Disc Brakes On Dual Suspension Off Road

steve_18798

Feb 15, 2007
Hey guys just wondering what the advantages are of having disc brakes over v-type brakes would be if any on a dual suspension bike. I was going to put discs on my rear only and go off road racing with my friends in windsor on ganatchio trail. Any help with this matter would greatly be appreciated, Thanks!!!

go disc both ends -- you'd have to be a weakling weight weenie to care about the weight diff, and the discs f/r will stop you if you're rolling down a wall! there's no real reason left not to go disc on a mtb.

The jury is still out in my opinion about disk brakes for bikes in general My new Trek 6500 came with disks, actually hydrolically operated disks. The do stop you on a dime and the effort is much less than what Ive had in the past.

My only complaint is that I get sand or grit caught in them and it makes a squeeking or scraping sound. Usually I can just tap the brake and clear it out, but a couple of times it was more persistant.

Mark

steve_18798 said:
Hey guys just wondering what the advantages are of having disc brakes over v-type brakes would be if any on a dual suspension bike. I was going to put discs on my rear only and go off road racing with my friends in windsor on ganatchio trail. Any help with this matter would greatly be appreciated, Thanks!!!

steve_18798 said:
most of the lighter suspension forks don't have V-brake bosses as the fork would snap under the load of stopping a wheel at the rim, therefore, they use discs to put the force on the hub...same with the rear...depending on the type if rear suspension, the stays may not line up with the wheel, so the V-brake would not line up with the rim...as in my bike, with 6" travel, that wheel pulls up and back

EDIT...forgot to mention that all of the better wheels no longer have rims to save on weight, so V-brakes would become V-breaks for these wheel

bigpedaler said:
go disc both ends -- you'd have to be a weakling weight weenie to care about the weight diff, and the discs f/r will stop you if you're rolling down a wall! there's no real reason left not to go disc on a mtb.
gets to be expensive doing a conversion...need the brakes, levers, new wheels, rotors, and you have to ensure that you have the clearance between the stays and at the fork for the new wheels

Best advice...if it ain't broke. why fix?