Disc brakes

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Fm, Apr 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fm

Fm Guest

I'm tired of replacing brake blocks so I'd like opinion on disc brakes for bikes ie whether they're
    worth the expense, how frequently they need replaced, common problems etc. Thanks to anyone who
    contributes.

Moisioly

Tags:

2. Peter Clinch

Peter Clinch Guest

FM wrote:
    > I'm tired of replacing brake blocks so I'd like opinion on disc brakes for bikes ie whether
    > they're worth the expense, how frequently they need replaced, common problems etc. Thanks to
    > anyone who contributes.

Disc brake pads need replacing just like blocks, so that's a pretty pointless reason to change.
    Beyond that, IME they work better as brakes, but whether sufficiently better to justify the expense
    is your call and would depend in part on the sort of riding you do: descent MTBing, why don't you
    have them already?, road racing, can you even find a set that work on drop bar levers, especially
    STI?, and so on.

Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

3. Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> can you even find a set that work on drop bar levers, especially STI?, and so on.
    >

Cannondale do a disc-equipped 'cross bike that uses Shimano 105 STIs; can't remember who makes the
    brakes themselves, though. Discs definitely have their advantages in cyclo-cross; autumn racing
    tends to clog up the areas around rim brakes [1] with a mix of dead leaves and mud - I speak from
    personal experience :-(

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

[1] Sometimes such that the front wheel locks due to assorted muck building up under the fork crown.

4. Eatmorpies

Eatmorpies Guest

"FM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm tired of replacing brake blocks so I'd like opinion on disc brakes for bikes ie whether
    > they're worth the expense, how frequently they need replaced, common problems etc

They are excellent. I have a Hope on the front and a Deore on the back (Marin FRS used in mucky
    Mid-Wales). The pads last a very long time (best part of a year) and now aftermarket pads are
    available for 60% of the cost of OEM ones. The Deore brakes are much cheaper than Hope and work as
    well. But; the Deore rear hub lasted too short a time, the bearings kept going slack and the
    freebody became waggly in 3 months. I replaced the hub with an XT - much better quality. Also, rims
    will last a very long time, I found that Magura hydraulic rim brakes were effective but wore rims
    very quickly.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.