Disc Brakes ??

pacostrek

Jul 26, 2005
I just bought a Giant Cypress bike for casual riding with the wife, and have a question. This bike doesn't have disc brakes, but is it possible to take off the stock brakes and install disc brakes, or do the wheels need to be made special for disc brakes. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

if there are not pegs for disc brakes on the frame and fork, you cannot put disc brakes on it... not a stupid question at all! I only recently learned this, myself.

My Felt Trevisa has the mounts for disc calipers, however it would need new wheels/tyres, levers/shifters, so its cheaper to buy a disc brake bike.

There are adapters out there to allow you to mount a disk brake caliper to your non-disk frame. I would not do it, though, because the frame was not designed to have the braking load placed on the seatstay the way a disk brake setup does and you might damage your frame. You can always buy a front fork that was designed to be used with a disk brake and get a front-only disk brake setup.

In addition to installing the caliper you will need new hubs that allow you to mount the disk itself.

There are mechanical disk brake systems out there that use standard long-throw brake levers like the ones used with V-brakes. The ones I have on my bike are the Avid BB7, which many have said, are quite possibly the best mechanical disk brakes available today.

Something that isn't very commonly known is that you need to check with the frame manufacturer as to the largest disk size that they recommend before going out and buying the adapters and larger rotors. Larger rotors will give you greater braking power but if you go with a system that is larger than the manufacturer designed the frame/fork for you can damage your frame and the manufacturer will more than likely not warranty it.

for most people standard V-Brakes (avids or shimano's) are more than enough stopping power. Unless you are braking heavy constantly the benefits of hydraulic disc brakes will never be found, eg. downhill racing, or riding in very messy/muddy conitions. I did not mention cable actuated disc brakes as most of them are not as strong of stopping power as good v-brakes and never stay adjusted for any duration of time (drag, don't retract, etc..). This results in major dissatisfaction by the consumer.

If your frame is not designed around the use of disc brakes you will not be able to use them. If you frame is disc compatable you will need the disc brake setup, plus a new wheelset that is disc compatable.

i just went over the giant website and the only cypress (dx model) they have without disc brakes is about $370 US. You are likley going to spend more on a quality disk brake setup with wheels than you did on the actual bike. I would not think it is worth it.

The bike you bought is fine for riding around and just enjoying the scenery. You are probably better off with the model you bought than the next model up with disc brakes. Those cheap disc brakes can be very annoying.