Disc brakes squeal due to loose pads?

x wrote:
> RE/
> > How _exactly_ would discs be superior?

> - Going down a grade that's slippery and/or covered with loose stones
> you'd be able to walk a finer line between washing out the front wheel
> and not having enough braking power.
> --
> PeteCresswell

And not saying anything about how they are'nt bothered when you suddenly
get a warped rim.

cheers from OZ

Stevedel

--

"SDMike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<WGjAc.5094$tC5.321@fed1read02>...
> "Evan Evans" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I won't say that someday disc brake will become useful , but they
> > arn't there yet & i won't use them until they are better than v's.

> "Better" depends on how you define it.
>
> In the muck and slop, discs are FAR superior. In general JRA it isn't as big a
> difference.

Downhill ... Ever blow a tire off a hot rim?

"SDMike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<WGjAc.5094$tC5.321@fed1read02>...
> "Evan Evans" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I won't say that someday disc brake will become useful , but they
> > arn't there yet & i won't use them until they are better than v's.

> "Better" depends on how you define it.
>
> In the muck and slop, discs are FAR superior. In general JRA it isn't as big a
> difference.

In the old days i.e. 20 years ago all brakes were lacking power in wet
conditions. Campy even in the dry :)
Now days dual pivot solved that for the road. Vs solved that for off
road. I have never ever had any problem stoping or even locking up a V
brake in any condition. So how can a disc be any better? Disc are
nothing but a fancy gadgit. They are in the same vain as those
spinning hub caps you see on hip hop suv's. Cool factor. As far as Vs
working with a bent rim. If you bend a rim that bad the frame will
prevent you from riding. Discs have so many negatives & no real
positives.

Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
>David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote:
>>I can lift or lock the rear wheel with my rim brakes, wet or dry. How
>>_exactly_ would discs be superior?

>I can't. When it gets really wet my stopping distances increase
>dramatically. I get almost no braking at first, until the pads
>squeegee off the water on the rim.

Then you need correctly designed and adjusted rim brakes. Obviously a bad
brake of any design is inadequate.

Our man Cholina weighs a great deal more than you and can get the effects
I describe with rim brakes.

SDMike <[email protected]> wrote:
>"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>I've never used V-brakes, but discs are far far superior to road rim
>>>brakes, especially in the wet.

>>I can lift or lock the rear wheel with my rim brakes, wet or dry. How
>>_exactly_ would discs be superior?

>By your argument, why did you leave cantis? Or Rollercams, or Scott
>Self-Energizing brakes,

Actually, I have a conventional cantilever on the front and a Suntour SE
cantilever on the rear; so by my argument, I didn't leave cantilevers
because they do the job well.

If people prefer the relatively easy adjustment of Vs to the relatively
long pad live of cantilevers, that's fair enough...

>Now, discs aren't for everyone. If you ride on bridle trails and MUTs, ferget
>it. Don't need 'em. Come riding in the woods of the middle Atlantic (or the
>UK) when conditions aren't perfect, then they're not a bad thing.

Perhaps you missed the words "road rim brakes" above.

(Pete Cresswell) <[email protected]> wrote:
>RE/
>>How _exactly_ would discs be superior?

>- Going down a grade that's slippery and/or covered with loose stones you'd be
>able to walk a finer line between washing out the front wheel and not having
>enough braking power.

This does not sound like a typical situation for _road_ rim brakes - not
that I have any difficulty modulating my front brake.

evan & david & the other doubters - you are entitled to your opinion,
but /please/ don't dismiss the experience of others without cause. rim
brakes are fine for the majority of users and in moderate conditions,
but /never/ try telling someone that's had to change rim brake pads half
way through a muddy ride that rim brakes are superior to disk.

it's disks that allow you to ride for three hours caked head to toe in
mud and filth and never miss a beat. rim brakes, when the mud is truly
smeared all over the rim acting like a lubricant, just don't work, even
with a death-grip. disks, being up out of the goop & with their drilled
surfaces, just don't have this problem, hence they are superior for
extreme conditions.

and that's why people in this thread are taking a contrary position to
you - they are relating their experiences.

thanks.

jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>evan & david & the other doubters - you are entitled to your opinion,
>but /please/ don't dismiss the experience of others without cause. rim
>brakes are fine for the majority of users and in moderate conditions,
>but /never/ try telling someone that's had to change rim brake pads half
>way through a muddy ride that rim brakes are superior to disk.

Evidently you missed the word "road" too. Check with your other sock
puppets to see if they saw it, "tux lover" ?

Jim Connelley wrote:
> "SDMike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<WGjAc.5094$tC5.321@fed1read02>...
>>In the muck and slop, discs are FAR superior. In general JRA it isn't as big a
>>difference.

> Downhill ... Ever blow a tire off a hot rim?

Nope. Have you?

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

<snip>

> Evidently you missed the word "road" too. Check with your other sock
> puppets to see if they saw it, "tux lover" ?
> --
> David Damerell <[email protected]> Kill the tomato!

That's great, but there's people out there saying categorically "disc brakes are
****." In more extreme conditions, discs are probably the best choice for
braking. All most other places and for more moderate riding, y'all are right:
discs are overkill.

If I lived somewhere where it rained LOTS and I HAD to ride in it, I'd have
discs on my road bike too. There's nothing like being able to stop without
having to squeegee the water off the rim.

I live in San Diego, so I'm happy with the performance of my road calipers. In
fact, I was tickled pink with the performance of my Dia Compe BRS200s (single
pivot) for many years. The only reason I'm not still riding them is that they
went to my little brother in VA. Who is still riding them!

I can still remember almost flipping myself over the bars shortly after DP
brakes came out and I upgraded one of my bikes. I was used to grabbing a
fistful of brakes. The DPs allowed you to grab fingerfuls of brake and do the
same thing.

On 18 Jun 2004 17:19:14 +0100 (BST), David Damerell
<[email protected]> wrote:

>jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>>evan & david & the other doubters - you are entitled to your opinion,
>>but /please/ don't dismiss the experience of others without cause. rim
>>brakes are fine for the majority of users and in moderate conditions,
>>but /never/ try telling someone that's had to change rim brake pads half
>>way through a muddy ride that rim brakes are superior to disk.

>Evidently you missed the word "road" too. Check with your other sock
>puppets to see if they saw it, "tux lover" ?

Dear David,

Perhaps you ought to say "paved road" or throw a tantrum?

Carl Fogel

SDMike <[email protected]> wrote:
>DAvid Damerell:
>>Evidently you missed the word "road" too. Check with your other sock
>>puppets to see if they saw it, "tux lover" ?

>That's great, but there's people out there saying categorically "disc
>brakes are ****."

I am not responsible for all the people "out there", thank God. :)

RE/
>>- Going down a grade that's slippery and/or covered with loose stones you'd be
>>able to walk a finer line between washing out the front wheel and not having
>>enough braking power.

>This does not sound like a typical situation for _road_ rim brakes - not
>that I have any difficulty modulating my front brake.

The only reasons for putting disk brakes on a road bike that I can think of are

- Reliability in the rain
- Being immune to a taco-d wheel
- Not exposing the sidewall to failure after a crash bends a pad enough so it's
bearing on same and the rider is too dumb to have checked before riding on
(don't ask where I got that one....)
- Interchangability with other bikes...

But these are all stretches IMHO.... Frankly, I think I'd even be just as happy
with a v-brake on the rear wheel of my FS if it weren't for my non-standard
calves banging on the control cable...
--
PeteCresswell

dvt <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Jim Connelley wrote:
> > "SDMike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<WGjAc.5094$tC5.321@fed1read02>...
> >>In the muck and slop, discs are FAR superior. In general JRA it isn't as big a
> >>difference.

> > Downhill ... Ever blow a tire off a hot rim?

> Nope. Have you?

Yep.

David Damerell wrote:
> jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>evan & david & the other doubters - you are entitled to your opinion,
>>but /please/ don't dismiss the experience of others without cause. rim
>>brakes are fine for the majority of users and in moderate conditions,
>>but /never/ try telling someone that's had to change rim brake pads half
>>way through a muddy ride that rim brakes are superior to disk.

> Evidently you missed the word "road" too. Check with your other sock
> puppets to see if they saw it, "tux lover" ?

what has "road" got to do with it? you're making blanket condemnations
of disk brakes and i'm merely pointing out that my experience with them
has been extremely positive. exactly why this should trigger a hostile
response from you is something i have trouble understanding.

and you, of all people, should be able to figure out the connection
between "tux lover" and my choice of o.s.

<snip>
> what has "road" got to do with it? you're making blanket condemnations
> of disk brakes and i'm merely pointing out that my experience with them
> has been extremely positive. exactly why this should trigger a hostile
> response from you is something i have trouble understanding.

Don't let him get to you. I think he just likes being contrary just to be
contrary.

I'll do the same thing, but I'm not quite as snooty when I do it.

jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>David Damerell wrote:
>>jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>but /never/ try telling someone that's had to change rim brake pads half
>>>way through a muddy ride that rim brakes are superior to disk.

>>Evidently you missed the word "road" too. Check with your other sock
>>puppets to see if they saw it, "tux lover" ?

>what has "road" got to do with it?

On the road one will not have to change rim brake pads halfway through a
muddy ride.

>you're making blanket condemnations of disk brakes

This is not true for two reasons; firstly, I am discussing road use, in
response to another poster's use of "road rim brakes" (so not "blanket");
and secondly, I am merely pointing out that they offer no advantages (so
not "condemnations").

>exactly why this should trigger a hostile
>response from you is something i have trouble understanding.

I've not time for sock puppetteers, especially ones like you who have
obviously changed identity merely because the old identity was correctly
identified as a nutcase.

> On the road one will not have to change rim brake pads halfway through a
> muddy ride.

And you're sure of this? I know that if you ride a pair of ceramic rims with
normal pads, sometimes you do have to change pads after one ride. Ditto with
carbon wheels. I have firsthand experience with this one.

Conceivably, if you do go ride a muddy road on a road bike, you COULD have the
situation where you'd need to change brake pads pretty quickly.

Not that a road bike would do real well on a mud-fest ride, but that's another
story. A cross bike maybe, but not a road bike with slicks.

On 21 Jun 2004 15:11:35 +0100 (BST), David Damerell
<[email protected]> wrote:

>jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>>David Damerell wrote:
>>>Evidently you missed the word "road" too. Check with your other sock
>>>puppets to see if they saw it, "tux lover" ?

>>what has "road" got to do with it?

>On the road one will not have to change rim brake pads halfway through a
>muddy ride.
>
>>you're making blanket condemnations of disk brakes

>This is not true for two reasons; firstly, I am discussing road use, in
>response to another poster's use of "road rim brakes" (so not "blanket");
>and secondly, I am merely pointing out that they offer no advantages (so
>not "condemnations").
>
>>exactly why this should trigger a hostile
>>response from you is something i have trouble understanding.

>I've not time for sock puppetteers, especially ones like you who have
>obviously changed identity merely because the old identity was correctly
>identified as a nutcase.

Dear David,

This is not true for two reasons.

So far, you've had time for two replies, the second
amusingly claiming that you have no such time.

Even more entertainingly, Jim isn't the one who looks like a
nutcase.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

SDMike <[email protected]> wrote:
David Damerell:
>>On the road one will not have to change rim brake pads halfway through a
>>muddy ride.

>And you're sure of this? I know that if you ride a pair of ceramic rims with
>normal pads, sometimes you do have to change pads after one ride. Ditto with
>carbon wheels. I have firsthand experience with this one.

Insert a "without demented equipment choices" if you like. I get thousands
of miles - in urban conditions, so with relatively frequent braking at
traffic lights, etc.; and I'm not averse to the occasional impromptu
expedition into mud and gravel off-road.

I expect with any basic design of brake you can get a defective model and
setup which chews through pads quickly.