Disc Brakes

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by jwroubaix, Feb 22, 2015.

1. stevegreer

stevegreer Member

I guess I'm a bit of an old school purist. I love rim brakes and doubt I will ever have anything else on my road bikes. Now, my mountain bike is a different story. I have disc brakes, and feel they are necessary as I ride in mud, dirt, water puddles, etc., and the stopping power they offer in those conditions can't be surpassed. The only issue I have with them is the metallic grinding /squealing sound they make when wet.

2. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

I call bullshit on the boiling point of hydraulic fluid on a road bicycle - what the hell are they using, recycled vegetable oil? I worried about my brake fluid getting toasty once but that was on a Yahama FZR1000 EXUP that was going from full on the gas at one-hundred-and-plenty miles per hour and then jamming on the anchors every 15 seconds or so on a track. That'll get disk brakes toasty. If you're over heating a 140mm or 160mm disk on a sub 20lb bicycle then you need to take lessons from the local 5 year old girl on how to go around corners on a bike.

The Tour of Oman. There was one unfortunate team riding run of the mill bargain basement carbon tubular rims that had three riders have tires explode on one corner of a descent. There's no coincidence there. Even with tubs, heat is an issue. Either the glue melts and tires roll or the pressure increases and tires go bang. Better rims handle heat better but unless you're riding Zipp Firestrike 404's then you ain't matching braking on alloy rims. Period. End of story. In the heat even Enve's are not the same. In the wet then even Firecrest's are not the same. I've not had the pleasure of riding Firestrikes but I hear good things.

You can say what you want about wheel weight but even with my PowerTap that supposedly measures to +/- 1.5% I can't tell the difference on a 10 minute climb between a light front wheel and a 36 hole behemoth with Campag Omega rims, Campag Victory hubs and DT plain gauge 3X spokes build date circa 1986 with the same tires and tubes on both wheels.

Volnix rides like a 3 year old girl. Dura Ace pads are the absolute business. Stoppers par excellence.

It says it all really. Big guy rides regular alloy rims and blows up tires. Rides disk brakes and shit don't blow up. I'd rather take spare pads than a spare face and band aids.

3. ABNPFDR

ABNPFDR Member

On a MTB bike, disk brakes make total sense.

On a commuter or touring bike which may see lots of bad road conditions they make sense as well.

I just don't understand them on a road bike.

4. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Henri Desgrange didn't see the point of multiple gears on a bicycle. He called riders that used them weak and even went as far as banning them from the Tour de France for a while...

All I see more of with carbon rims and caliper brakes is more crashes in Pro races. Roads are better, tyres are better the only thing that isnt better is the braking. Looking at the average speed of races, they certainly ain't going a lot, if any, faster than before. Read into that what you will.

5. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Quote by swami:
    "... but that was on a Yahama FZR1000 EXUP..."

You've managed to splat motorbikes with disc brakes just as well as you pasted your face all over some dude's house with a bicycle.

"I'd rather take spare pads than a spare face and band aids."

I'ld rather you just learn how to ride a bicycle and a motorcycle and stop blaming the machine. Your history tells me it's not the type of brake that's questionable, but rather your lack of good judgment and skill.

As for the spare face...you'ld need that in any event.

And make sure you stop and swap in new pads half way down the huge hill. Be careful you don't burn your fingers and have fun with your new quick release thru axle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxXqQqAc2pA

6. aziraphale77

aziraphale77 New Member

I tried either on a similar bike setup recently.
    It's a road bike used both for commuting and cycling.
    The extra weight was not worth the advantage of slightly more responsive breaks.

7. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

Personally, I would not want a bike that breaks.

aziraphale77 likes this.
  8. vespid49

vespid49 New Member

I think disk brakes are more versatile. For instance, if you bike in the rain with rims, you're going to have a fun time bumping into cars and sliding through red lights. With disk brakes, you'll stop a lot faster, even in the rain, although if your wheels lock you might skid a bit. In terms of road safety, I think disk brakes are better because they allow for a much faster response which is always useful when traversing the volatile pavement that is the road.

9. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Member

I feel they are more safe for the casual rider, but when we are doing competition the weight might make the difference in the negative direction. So, as for me, I am really happy with mine as these days I mostly ride with my kid. :)

10. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Somebody is talking sense here.

If you feel as though disc brakes will enhance your road biking experience, buy them. If you don't, don't worry, you aren't going to die.

11. schwinnhund

schwinnhund New Member

I guess they are OK, but I never saw anything wrong with plain old properly-adjusted and maintained caliper breaks. I really love cantilever brakes. They are easy to work on, adjust and maintain. Disc-brakes...well, I live 30-45 miles from the nearest bike shop, so I am not crazy about anything I need to have done at a shop.

Any brakes, disc, or otherwise, are only as good as the person using them. Disc brakes will not make up for poor breaking decisions and techniques. No matter how high-tech ....nothing is idiot-proof.

My suggestion is use what you like. It's your bike.

12. egrocket

egrocket New Member

Disc brakes are so much better. I get all my wheels replaced in store so they deal with all the considerations there. I hope this helps, and I think that you'll enjoy disc brakes.

13. pinkride

pinkride New Member

I am not an expert by any means, but from my personal experience I would say disc brakes just feel better. They suit me cause I prefer a tighter grip on my bike, but it is all a matter of taste I guess. Just try them before buying and see what fits you best.