cheapest site to buy mtb stuff?

dan

Ok I'm on some trouble here....I'm a noob so I wasn't able to use the spoke lenght thing, but could anyone give me the lenght of the spokes they are using and the kind of the hub?

Dan

dan0512 said:
Ok I'm on some trouble here....I'm a noob so I wasn't able to use the spoke lenght thing,
What's your problem?

Go to the spoke calc, enter Rim type 26" mtb, then pick your rim out from the list. Enter hub type other, then pick your new hub out from the list. Add number spokes + number of of crosses further down (3x) and hit calculate.