disc brakes with QR dangerous?

Strelok

Apr 12, 2011
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames/home/disk_and_quick_release/index.html

http://sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html

What's really up? Is the mix dangerous?

I think you are looking to deeply into everything. Do you have a bike yet?

There are thousands of combinations of things you can do when building a bike. All of them have pros and cons. Researching is a great thing to do. I am getting the impression that when you come across a negative review or comment about something you are interested in you become overly concerned and seek out alternatives that eventually lead to more negative reviews.

maybe, but for now I'd like to know if this really is still something to worry about.

Go ahead and worry about it if it makes you feel better, but it's waste time to even worry about it on a bike that's going to be used like a commuter. It also won't be an issue in 14 months when you're still puzzling about what bike you think you want.

I'm pretty sure that people who ride their bikes around the world don't worry as much. Seriously. There's way too much overthinking going on.

Dangerous isn't a readily quantifiable value. Yes, there has been a few cases where disc braked wheels have been ejected. No one is questioning the mechanics of it any more.
And sure, a through axle or a Cotic fork with forward facing brake caliper will remove the risk.
But I guess it's in the vicinity of the risk of being struck by lightning.
Personally I make sure to use steel, internal cam q/r, That's enough risk management for me, and I'm not much of a daredevil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok .

What's really up? Is the mix dangerous?

Do you know WHAT type of fork is going to be on the apparently yet-to-be-determined bike?

Unless it is going to be a suspension fork which uses a through-axle then you really won't have an option unless you opt to replace the hub's hollow axle & quick release with a "solid" axle + nuts.

BTW. When in doubt, use either a Shimano or Campagnolo quick release skewer.

The fork will either be an IRD steel disc fork, the surlyh 1x1 disc fork, the surly troll fork, or whatever suspension fork comes on one of those sette bikes. I was looking at the fork on that sette jamr and thought it was rather interesting that the fork tabs angle toward the front.

Originally Posted by Strelok .

I was looking at the fork on that sette jamr and thought it was rather interesting that the fork tabs angle toward the front.

Well, it will reduce an already small risk to something even smaller. And it can be done with a very modest change to tooling, production process and the general look of the fork. Instead of having the slot aligned with the direction of the ejection force, it now sits at an intersecting angle. Not as "good" as having the caliper on the front, but far easier to introduce.

Here, I just found it. It's a panel cartoon from over one hundred years ago.
It is the best cartoon commentary, ever, in my opinion. It covers all the bases of life.

The original cartoon is not "cropped" and you can see that the big factory in the background
is busy, plume of coal smoke from the chimneys. And see the big sign across the factory roof too,
it's not just on the fence, "CASEY'S TOOL WORKS"

From the daily strip, "Bringing Up Father"

Will my front wheel fall off?
When in doubt, innoculate with penicillin.

The QR is applying the clamping clamping force to hold the wheel in the fork. The axle will be taking the braking and riding forces applied to the wheel. So with this in mind the only QR failure that will lead to wheel ejection is QR lever snapping due to fatigue or overclamping. I just checked my mountain bike by flipping the QR all the way open the wheel did not fall out I had to back off the threads around 6 full turns.

[SIZE= small]I confess I wasn’t really thinking about problems when I assembled my Salsa Vaya. I did notice that the fork had “Lawyer Lips” on it, so that even if the QR wasn’t tight enough, it couldn’t get it out of the dropouts past the lips. So far, in a year and a half I haven’t had a bit of trouble with it and I am impressed how well the mechanical disk brakes work.[/SIZE]