Disc Brakes

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by kwa_zulu, Oct 31, 2004.

1. kwa_zulu

kwa_zulu New Member

Hi
    I bought a new Giant Hybrid for my wife and I'm having a problem with the front disc brake. I could always take it to the shop I bought it from but I would like to see if I could fix the problem myself first, as we are going to ride the 2005 Great Tassie bike ride. Well the problem is that the front disc brake squeeks like crazy, I was told that the pads aren't sitting correctly or they could also be dirty. Well I just spent 1/2hour having a look and it seems one of the pads my be just slightly out and I'm not sure how to fix this as thier doesn't seem to be a fine adjustment screw. Is thier a webpage some where that goes though this in detail for me to check out. Any help would be great thx.

Regards Steve

Tags:

2. DarrylZ

DarrylZ New Member

Hi Steve
    Sometimes in the initial bedding in period the dust from the pads & discs will accumulate creating a smooth layer of residue on the pads & discs which may be causing the squeeking.

Take the wheel out and use some brake specific disc brake cleaner or alternatively some methylated spirits to wipe the disc with thoroughly.
    Remove the brake pads and with +- 600 gauge sandpaper very lightly smooth over the pads braking surface to remove any accumulated residue.
    Beware not to place your fingers on the brake pads ,braking surface.

Then re assemble and try out.

Good luck.

D

3. kwa_zulu

kwa_zulu New Member

Hi DarrylZ
    I went back to the bike after reading someting on a website and it said use meths. I got heaps of black dust off them and I also did the disc too and it seems to have worked all seems good now. Thanks for the reply, we have just taken up cycling and enjoy it heaps, we nearly died yesterday after the big ride 29C LOL.

Regards Steve